staycation

sean

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's all I do.... nothing like home! There's always something to do, at home! And there's always something going on around town... or even a few miles outside of town. Going across state lines or to other countries is overrated. That's why they created the Travel Channel, so you don't have to.

As for what this actually is, I had a friend who used one week a year to stay home and never gave it much thought. Last year my partner and I took off 6 days around the Labor Day weekend. Travel plans got screwed up and we ended up staying at home. We didn't tell anyone we work with, stayed at our condo, at the pool, cooked most all meals together at home, watched movies, and basically chilled like we were on vacation the whole time. It was actually one of the most relaxing vacations I've had. We did a long weekend of this again at the beginning of this summer.

That's all I do.... nothing like home! There's always something to do, at home! And there's always something going on around town... or even a few miles outside of town. Going across state lines or to other countries is overrated. That's why they created the Travel Channel, so you don't have to.

If my job had me constantly traveling around the world, then a staycation might sound appealing.

Sacrificing a vacation because of fuel prices seems ridiculous to me. Aren't vacations about spending money?

If the price of fuel is the issue, why not take a look at your everyday routines?

Hartford just put up a big banner above the highway entering downtown. Something about STAYCATION CONNECTICUT.

looks stupid.

But as far as my opinion.

I hate the idea of letting gas affect your life. I save vigorously so I can travel. I just got back from the west coast, and spent frivalously while there. I will be heading to Scottland this fal the airfare be damned. but I also will never finance a car (the worst investment every american loves to make) I will never cary credit card debt.(the 2nd worst investment)

Since I save thousands a year by bringing my lunch to work, and owning my car outright and never carying a balance on my credit cards.

I do not mean to sound like I am preaching, but if the simple ways to save that I use make it so my wife and I can go where ever we want while people who earn the same as us are struggling to pay the bills.

Also, paying say 800 per person to fly to Europe while it is expensive, it is not that bad when you think about spending 200 a night to sleep and even more on entertainment and food. The thing that has put any caution into my travel plans has been the fall in value of the $US vs the Euro. The way too expensive for my blood honeymoon I went on last year for $7000 would cost 8031 today. The airfare would just be an additional 400 between the two of us. So the same trip might cost 1500 more this year vs last year.

I am hoping to do 2 weeks in Scotland for something like 4k-5k including air.

Archived