Redevelopment along 28th Street

highwayguy

What happened to CompUSA?? Did they close down or go out of business?? I didn't even know that it closed down! I didn't even know chedders closed down and was torn down as well.

CompUSA closed down last year sometime; I recall seeing an article about on-line sales hurting their brick & mortar ones.

http://www.compusa.com/ Looks like they retained a handful of stores in Florida and three in Texas.

CompUSA closed down last year sometime; I recall seeing an article about on-line sales hurting their brick & mortar ones.

http://www.compusa.com/ Looks like they retained a handful of stores in Florida and three in Texas.

I think it's been 5+ years since Chedders shut down, maybe closer to 10. It had been scuttled for a couple years and torn down to make way for the Sam's Club gas station. If memory serves me correctly, it went in after Costco came into town and put in their own gas station.

• 1 month later...

- The mini-strip mall across from Centerpointe is close to done, the exterior signage for Chipotle is already up on the building. None of the other spaces are marked yet.

- The former Greek Deli is coming along, and guess who the fist tenent is? A "cash-for-your-gold!!!" place. :wacko:

- There's a building going up on the SE corner of 28th and the Beltine (where the Ethan Allen used to be?). Anybody know what's going on there?

The new strip mall at 28th and Broadmoor will include a Jared's Jewelers, All Care Dental and other professional offices.

http://www.mlive.com/grandrapids/stories/i....xml&coll=6

As much as it's fun to watch the big toys moving dirt for the new Menard's, I'm saddened that another hole will be created in Centerpointe Mall (and require me to patronize Lowe's even more). Any news on what might be coming to fill in the old Linen's & Things, Klingman's and Menard's?

Also, Chi-Chi's was never in the old Greek/Schlotzsky's/A&W building - it was located where Seoul Garden is now. The original occupant of the other building was Farro's Ice Cream, IIRC. I can still picture the striped-shirted waiters, funny hats, and foot-long banana splits...

- The mini-strip mall across from Centerpointe is close to done, the exterior signage for Chipotle is already up on the building. None of the other spaces are marked yet.

- The former Greek Deli is coming along, and guess who the fist tenent is? A "cash-for-your-gold!!!" place. :wacko:

- There's a building going up on the SE corner of 28th and the Beltine (where the Ethan Allen used to be?). Anybody know what's going on there?

Given the price of gold right now, this should be no surprise.

The new strip mall at 28th and Broadmoor will include a Jared's Jewelers, All Care Dental and other professional offices.

http://www.mlive.com/grandrapids/stories/i....xml&coll=6

As much as it's fun to watch the big toys moving dirt for the new Menard's, I'm saddened that another hole will be created in Centerpointe Mall (and require me to patronize Lowe's even more). Any news on what might be coming to fill in the old Linen's & Things, Klingman's and Menard's?

Also, Chi-Chi's was never in the old Greek/Schlotzsky's/A&W building - it was located where Seoul Garden is now. The original occupant of the other building was Farro's Ice Cream, IIRC. I can still picture the striped-shirted waiters, funny hats, and foot-long banana splits...

I vaguely remember Farrel's - I was quite young when it was around.

Quick google search:

http://www.happyitis.biz/

http://www.farrellsusa.com/

I think I always got a root-beer float when we went, so I could take the little plastic mugs home.

I vaguely remember Farrel's - I was quite young when it was around.

Quick google search:

http://www.happyitis.biz/

http://www.farrellsusa.com/

I think I always got a root-beer float when we went, so I could take the little plastic mugs home.

Thanks for the correct spelling (Farrell's). No wonder I wasn't able to find anything by googling Faro's! Those weblinks brought back a lot of wonderful memories...

I still miss Cheddar's (5 years gone now) for their food and casual atmosphere; unfortunately, their service grew worse near the end as they fell victim to increased competition up and down 28th St.

Bring back Mountain Jack's!!

I still miss Cheddar's (5 years gone now) for their food and casual atmosphere; unfortunately, their service grew worse near the end as they fell victim to increased competition up and down 28th St.

There is still a Cheddar's in Lansing. It actually closed a while back, but then reopened just a month or two ago. It's on Saginaw Hwy, about 1 1/2 miles east of I-96. Interestingly, right next door is Finley's, another chain that has been absent from the Grand Rapids area for many years now.

There is still a Cheddar's in Lansing. It actually closed a while back, but then reopened just a month or two ago. It's on Saginaw Hwy, about 1 1/2 miles east of I-96. Interestingly, right next door is Finley's, another chain that has been absent from the Grand Rapids area for many years now.

Didn't Finley's used to be "Schelde's" and before that "Mr. Steak"? Another nice stroll down memory lane...

