PROPOSED: AI Tech Center

ConnMan

Dan, I really like this project! It fits in so well with the surrounding landmarks.

I agee whole heartedly.

did anyone else look over the PDF document?

so much good info there.

the only thing I wouldmlove to have clarified for me would be the elevations from 2 different angles.

first

what will the building look like at street level from the front door of the HSB building.

second

what will the building look like from say the roof of the sonesta hotel?

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan, any interest in a parcel, saaaaay 2 blocks to the south? ;)

Let's at least get the Broadcast House site redevelopment done first before they turn into commercial developers.

I think what they want to do is significant enough and a big step in the right direction for Hartford. It's rough out there, at least HFD's fortunate enough to have something like this in an economic downturn like this.

Dan, any interest in a parcel, saaaaay 2 blocks to the south? ;)

I think our hands are full enough as it is.

Mission accomplished on the building launch. VOR's pictures yesterday of the size of the media event really underscored for me the importance of what we are trying to do here. You simply don't get press conferences like that anymore, but we did. The news stories I have heard have been mostly positive, and I think that the message of why we are doing this and why this building is going to be different is really coming through.

I understand I was on WNPR this morning, though I missed it. I will give everyone a head's up -- Abul and I just taped a segment for Face the State. Airs Sundays at 11 on WFSB!

Media aside, thanks for the encouraging words about the building visuals. I am not an architect, but I think Tecton (who, if you go to their website, now have this building prominently featured) did a good job incorporating all of our desires into the design. I think the results from the "unscientific" Courant poll had 90% of people pegged at "love it", which means we're on the right track.

From here, we move forward. What we did was widen the circle of influence, and bring in the people we need to make this project successful. We have a clear chart to the next step, and things are already starting to fall into place. I will say, on my part, I'm going to do all I can to not let you guys or the rest of the city down.

Onwards and upwards,

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

Media coverage

WFSB 3

18199173_240X180.jpg

http://www.wfsb.com/news/18196456/detail.html

story

WTNH

new_office_tower_in_hart43e4e392-ce5d-493e-a08d-92961df263cd0000_20081203180808_320_240.JPG

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/news_wtnh_Har...ng_200812031705

NBC Connecticut

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/G...n-Hartford.html

CT News Junkie

http://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/general_news/h...hp?extpar=ctjnk

HBJ

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news7349.html

HBJ versin 2

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article.ph...s_display=print

NECN

http://www.necn.com/Boston/SciTech/2008/12...1228339305.html

This is the best coverage if you ask me. the video covers the highlights.

it also made it into many trade publicatins like CTENGINEERS

and has been reprinted in other papers associated with the courant like the Orlando paper.

Downtown Crossing, Boston. Developer demolishes previous structure for a retail/office/residential

development and then loses his financing - the result is a gigantic hole in the urban fabric.

IMG_6378.jpg

Central London. Developer demolishes an entire block to build a mixed use, lifestyle center.

The financing falls through and the site will remain barren for an indefinite time period.

610x.jpg

Downtown Manhattan. A developer proposes a residential tower, tears

down the existing early 1900s structure, then runs out of money for the project.

img0014du5.jpg

Dan, how will this project be different? Given the state of the world's lending institutions

and the fact that demolition could begin as early as February, can you give any assurances

that the result will not be simply another empty lot?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/topic/hc-br...0,3492924.story

there you go DW

CP regarding your post, there is a big difference between a speculative developer, and an owner ocupier.

Since AI is building and will retain ownership of the building they deal with less scrutiny than a speculative developer. Furthermore, since AI will be one of the tenants of the building representing something like 15% of the space, the risk to the lender is lower again.

If AI finds just one significant tenant the numbers will surely work for any lender.

another plus for AI is that as a company they have experience doing design work and construction management. on a project of pretty much any size, the Construction manager is 10% of the cost. the engineering on a large project such as this is also significant, and those costs will be absorbed internally.

I have no Idea what a building like this would cost if say you or I tried to build it, but I suspect much more than $40 Million.

Also AI has allready put $2Million into buying the building and the abspestos removal going on right now.

I was going to start my own thread on these thoughts I am about to put forth. I may have already talked about it in another thread. But, since the AI Building site is located at the epicenter, I'll post it here.

Constitution Plaza has often been criticized for being isolated, above street level. However, the plaza theme has been extended several times. Plaza bridges span Columbus Boulevard, linking office towers that were subsequently built. Riverfront Plaza, the Science Center, and even the Convention Center extend the plaza to the southeast.

These raised plazas are separated by voids. Down below are the streets, parking garages and delivery entrances.

