Redevelopment along 28th Street

highwayguy

Site will be cleared by about 3 pm. Election Day brought change to 28th Street too.

I don't think anyone's mentioned this update on the Drury Inn sight where the Knights Inn was just torn down:

According to the Cascade Twp Planning Commission Minutes of September 4, Drury Inn proposed building a 73-foot, 7-story hotel (as mentioned before). (Height limit in the township is 3 stories or 35 feet.) The PC approved the proposal 7-1, but are requiring the building be no taller than 54 feet.

So that's what, a 4 or 5 story hotel then?

I am not sure if drury owns the property to be honest. But considering the aspect that it seems they did not fight the planning commission after allowing a 54' hotel maybe they just figured they knock off 2 feet and extend it a touch. I did not see it in future meetings so it appears they accepted the PUD language.

nevemind they do own it now. I did check all of the meetings after the PUD was approved by the commission. It appears they did not fight proposal so it appears it will happen.

Edited by aowwt

The Wyoming DDA is presently seeking an executive director. (A concept which caused much hilarity at 300 N Monroe last week. "They don't have a D!") I'd apply, but it would be sortof like adding bicycle parking to the median of M-6.

In other news, the Knight's Inn is coming down. The strip closest to the freeway has been leveled.

Studio 28 is holding a press conference on Friday. Speculation that Meijer is going to build on that land.

Studio 28 is holding a press conference on Friday. Speculation that Meijer is going to build on that land.

There is more than enough room for a Meijer store at that location. It would make for a good replacement for the 28th/K'zoo store. Due to a fairly dense population surrounding the area and room Meijer could opt. for its 192,000 sq. ft. version of its store prototype vs. the smaller 156,000 version that was rejected by the GR PC. The only sad part would leaving a vacant building behind and a hit on GR's tax revenue. However before I'd get my hopes up. Is Studio 28 thinking of closing its doors?

There is more than enough room for a Meijer store at that location. It would make for a good replacement for the 28th/K'zoo store. Due to a fairly dense population surrounding the area and room Meijer could opt. for its 192,000 sq. ft. version of its store prototype vs. the smaller 156,000 version that was rejected by the GR PC. The only sad part would leaving a vacant building behind and a hit on GR's tax revenue. However before I'd get my hopes up. Is Studio 28 thinking of closing its doors?

I read on WZZM's page that studio 28 is holding a news conference. It maybe true that studio 28 could soon be closing it's doors. WZZM states that they learned from a celebration cinema worker that the theater is closing. As for the meijer store. The meijer that's on 28th and Kalamazoo is not in the city of Wyoming, it is in the city of Grand Rapids. Studio 28 is in Wyoming. And some of you think that Meijer would build a store there. The only issue is there's the meijer on Clyde Park/54th. Do you think a new Meijer store would hurt business at the one on Clyde Park? That issue needs to be considered. A new meijer store could also hurt the other grocery stores in the area as well.

Update: 24 hour news 8 says that Studio 28 is to close on November 24, 2008, and that there will be an official announcement tomorrow. They are saying that none of the employees will be laid off. They have the option of going to work for a celebration cinema or quitting their jobs.

I read on WZZM's page that studio 28 is holding a news conference. It maybe true that studio 28 could soon be closing it's doors. WZZM states that they learned from a celebration cinema worker that the theater is closing. As for the meijer store. The meijer that's on 28th and Kalamazoo is not in the city of Wyoming, it is in the city of Grand Rapids. Studio 28 is in Wyoming. And some of you think that Meijer would build a store there. The only issue is there's the meijer on Clyde Park/54th. Do you think a new Meijer store would hurt business at the one on Clyde Park? That issue needs to be considered. A new meijer store could also hurt the other grocery stores in the area as well.

Update: 24 hour news 8 says that Studio 28 is to close on November 24, 2008, and that there will be an official announcement tomorrow. They are saying that none of the employees will be laid off. They have the option of going to work for a celebration cinema or quitting their jobs.

That's too bad that Studio 28 is closing. I saw the first Batman movie in theater 1. The sound system was awesome and the screen was massive. However I'm not surprised that it's closing. Today with good home theater options allowing people to watch movies in the privacy and comfort of home, going through the time and expense of watching a movie in a theatre becomes less justifiable. I've got a good Hi-Def LCD TV, a good audio system, and Blu-Ray player and I have a good movie theater like experience from my setup. Of course my stuff is all hi-end. But even a home theatre in a box and a decent TV purchased from Meijer will provide a nice platform to watch movies. So its really not as compelling to watch a movie in a theater than it was a decade or two ago.

As for a Meijer store on the Studio 28 site hurting the Clyde Park Meijer, their would be some market cannibalizing for sure. But Meijer wants to have a store every 3 miles wherever possible. The distance between Studio 28 and the Clyde Park Meijer is about 3 1/2 miles. In addition after measuring some distances on Google Earth, Meijer could even keep the 28th street store open since it and Studio 28 is just over 3 miles apart. If they opt. for the smaller 156,000 sq. ft. iteration of their store prototype, the Clyde Park store would not feel much effect. Infact I would be worried more for Family Fair and esp. that other small Grocery store by the Marathon station if Meijer built a store on the Studio 28 site.

