PROPOSED: AI Tech Center

ConnMan

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really?

I will just take his words for their simple meaninf and not read too much into them. If there is some cryptology to that last post I will be happy to be wrong.

I am DOUBLY pleased to hear the current credit cycle is not getting in the way of this company moving to Hartford, and more importantly the redevelopment of this key downtown location.

Forgive me for a bit of a "dorky" question....as a student of television/broadcasting, I always wanted to tour WFSB, but never got the chance. Does anybody here have any insight as to the layout of the building when it served as a TV station. Specifically, where were the different on-air studios, newsrooms. I always assumed the main news studio was on the lowest floor, but between the street-level weather center and the garage, I'm not sure where it would fit. Also, did Meredith leave any of the sets in place when they abandoned the building, or is it pretty much cleaned out? Just curious, since I'll never get a chance to go inside.

Still, it's great to hear about the plans for the site.

In light of what is happening at Front street I just want to say this in simple english. you asked for what we want to see here and picking brains and stuff so here goes.

knock down what is there and replace it with ANYTHING!!!! as long as it is at least 4 stories from street level, and has pedestrian friendly street frontage.

yup. thats it. I dont care how many floors al long as its more than 3. 3 floors is suburban. 4 stories is more urban :) and street frontage. real interaction for pedestrians.

The problem with Columbus Blvd in the area of Broadcast House is that the buildings on the east side of the street have zero potential for retail at the street level. The first floor of those buildings are parking garages. Terrible urban design, which will make redevelopment in that area difficult to implement. That whole section of Columbus is a dead zone on the weekends.

The problem with Columbus Blvd in the area of Broadcast House is that the buildings on the east side of the street have zero potential for retail at the street level. The first floor of those buildings are parking garages. Terrible urban design, which will make redevelopment in that area difficult to implement. That whole section of Columbus is a dead zone on the weekends.

Yes, but a city is not built over night. it is also not built all at once. it is built piece by piece over time, and if this one peice can incorporate a positive pedestrian interaction, it is yet another small step forward in this marathon of recovery.

As other pieces fall into place, the older buildings will concider renovations to join the progress. The Uconn school of business has gone halfway to contributing. all it needs now is to make the open the ground floor to retail and allow people to see whats happening behind those smoked out windows. piece by piece.

Yes, but a city is not built over night. it is also not built all at once. it is built piece by piece over time, and if this one peice can incorporate a positive pedestrian interaction, it is yet another small step forward in this marathon of recovery.

Nor should it be built all at once. Piece by piece development encourages diversity of residents, uses, etc - the hallmark of a true city.

The city could approximate this sort of development simply by shrinking the lot sizes.

As other pieces fall into place, the older buildings will concider renovations to join the progress. The Uconn school of business has gone halfway to contributing. all it needs now is to make the open the ground floor to retail and allow people to see whats happening behind those smoked out windows. piece by piece.

Speaking of the UConn business school, I walked in there once to see the new store after they closed the UConn Co-Op on Pratt St. I was told at the security desk that it's only for students. You would think they could make a a little business at least by selling some office supplies to all the nearby workers. Also, I bought some other things on Pratt St. like an Ipod charger. The campus is very insular unfortunately. At least Capital's store is open to the public, although prices are cheaper at CVS and FedEx Office.

Speaking of the UConn business school, I walked in there once to see the new store after they closed the UConn Co-Op on Pratt St. I was told at the security desk that it's only for students. You would think they could make a a little business at least by selling some office supplies to all the nearby workers. Also, I bought some other things on Pratt St. like an Ipod charger. The campus is very insular unfortunately. At least Capital's store is open to the public, although prices are cheaper at CVS and FedEx Office.

Yeah I would love to see the store and maybe a bit more of a books atore sitting right there under the tiker. those windown take away from an otherwide high potential street. mind you its 1000x better than the loading docks across the street.

• 3 weeks later...

DW, any crumbs of information for us??? We could use some good news given what's happening two blocks south. Speaking of Front Street, what's your take on that project given your company is an indirect stakeholder?

I was thinking someone on here would have picked up on this by now...... not that I am expecting anyone to come to the event (though if you are, I'd love to meet you), but does this count as news?

http://www.rexchange.org/programs/2008/nov...13_brochure.pdf

More, including what you all have been waiting for, is very forthcoming.