Is it reasonable to expect that the corner of Columbus Boulevard and State Street will be a successful pedestrian environment? I suspect that most of the pedestrian activity on the downtown - Science center - riverfront axis will be on the plaza level.

If Hartford rebounds, could a future generation propose that the next logical step for this area is to deck the

I was going to start my own thread on these thoughts I am about to put forth. I may have already talked about it in another thread. But, since the AI Building site is located at the epicenter, I'll post it here.

Constitution Plaza has often been criticized for being isolated, above street level. However, the plaza theme has been extended several times. Plaza bridges span Columbus Boulevard, linking office towers that were subsequently built. Riverfront Plaza, the Science Center, and even the Convention Center extend the plaza to the southeast.

These raised plazas are separated by voids. Down below are the streets, parking garages and delivery entrances.

Is it reasonable to expect that the corner of Columbus Boulevard and State Street will be a successful pedestrian environment? I suspect that most of the pedestrian activity on the downtown - Science center - riverfront axis will be on the plaza level.

If Hartford rebounds, could a future generation propose that the next logical step for this area is to deck the

I love Bills posts.

Bill you might be the only guy more optomistic than me on here :)

and you think big.

In so many ways I like your idea, but in others I think that this idea would only further compound and complicate an allready messed up situation.

so I will be a little devils advocate right now.

While it is true that those buildings are largely loading docks and generally unfriendly to the pedestrian, and that the plaza was built as a solution to flooding as well as a new urban concept. We would be hasty to give up on the street. The naturally occuring landscape.

Market street can easily recover from where it is now, and with the AI Tech center being done plus whatever happens to the Hotel site, Columbus could make some serious progress. and do so naturally without a massive public works project.

I walk on the plaza fairly regularly over to the planning department, and it is a frekin abortion.

I have a hard time seeing how it would ever bee too much better as a public space. it is too stark, or too post modern or bleak or something. it is not inviting.

As its origonal concept it was a great idea, and even with its actual build out it was still cutting edge and very progressive in many ways, but that was the 1960s! the plaza is decaying and to me it makes more sense to have smaller or more intelligent solutions dictate the areas future rather than to re invent the square wheel.

If and I am fairly confident the If is a when, so when this AI engineers building is built, the corner will be better situated on the street level.

if the eventual developer of the sonesta hotel site addresses street activity, columbus street will be further along in reclaiming is pedestrian accessability.

The HSB building is not particularly street friendly, but it is not completely hostile.

with the Mariott, the science center, and front street S columbus is getting much more "friendly"

the best way in my opinion to really make things work, would be to invest public monies into the rediculous pedestal of the Phoenix building. the tower is completely seperate, and could continue to be used without interuption while the square 2 story plaza section would be completely re done with pedestrians in mind and create a more attractive entrance to the city. really, this pedestal will be the biggest oncticle after the AI tower is build

I truncated my thought process on this so let me get back to it.

Building additional plaza level infrastructure is kind of like build another Aetna viaduct. the structure might seem to make sense at the time but ultimately it creates a much higher maintenance cost as well as a higher innitial construction cost than the other options.

I will also say that Hartford could just as easily re rout I-91 and fix the few offensive properties and create a much more water friendly city. yes there would have to be new levys etc, but I would rather see the city build a new grassy tree covered hill than sever elevated roads.

is my devils advocacy making any sense?

If Hartford rebounds, could a future generation propose that the next logical step for this area is to deck the "voids" with streets? What if State Street began its gradual ascent to the Founders Bridge just east of Market Street?

Just curious, have you been to Seattle? Because they did just that, with a really odd side effect as the by-product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Underground

The Underground Tours are a hoot if you are ever in town.

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

Just curious, have you been to Seattle? Because they did just that, with a really odd side effect as the by-product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Underground

The Underground Tours are a hoot if you are ever in town.

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

Chicago has a network of layered streets between Grant Park and the Chicago River.

Multi-level streets in Chicago

the best way in my opinion to really make things work, would be to invest public monies into the rediculous pedestal of the Phoenix building. the tower is completely seperate, and could continue to be used without interuption while the square 2 story plaza section would be completely re done with pedestrians in mind and create a more attractive entrance to the city. really, this pedestal will be the biggest oncticle after the AI tower is build

I've often thought about this idea. I would be great because it would leave most of the building untouched, the various plazas are undisturbed, and it doesn't seem like it would cost very much.

Hartford Business Journal

EDITORIAL

Kudos To Abul Islam

Today

Welcome to Hartford indeed.

That was a nice piece, as was this one in the Courant (misspellings aside):

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editorials/hc-tower.art.artdec08,0,2806968.story

Also, Face the State just posted the interview with Abul and I here for your perusal in case you weren't watching this Sunday:

http://www.wfsb.com/facethestate/index.html

Ok, I'll stop the shameless self marketing now.