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else happen to notice the loss of one of the last actual lived-in houses along 28th Street? It was located between Madison and Eastern on the south side next to Courtesy Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep and is now a site for displaying Jeep products.

The only reason I bring this up is it seemed like that lot had just about the only natural tree left on 28th - of course, it's since been cut down. The only other prominent tree I can recall is in between BD's Mongolian BBQ and Toyota of Grand Rapids. Just think about how different 28th would appear with a nice stately canopy...

Did anyone else happen to notice the loss of one of the last actual lived-in houses along 28th Street? It was located between Madison and Eastern on the south side next to Courtesy Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep and is now a site for displaying Jeep products.

The only reason I bring this up is it seemed like that lot had just about the only natural tree left on 28th - of course, it's since been cut down. The only other prominent tree I can recall is in between BD's Mongolian BBQ and Toyota of Grand Rapids. Just think about how different 28th would appear with a nice stately canopy...

It is pretty amazing how much of a difference one tree can make in a setting like 28th street. I suppose no one wants trees next to their business, however, because it will block signage. There are a couple trees on the South side of 28th just West of the house you talk about; they're in front of the Kellogg's factory. You're right though, trees along 28th are hard to find.

• 2 weeks later...

hmm trees on 28th. I guess most you guys dont travel on the West side of 28th. Shameful, shameful, you are missing out on the Wyman and all of his downtown he calls home. :P

The Wyoming DDA is presently seeking an executive director. (A concept which caused much hilarity at 300 N Monroe last week. "They don't have a D!") I'd apply, but it would be sortof like adding bicycle parking to the median of M-6.

In other news, the Knight's Inn is coming down. The strip closest to the freeway has been leveled.

yeah he is retiring. They are also looking at creating another position. I am not sure what qualifications you would need to be head of the DDA but if it were up to me I take Marge of Marge's Doughnuts or the son of Bob Israel that is currently on the board.

yeah he is retiring. They are also looking at creating another position. I am not sure what qualifications you would need to be head of the DDA but if it were up to me I take Marge of Marge's Doughnuts or the son of Bob Israel that is currently on the board.

Who he? Not Wy-Man?!?

Usually for a professional position (disclaimer: I have not read the job description), one wants a f/t employee with no conflict of interest or need for recusal.

ETA: position doesn't yet exist. http://www.mlive.com/grpress/business/inde...ld_on_klin.html

Edited by Veloise

let me explain myself better. First the head of the DDA commission is leaving. Thats the position that Bobs son should take up. They also have been in discussion in creating a DDA executive position. I do not know precisely who would be paying for the position and what the roll would be. Just been reading it in the minutes that have been posted. If you know more info about that position please fill me in. As for Wyman he still exists although I have not seen the guy lately.

...In other news, the Knight's Inn is coming down. The strip closest to the freeway has been leveled.

Site will be cleared by about 3 pm. Election Day brought change to 28th Street too.

knights-1.jpg

knights-2.jpg

knights-3.jpg

knights-4.jpg

knights-5.jpg

knights-6.jpg

Go get 'em, Maryann. This looks like it would be fun to do (for a couple hours).

knights-7.jpg

The former swimming pool.

knights-8.jpg

Edited by Veloise

I've always like Best Buy better, personally.

Also, the Knight's Inn is now almost completely gone. I also noticed the new Fox dealership is well underway (with the base for sidewalks going in, I noticed), as well as the new developments where the old Ethan Allen used to be. Grading for the new Menard's also looks almost complete. It's not even a hollow back there anymore, and almost all level with Art Van.

M@C (the Cascade Meijer) is developing its big outlot at Kraft. Formerly a Chinese restaraunt, long gone.

Last week the driveways/curb & gutter were pretty much complete; probably a restaurant, possibly with a drive-up. And new signage was being installed; there's been a meijer sign atop a blue lattice pedestal, adjacent to a ground sign listing the various motels. Now there's a taller ground sign, with (blank) spaces for the various entities.

Still no COMING SOON sneak preview signs.

M@C (the Cascade Meijer) is developing its big outlot at Kraft. Formerly a Chinese restaraunt, long gone.

Last week the driveways/curb & gutter were pretty much complete; probably a restaurant, possibly with a drive-up. And new signage was being installed; there's been a meijer sign atop a blue lattice pedestal, adjacent to a ground sign listing the various motels. Now there's a taller ground sign, with (blank) spaces for the various entities.

Still no COMING SOON sneak preview signs.

I believe it's a bank, with room for other retail bays.

Oh, I also noticed on I-96 a sign for the new Meijer carpool lot. Looked like a state-issued one. :thumbsup: I'm hardly ever on 28th St, but I had to go down that way twice last week.