COMPLETE: 100 Westminster Street

So did anyone see "IN-PROGRESS: 100 Westminster Street" and freak and think it said "IN-PROGRESS: 110 Westminster Street"? tee hee hee.

Anyway, this was mentioned at the Kennedy Plaza placemaking workshop over the winter (which in part took place in the 55 Kennedy Plaza lobby). They are renovating this area and hopefully returning businesses to it, right now I think all there is is a ticket selling place and Au Bon Pain. However in the past there was an ice cream shop, Kennedy Perk a cafe and gift shop (which may still be there, I can't remember), and the late lamented Providence Watch Hospital. The plan as I understand it is to return retail to the area and make it a better more apparent public space. Oh, I don't know, kind of like... THE ARCADE!

I don't have any details, just what was mentioned in passing at the Placemaking Workshop and the fact that the sidewalk on the Westminster side is closed and work is undeway by Shawmut. The fencing around the Westminster work area has what appears to be a rebrand for the building of "100 Westminster" in a font that looks to be a logo (it is a simply type treatment, no graphic, but is too put together to be less than a brand).

I would say it is interesting to see them rebrand to a Westminster name from a Kennedy Plaza name. Says probably as much about the renaissance of Westminster as it does about the poor brand value of Kennedy Plaza. I do hope they don't completely turn their back on Kennedy Plaza though, having a retail arcade opening onto the plaza is part of what it needs. Especially the Fulton side of the plaza which is a dead zone. There's plenty of room at the plaza end for vendors outside or cafe tables and such.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
The lobby houses retail tenants, including FedEx and Au Bon Pain restaurant and the renovation is an attempt to draw new tenants. Of the 19,240 square feet of retail space, 7,372 square feet is vacant, the company said."

PBN: "Renovations underway at '100 Westminster'"

http://www.pbn.com/stories/34870.html

partial text:

"The first-floor renovations underway at the former Fleet Center, purchased by O'Connor Capital Partners in 2006, are intended to help establish its new "100 Westminster" identity, the company said Tuesday.

The 20-story granite building, built in 1985, had also been known as "50 Kennedy Plaza."

The "new exterior will bring greater visibility from the street to business service retailers and restaurants," the company said of the redesign of the first floor. Cambridge, Mass.-based Cambridge Seven Associates Inc. designed the renovations.

The lobby houses retail tenants, including FedEx and Au Bon Pain restaurant and the renovation is an attempt to draw new tenants. Of the 19,240 square feet of retail space, 7,372 square feet is vacant, the company said."

• 6 months later...

Archived