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

I was flicking channels Sunday morning and came across the Face the State interview. I'm just very excited to see the future, and it'll be a great thing for Hartford and the region. So congrats on all that's been done so far and looking forward to future progress.

I'm just curious though. The project includes 120 underground parking spaces, yet the site is already next to an underground parking garage for Const. Plaza. So I assume this is 120 additional, right next to the current garage... correct? Something's telling me that garage takes up the entire underneath the plaza.

That was a nice piece, as was this one in the Courant (misspellings aside):

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editorials/hc-tower.art.artdec08,0,2806968.story

Also, Face the State just posted the interview with Abul and I here for your perusal in case you weren't watching this Sunday:

http://www.wfsb.com/facethestate/index.html

Ok, I'll stop the shameless self marketing now.

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

No need to stop, we really do enjoy enjoy having someone actually involved in a major development stopping by on a regular basis!

I was flicking channels Sunday morning and came across the Face the State interview. I'm just very excited to see the future, and it'll be a great thing for Hartford and the region. So congrats on all that's been done so far and looking forward to future progress.

I'm just curious though. The project includes 120 underground parking spaces, yet the site is already next to an underground parking garage for Const. Plaza. So I assume this is 120 additional, right next to the current garage... correct? Something's telling me that garage takes up the entire underneath the plaza.

If you look at the PDF on the AI site you can see every floor plate actually.

and yes, it is 120 in addition to the CP garage. I am not sure how much parking the broadcase house has now underneath, but the AI Tech Center will surely bring that number up.

Even with 120 in AI, and I think it was 200 in CP, this is kind of a shortage of parking in general, so hopefully prospective tennants will not mind parking at morgan ST gargaer. I think its close but some Hartford workers are pretty spoiled when it comes to parking.

I guess parking will be adequate, but whenever the hotel gets re done a potential parking problem could arise if Morgan garage is not used properly

DW, Can I ask you a few specifics about the project that are I guess a little grey in the Tech Center pamphlet.

Ok good :)

On page 36

there are two graphics

the first is the penthouse, an elevation showing the top floor green space between the solar arrays.

The Bottom render is the entire roof from an elevated distance.

In the first, it appears as though people on the rooftop might have an unobstructed view of the river and all parts south.

In the bird

DW, Can I ask you a few specifics about the project that are I guess a little grey in the Tech Center pamphlet.

Ok good :)

On page 36

there are two graphics

the first is the penthouse, an elevation showing the top floor green space between the solar arrays.

The Bottom render is the entire roof from an elevated distance.

In the first, it appears as though people on the rooftop might have an unobstructed view of the river and all parts south.

In the bird's eye, the green space appears to be sunken, and the tops of the trees don't even come above the top height of the array.

Which is it?

The roof garden is one of those things that needs more fleshing out. Luckily, the building plans aren't done yet. ;)

The section at the top of page 36 is from a line cut from north to south, and the section at the top of 37 is from a line cut from east to west through the 2 concrete cores. As you can see from the section on 36, you'll be able to look down over the PV cells and see the river below you. Don't let the bird's eye view fool you (or, it might need tweaking...hmmm....) -- we have no intention of blocking one of our biggest assets.

The view may be blocked behind the higher portion of the PV arrays where it swings up on the lower segment -- consider this the area for people that get nervous about heights.

One thing to notice on the bird's eye -- do you see the balcony between the PV arrays for the top (10th) floor leasees?

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

Hartford Courant

Real estate brokers are watching the project closely because it would be the first significant office construction project in downtown Hartford in 20 years.

"It's a challenge, but if he gets it done that will be a clear sign that Hartford is well on its way to a recovery," said Christopher Ostop, a commercial real estate broker at Jones Lange LaSalle in downtown Hartford.

In the two weeks since the Dec. 3 press conference, Islam has lost none of his enthusiasm. In fact, he says he has had preliminary discussions with banks on financing. Some potential tenants and contractors have also called, he says.

"Many people are feeling in a pessimistic way in the difficult economy," Islam said. "Some people may think this project cannot or will not happen. But I think it can."

• 3 weeks later...

Happy new year to all! The year 2009 promises to be a big one for us, and I for one am eager to get started.

As a heads up to everyone here, Abul Islam is going to be on the "Where We Live" segment on WNPR on Monday, January 5th.

http://www.cpbn.org/program/%5Bfield_episo...urban-landscape

...I bring it up not only because my boss will be there, but the conversation seems pertinent to many of you here.

And, hey, you never know, there might be some new news in the broadcast, too.....

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

Archived