PROPOSED: AI Tech Center

ConnMan

This is Hartford. Of course you should be worried when a building comes down. What's our track record on tearing down buildings for new structures in the two decades? I bet LAZ is watching closely.

Yeah I hate to say it, but I would be worried as well.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow -- creeps in this petty pace from day to day....

In that quote Macbeth is quite sad and unhappy, his wife just died, and really its his statement about plodding through life for nothing worth while. So does this mean that we are just waiting for a disapointing announcement?

I am such a pain in the ass ehh?

In that quote Macbeth is quite sad and unhappy, his wife just died, and really its his statement about plodding through life for nothing worth while. So does this mean that we are just waiting for a disapointing announcement?

I am such a pain in the ass ehh?

My favorite of all Shakespeare quotes and some seriously nihilistic crap.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow -- creeps in this petty pace from day to day

to the last syllable of recorded time.

And all our yesterdays have lighted

fools the way to dusty death.

Life is but a walking shadow

a poor player

that struts and frets

its hour upon the stage

then is heard no more.

It is tale told by an idiot

full of sound and fury

and signifying nothing.

50443726.jpg

http://www.courant.c...thouse.artnov12,0,2227460.story

Well, Its obviously not nearly as nice as what we saw before. But it is still great that AI is bringing this location back to life and at a higher use.

It should be added that the announcement if the lease signing is for 1 floor, so it is likely the same tenant that had signed on 8 months ago. Its just not official.

For me, this is sadly just bad news, because I liked the other design much better, but ultimately its all still 100% better than what we had going on a year ago.

50443726.jpg

http://www.courant.c...thouse.artnov12,0,2227460.story

Well, Its obviously not nearly as nice as what we saw before. But it is still great that AI is bringing this location back to life and at a higher use.

It should be added that the announcement if the lease signing is for 1 floor, so it is likely the same tenant that had signed on 8 months ago. Its just not official.

For me, this is sadly just bad news, because I liked the other design much better, but ultimately its all still 100% better than what we had going on a year ago.

I prefer this design - much more conventional. The old one was a bit bizzare for my tastes.

Looks like the new design is fairly generic. I'm very disappointed the old design was lost. Possibly too expensive?

Also, street level looks pretty terrible in that perspective. Hopefully there's still going to be some focus on the pedestrian level.

To be honest, trying to match the building to the other ugly buildings in Constitution Plaza is a bad idea.

Wanted to let everyone know that more renders, including the street level for anyone who thinks we forgot about retail, are now available at

http://www.aitechcenter.com

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, news about the identity of the mystery tenant is here:

http://www.wfsb.com/...602/detail.html

And, no, we aren't replacing the fountain on the plaza - that is what is called in rendering circles as "cutting a corner".

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

Thanks, Dan. We appreciate the update. I like the new design personally, not sure if I like it more than the first one but it's still a very attractive building. Can't wait to see steel rising. St. Francis is an interesting tenent. Any details on what sort of operations they will be housing there?

That will be a MUCH nicer welcome to the city than the posters of Oprah and the news casters<BR><A class=bbc_url title="External link" href="http://www.aitechcenter.com/project_details/cbt" rel="nofollow external">http://www.aitechcenter.com/project_details/cbt's_Rendering_1.jpg</A><BR>So, when do we replace the Phoenix pedestal and the base of the Travelers building? along Colombus? <BR><BR><BR>Also, looking at the floorplans etc, I think I would enjoy working in that building.&nbsp; It has a lot going for it design wise.&nbsp; I imagine the central light well will be a really nice feature.<BR><BR>St Francis was intelligent to sign that lease.&nbsp; It bothers me that there are no convenient medical offices downtown.&nbsp; I hace to drive out to Manchester for a doctor then back to work.&nbsp; M dentist is in West Hartford.<BR><BR>Once service businesses like medical offices have success downtown, everything will change for the better downtown.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

I'm actually pretty excited about getting some medical services Downtown. This will definitely help in turning it into a truly livable area.

Hartford Courant

Lease negotiations are continuing, and it isn't clear what services would be provided by the hospital and during which hours. But during a press conference Thursday on plans for the 12-story tower, hospital officials were optimistic that a lease agreement would be reached.

"We fully expect our letter of intent will be realized," said Paul E. Pendergast, president of the hospital's foundation. "We're very, very excited about the project."

In an interview, Pendergast said St. Francis has established medical offices in the Hartford suburbs to bring medical services closer to residents there. But the thousands who live and work in downtown Hartford don't have that option, he said.

Pendergast said it is possible the medical offices could dispense immunizations and other services, such as X-rays, oncology support and gastrointestinal procedures. Having those and other services downtown would allow people to spend less time away from work, he said.

Wanted to let everyone know that more renders, including the street level for anyone who thinks we forgot about retail, are now available at

http://www.aitechcenter.com

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, news about the identity of the mystery tenant is here:

http://www.wfsb.com/...602/detail.html

And, no, we aren't replacing the fountain on the plaza - that is what is called in rendering circles as "cutting a corner".

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

I know I've already expressed my thoughts, but after looking over this material I REALLY like this building. It is a great modern design - not modern in the sense of most of the garbage that has been built for the last 60 years - but modern like Hartford 21. It uses modern materials to create a beautiful form, but has an eye toward the traditional role and shape of a city building. This is going to be a great addition to the city's skyline.

Dan, obviously these things are ongoing and sensitive, but can you give us an idea of how things are going on the leasing front? Have there been a lot of inquiries?

I don't dislike the building. But I'm wondering why there is an obvious desire in the design to repeat the Constitution Plaza theme. I was hoping for a facade that blows away the modernist walls and makes a big impact at that horrible intersection. It's really just another bland structure downtown in my opinion. Not the worst, but not a striking design either.

The original design was a signature building, this is another box. But if it moves forward, it's a plus for the city. The rooftop restaurant is a good idea, the city has needed one for a long time, I just wish it was on a taller structure.

Concurred...... The original design would of complimented the area nicely, but anything will beat the old Channel 3 building.

• 3 months later...

FYI for my friends at UrbanPlanet - The Tech Center (and Hartford at large!) are going coast to coast in HD tonight! March 4, at 8 PM eastern, we are going to be on History Channel's Modern Marvels, showcasing how materials are reused from a demo site such as ours into things you use every day. They should have some pretty good shots of the last gasps of the Broadcast House, and of Hartford in general.

Thought you might like to know!

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

FYI for my friends at UrbanPlanet - The Tech Center (and Hartford at large!) are going coast to coast in HD tonight! March 4, at 8 PM eastern, we are going to be on History Channel's Modern Marvels, showcasing how materials are reused from a demo site such as ours into things you use every day. They should have some pretty good shots of the last gasps of the Broadcast House, and of Hartford in general.

Thought you might like to know!

Dan Whittemore

AI Engineers, Inc.

I missed the last bits of the show b/c i was doing some chores, but all I saw was demo work and talk about demolition.

did they edit out the recycling and such from the segment?

I know they tend to do things like that.

My grandfather spent a day with them for a show on rum running during prohibition, and they only told him a day or so before the show aired that they cut him from it entirely. It was weird the way they handled it. the people were upset they cut them, but I guess the chanel in the end had executive controll over the producers.

anyhoo.

it was good to see Hartford on there. the city looked good, and it is nice to think the whole world knows the city is getting a new green building etc...

are you having any luck or at least leads on additional new tenants?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived