PROPOSED: AI Tech Center

ConnMan

If only the buildings across Columbus Blvd. were at all pedestrian friendly.

So true!

The fact that my wife even makes comments about how damn ugly the Hartford Steam Boiler building is (at ground level) is pretty telling.

That one is definitely the worst. I have a friend who works in there that I meet for lunch fairly regularly. It's actually a nice building, the problem is that the bottom couple of floors are just a blank wall. I wonder if it would be feasible to revamp them to make the building welcoming from a pedestrian level?

I think there is very little incentive for pedestrian activity around this part of Columbus BLVD. I see more garage and service entrances than anything else at this level. It's not on the pedestrian path to anywhere.

With the addition of riverfront plaza and the Science Center, it is beginning to look like the surface of the city is at plaza level.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the Mariott having a nice friendly street presence, and the Science center apparently having a decent street presence, the addition of AI Tech center will be another step in the right direction for the below plaza level.

I am not sure about the HSB building or CT river plaza, I think nothing will ever happen there, but with the relatively simple task of doing a minimal ammount of work to 1 Constitution plaza, and my dream of re-doing the Phoenic pedestal, that area would be markedly better, plaza level or not.

The reality is that regardless of the plaza level, the phoenix building is horrible at street level, and gives a bad impression entering Hartford. Eastern version of the butt ugly building to the North (ok not that bad, and we all love the tower itself :) )

One Constitution plaza would only take maybe 2 million to fix up. It just needs a few minor non structural alterations. The overhang is killing me. Also the look is now outdated but a 1969 attempt modern. If it were more avante garde it might have worked better, but this building only really provides shelter for people waiting for the bus. I suggest extending the wall down eliminating the overhang. I would also change the skin to make the bottom most floor look more like it could support retail while adding some minimal architectural detail on the upper 2 floors of the pedestal to spice things up a bit. I think there is potential here to put something on top of the pedestal as well. maybe some kind of outdoor cafe type eatery or at the very least a green roof.

291A3A44-BB46-4B8C-AE60-9C9476E8971E.jpg9553037.jpg2137852.jpg

The current configuration shades the retail space and make the building very unwelcoming. If the retail was given more prominence, maybe an awning ot two were put up there the retail from Statehouse Square would easily connect to One Constitution, and then it is not much of a stretch for it to connect with AI Engineers.

With the Mariott having a nice friendly street presence, and the Science center apparently having a decent street presence, the addition of AI Tech center will be another step in the right direction for the below plaza level.

I am not sure about the HSB building or CT river plaza, I think nothing will ever happen there, but with the relatively simple task of doing a minimal ammount of work to 1 Constitution plaza, and my dream of re-doing the Phoenic pedestal, that area would be markedly better, plaza level or not.

The reality is that regardless of the plaza level, the phoenix building is horrible at street level, and gives a bad impression entering Hartford. Eastern version of the butt ugly building to the North (ok not that bad, and we all love the tower itself :) )

One Constitution plaza would only take maybe 2 million to fix up. It just needs a few minor non structural alterations. The overhang is killing me. Also the look is now outdated but a 1969 attempt modern. If it were more avante garde it might have worked better, but this building only really provides shelter for people waiting for the bus. I suggest extending the wall down eliminating the overhang. I would also change the skin to make the bottom most floor look more like it could support retail while adding some minimal architectural detail on the upper 2 floors of the pedestal to spice things up a bit. I think there is potential here to put something on top of the pedestal as well. maybe some kind of outdoor cafe type eatery or at the very least a green roof.

The current configuration shades the retail space and make the building very unwelcoming. If the retail was given more prominence, maybe an awning ot two were put up there the retail from Statehouse Square would easily connect to One Constitution, and then it is not much of a stretch for it to connect with AI Engineers.

Also, I think they HAVE to make ALL of Columbus Blvd., and ALL of Market St. TWO-WAY!!