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

I was thinking someone on here would have picked up on this by now...... not that I am expecting anyone to come to the event (though if you are, I'd love to meet you), but does this count as news?

http://www.rexchange.org/programs/2008/nov...13_brochure.pdf

More, including what you all have been waiting for, is very forthcoming.

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

DW, where would one pick up on information like this? I am not a realtor, but I do occasionally check out a few sites such as

http://www.northeastrebusiness.com

I would not be able to make such an event either due to my work scheduel 8-6:30ish or the fact that I am actively trying not to spend money untill my coming vacation. Maybe I will still be downtown at 7PM tonight and could do a beer, but I wouldnt count on it. If I can get out before 7 I do my best to do so

DW, where would one pick up on information like this? I am not a realtor, but I do occasionally check out a few sites such as

http://www.northeastrebusiness.com

I would not be able to make such an event either due to my work scheduel 8-6:30ish or the fact that I am actively trying not to spend money untill my coming vacation. Maybe I will still be downtown at 7PM tonight and could do a beer, but I wouldnt count on it. If I can get out before 7 I do my best to do so

I didn't bring it up because I'm looking for anyone to go, or because I'm speaking at the event (though that's newsworthy to me....), as so much as there is news in the writeup that hasn't been officially released anywhere else....

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

I didn't bring it up because I'm looking for anyone to go, or because I'm speaking at the event (though that's newsworthy to me....), as so much as there is news in the writeup that hasn't been officially released anywhere else....

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

now you have me reading the details. :)

nice!

My wife loves Platinum, I wonder if this means she will want to move to hartford now?

Dan,

I wish I had seen this earlier, I work as a PM for a GC in Boston and I just completed a small crash prep course to take the test to be LEED AP. I always troll around this board as I grew up in the area. Very seldom do I comment, but this would have been something I would have been interested in attending.

Good luck with the event.

"Design elements", what does that mean? I am assuming this is predominantly conceptual at this point, but "design elements" is a vague term/phrase.

Also, DW, if you want, I will buy you a beer at city steam if you are interested, before hand. at around 4PM I guess.

That was written at a time when we had hoped that we'd be more public than we are right now. That didn't happen, and what actually was discussed at the event were more project themes -- the reasons WHY we are doing what we are doing. You'll be hearing more about this is the upcoming weeks.

Yes, the first imagery seen outside of our offices was shown -- but nothing that gave anything away. No, I'm not posting the images. <_<

But I will say that the imagery and schematic designs are done. Not to say that what we have right now is going to be exactly what is going to go on the site... anything can still happen as it is a work in progress... but it could go on the site, and if it did we'd all be proud. Right now, that is what is important.

We have put together a building that we think is appropriate for that lot. You'll all be insiders to it very, very soon. When that happens, I look forward to watching the discussions - it's why I'm here. Please proceed as if I'm not. ;)

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

PS - VOR, sorry I missed you. We'll get together for the drink soon.

PPS - Hey, we got stickied! I'm honored....

But I will say that the imagery and schematic designs are done. Not to say that what we have right now is going to be exactly what is going to go on the site... anything can still happen as it is a work in progress... but it could go on the site, and if it did we'd all be proud. Right now, that is what is important.

any chance you can throw out a square footage of what you have drawn up now? maybe how many floors?

I know 100K SF was published innitialy, but obviously you have a real number now.

PS - VOR, sorry I missed you. We'll get together for the drink soon.

Well, since I spend 50+ hours a week downtown it shouldnt be a problem once you start this project.

• 2 weeks later...

All right, early Thanksgiving gift to everyone here at UrbanPlanet -- here we go.

One week from today, Wednesday, December 3rd at 10:30 AM, AI Engineers is holding a press event right on Constitution Plaza behind (in front of?) the Broadcast House. The mayor will be there. The president of AI will be there. I will be there. The media will be there. We are finally going to pull back the veil and our building renders will be there.

In case of incliment weather, we will move indoors where space is more limited. But, otherwise, we'll be outside and there will be plenty of room for everybody. I would be delighted if many of you could be there - consider yourselves all invited.

I look forward to meeting many of you, sharing our vision with the public, and moving this project to its next phase of development.

Cheers,

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

That is very exciting news. Thanks for the update. I wish I could get out of work to go down there, but don't think I'll be able to. I can't wait to see what is unveiled though.

I will do my best to bring my camera on Wednesday, so I can post some pics here. With work being what it is I can not guarantee getting there, but its right next to my office, so if I have any ability to step away I will.

Archived