GR Symphony to perform free at RPC on Tuesday the 22nd

How awesome is this?! :thumbsup:

Grand Rapids Symphony plans free outdoor concert

The Grand Rapids Press

The Grand Rapids Symphony will perform at noon Tuesday in a free concert on Rosa Parks Circle.

Associate conductor John Varineau will conduct the performance, lasting less than one hour, near the Grand Rapids Art Museum.

I think I'll plan a noon lunch at RPC on Tuesday.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure wish I (still) worked DT. They coming to the Townships any time soon? (The cruise event has included a sock hop in the Costco parking lot; they could play there.)

ETA: the concert will conclude with The Stars & Stripes Forever. It won't be introduced; the director will acknowledge applause for the penultimate number, then turn around and they'll rip right into it.

A very pleasant concert. A brass lover's dream, in fact.

I had a scooter-side seat...I figured one way to avoid being ticketed (again!) is to take a proprietary stance and never let the Vespa out from under me. I guess it worked.

Well into the concert, one passing mongoloid shouted, "That ain't Ozzy Osborne!" More clorox in the gene pool, please.

Why do Grand Rapidians refuse to wear hats? If it were any warmer out there in that concrete enclave, there would have been several cases of heatstroke.

It would have been better had Varineau been miked, but oh well, it was free!

Ah-ha, I remember seeing you, zen. Didn't realise that was you, though. Also, I thought that guy next to me under the tree was awfully familiar. About halfway through I sat right next to you, GRDad, trying to get out of the sun. I remember seeing you take that first photo there, thinking "I wonder if that's... hmm. I suppose I'll see if that shot shows up on UP tonight."

Here's to hoping we'll see more of these this summer.

Also: Usually I do wear some sort of hat, but I was running late because I couldn't find my wallet, and my other hat is in the trunk of a pedicab yet.

Ah-ha, I remember seeing you, zen. Didn't realise that was you, though. Also, I thought that guy next to me under the tree was awfully familiar. About halfway through I sat right next to you, GRDad, trying to get out of the sun. I remember seeing you take that first photo there, thinking "I wonder if that's... hmm. I suppose I'll see if that shot shows up on UP tonight."

Here's to hoping we'll see more of these this summer.

Also: Usually I do wear some sort of hat, but I was running late because I couldn't find my wallet, and my other hat is in the trunk of a pedicab yet.

Good for the GRSO, or at least part of it.

Regarding concerts in the burbs: when I was in the orchestra, we did run-outs to Interlochen, GVSC (no U at that time) and Ferris State. I expect that the orchestra has done similar concerts since (they even appeared at Carnegie Hall). However, it is expensive to do concerts outside of your own hall (salaries, buses, etc.), so don't expect concerts in the townships any time soon. But it's not that hard to get to DeVos Hall.

"more Clorox in the gene pool." Gotta use that sometime. :-)

Good for the GRSO, or at least part of it.

Regarding concerts in the burbs: when I was in the orchestra, we did run-outs to Interlochen, GVSC (no U at that time) and Ferris State. I expect that the orchestra has done similar concerts since (they even appeared at Carnegie Hall). However, it is expensive to do concerts outside of your own hall (salaries, buses, etc.), so don't expect concerts in the townships any time soon. But it's not that hard to get to DeVos Hall.

"more Clorox in the gene pool." Gotta use that sometime. :-)

Archived