Edited by tamias6

What's the difference between being laid off and forced to quit? :dontknow:

What's the difference between being laid off and forced to quit? :dontknow:

They are apparently guaranteed positions at other theaters if they don't mind transferring.

WOODTV cracks me up. Last night they were reporting speculation, again. Even though they had confirmation from Loeks that there would be a press conference this morning, they felt obligated to report an email they got from an employee at Studio 28.

They are apparently guaranteed positions at other theaters if they don't mind transferring.

WOODTV cracks me up. Last night they were reporting speculation, again. Even though they had confirmation from Loeks that there would be a press conference this morning, they felt obligated to report an email they got from an employee at Studio 28.

Was it the Geha? Where's GRObserver?!? :)

I totally agree I went to see a nice family movie a few guys were bored decided to talk loud throughout the movie so that everyone could hear when someone asked them to quiet down they proceded to swear in front of kids. Studio 28 I stuck to going there only because i grew up going there but the place really went down hill. However still sad to see a landmark like this close. I wonder how this will affect some of the other business in the area. I believe Applbees had the dinner and a move special.

Edited by Grandrapidsne

I don't think anyone's mentioned this update on the Drury Inn site where the Knights Inn was just torn down:

According to the Cascade Twp Planning Commission Minutes of September 4, Drury Inn proposed building a 73-foot, 7-story hotel (as mentioned before). (Height limit in the township is 3 stories or 35 feet.) The PC approved the proposal 7-1, but are requiring the building be no taller than 54 feet. ...

Site is cleared, looks like the foundations are gone, along with the pool, and the container of shredded motel parts. Still parked there: a yellow Maryann and a 'dozer.

I believe it's a bank, with room for other retail bays.

Oh, I also noticed on I-96 a sign for the new Meijer carpool lot. Looked like a state-issued one. :thumbsup: I'm hardly ever on 28th St, but I had to go down that way twice last week.

The new pedestal sign base is topped with the meijer sign previously attached to the blue latticework (which is gone). The sign has three large spaces for your headliners, and six smaller spots for supporting players.

Ray Charles could find that M-DOT carpool lot. There's a "next exit" sign (with an approximation of the store logo) for the southbounders, a directional sign at the exit ramp, another one by the gas station entrance, and one deeper in the parking lot pointing towards the Kraft-most parking strip. And there's one by the pine trees in the designated area.

I'm dissappointed to hear about Studio 28, though not surprised. For a few years now one could show up to a flick 5 minutes early on opening night and have any seat in the house. Does anyone think Loeks may have plans for a theater downtown? I know the Gallery on Fulton will house several screens, but these will be for non-mainstream films (as the UICA currently shows). It seems like those of us living in the city (many, I presume) have to travel quite a ways to see a movie. I for one think a theater would do very well downtown.

WZZM is giving fuel to the fire on the Meijer rumors.

Loeks' son J.D., the company's Chief Operating Officer, said "Weve talked to many big boxes, Meijer is one of them, we don't have a deal with Meijer at this point but we'd like to continue conversations with them."

Meijer spokesman Frank J. Guglielmi said "While we constantly look at property in the five states where we have stores, we currently have no plans to purchase the Studio 28 property."

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_story.aspx...72&catid=14

My guess is that Meijer will do whatever it takes to prevent this land from falling into Walmart's hands.

Edited by Gorath

Anyone think that Meijer may have dropped the fight for the Kalamazoo / 28th street store location because it knew that this property was coming up for sale? Wyoming would welcome them with open arms, whereas GR seems to have already rolled up and put away the welcoming mat. If I owned a business, it'd be a no-brainer to go where I'm welcome and wanted.

I'll miss Studio 28. I'm going to go to a few matinees there this week because Studio (along with Alpine 4 and Quad 6) was where I went to the movies growing up, and it will be missed. Spent hours waiting for my parents in the arcade at Studio. But enough with nostalgia.

Studio is probably the easiest theater to get to from downtown, and its closing pretty much cements the idea that you have to go the suburbs (or further out in the suburbs) to go to the movies. Of course, Loeks owns or opened most of those theaters too, and I guess Studio couldn't compete with them. Maybe this will open a door for a downtown theater somewhere down the road.

What about a store like IKEA taking its place? With Israel's store right down the road, another big furniture draw might work.

• 1 month later...

Chipotle is opening Friday, Jan 23rd. Put it on your calendars!

(As an aside, I just found out that Lansing just got a Chipotle as well. They must be making a push into MI/the Midwest).

East Lansing has had at least one Chipotle for several years. They have also had a Pottbelly for a few years too. I think they get some of these "hot" concepts before GR, due to the young "hip" and very large crowd at MSU.