There is that vacant hotel next to the AI tower than spans the road. What do you think of some residential there? I personally think that the Plaza level is one of the neatest things about DT Hartford. It separates pedestrian life from risk of getting run over by a car. We just need more pedestrians! Maybe Residential would help out?

Agreed completely. One Constitution is, imho, the best building in Constitution Plaza by far in that it is merely mediocre and not horrible like rest of the buildings. The building also has the most potential to be turned into something that positively contributes to the streetscape. There is a fair amount of pedestrian activity going on just across the street at State House Square, if done correctly a slightly reconfigured ground floor could really pull in some of the pedestrians.

• 2 weeks later...

I need something to watch with the Hampton in and science center finishing up :)

Working on that.... as getting the building down isn't in the critical path of the new construction, we're in no major rush. Despite that, as you can probably tell by looking at it, we are nearly finished with the interior gut of the building. We just have a few issues such as the utility shut offs (done by others - out of my control) to take care of before we go to town on the concrete.

You'll get your show soon. Just don't expect explosives or anything..... <_<

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Dan

I saw lifts and stuff in front of the building today.

Not sure what they plan on tearing down, but it looked like they had something to do with tearing something down.

I was wondering if you'd notice that.... they were taking out some of the newer hardware that we want to re-use in the new facility. Waste not and all that....

We are now left with a concrete shell - shouldn't be long now.

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

• 1 month later...

getting ready to make a mess?

Not make a mess - prevent one, hopefully. The soon-to-be final version of that is going to get covered in filter fabric to help enclose the space.

The sanitary line is coming out this next Monday, August 10th - a process that is going to dig up the sidewalk. That is the last utility in the space. Once that is done and documented, then we are clear for the real fun to begin.

If you are curious what it looks like on the inside, watch Channel 3 tonight (Aug 6th) - they got the insider's tour today, and did the old Broadcast House's last live shot.

... might be some news in there you haven't heard, too.

UPDATE 8-7-09

The video, for right now, is available here:

http://www.wfsb.com/video/index.html

look for "Eric Signs off From Broadcast House". Ranger Andy was my contribution. ;)

Also, some news form HBJ:

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news9824.html

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

• 1 month later...

Working on that.... as getting the building down isn't in the critical path of the new construction, we're in no major rush. Despite that, as you can probably tell by looking at it, we are nearly finished with the interior gut of the building. We just have a few issues such as the utility shut offs (done by others - out of my control) to take care of before we go to town on the concrete.

You'll get your show soon. Just don't expect explosives or anything..... <_<

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

HUZZAH HUZZAH, the bulldozer just ripped a huge chunk out of the east wall this morning!

I saw that too.

I saw a reporter out front as well, so I am sue there is some meia coverage.

here is a link from the paper.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-broadca...0,5813376.story

and the HBJ

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news10265.html WITH PICTURES

I just walked over there to see the haps.

its really quite a good show, Thanks DW!

I also now have a new career goal. I want to be the hose guy. dude just sits there on a stool and aims a hose on the action. I want to know where he was on career day?

anyways, it looks like this will take 30 days according to Mr. Whittemore, but I am guessing the most entertaining part will last just a week or two.

I will bring the camera tomorrow.

if you head down here, there is a good view from the Mortensen plaza and Phoenix bridge, also the Hartford Steam Boiler bridge accessable from the plaza next to Spris has a nice view and is less crowded.

The original plans looked very nice. But every new architect has to throw out the old plans and let his ego run wild. Hope the new take is better but more likely it is just the new architect's ego that has him changing the plans.

I sincerely hope if the "new" plans are a giant turd, you will tell the new architect, "Nice try, build the original building."

tell us how you really feel beerbeer :)

I did like the first render as well, but am excited to see the final plan as well.

I took some demo pics today. its definately a little slow going but concrete rebar and steel are nothing to sneeze at.

Is the rendering up at the site a new one? Or is it the one we've seen before?

It always makes me nervous when demolition starts before financing has been secured.

Archived