Tree REMOVAL?

I live in the 800 block of Wealthy SE and recently was noticing how much I miss the tree canopy over the road when I used to live closer to East Grand Rapids. It was just two days ago that I noticed the 800 block doesn't seem to have nearly as many majestic older trees as some neighborhoods.

So today I notice that three of the biggest trees right near my house have "No Parking - Tree Removal" signs posted. Argh! Why?

Just as I realize how much I appreciate big trees, they're being taken away. Does the city do this? Who makes decisions on roadside trees? Why do certain neighborhoods like EGR keep their tree canopies, but here they're being removed? I'm sure there's probably some good reason these are apparently being taken out (roots, basements, sewer lines - I imagine there could be plenty of reasons) but in general, I'm curious as to how trees are handled.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I live in the 800 block of Wealthy SE and recently was noticing how much I miss the tree canopy over the road when I used to live closer to East Grand Rapids. It was just two days ago that I noticed the 800 block doesn't seem to have nearly as many majestic older trees as some neighborhoods.

So today I notice that three of the biggest trees right near my house have "No Parking - Tree Removal" signs posted. Argh! Why?

Just as I realize how much I appreciate big trees, they're being taken away. Does the city do this? Who makes decisions on roadside trees? Why do certain neighborhoods like EGR keep their tree canopies, but here they're being removed? I'm sure there's probably some good reason these are apparently being taken out (roots, basements, sewer lines - I imagine there could be plenty of reasons) but in general, I'm curious as to how trees are handled.

WOW - Now THAT would be great! Where are those NOW?

I suppose they just expired on their own or something, but seeing pics like that makes me wonder if there wasn't some "Get Rid Of The Pesky Trees" project, along the lines of the "Urban Renewal" thing, somewhere along the line.

What starts out as a Good Idea can grow into a monster and a mess in a hundred years. I'm on a tiny city lot, and the front yard on one side is dominated by a huge maple.

Roots everywhere, making it hard to plant stuff. And they travel 50' to the side yard and towards the rear. Those roots don't know when to stop, and can infiltrate a foundation wall (hasn't happened yet, AFAIK). Lots of broken branches with every storm, or in the spring when the leaves weight down the limbs. Or in the winter with snow weight.

Translate that to a municipal situation, with branches falling on pedestrians, and it's a little more understandable.

What starts out as a Good Idea can grow into a monster and a mess in a hundred years. I'm on a tiny city lot, and the front yard on one side is dominated by a huge maple.

Roots everywhere, making it hard to plant stuff. And they travel 50' to the side yard and towards the rear. Those roots don't know when to stop, and can infiltrate a foundation wall (hasn't happened yet, AFAIK). Lots of broken branches with every storm, or in the spring when the leaves weight down the limbs. Or in the winter with snow weight.

Translate that to a municipal situation, with branches falling on pedestrians, and it's a little more understandable.

WOW - Now THAT would be great! Where are those NOW?

I suppose they just expired on their own or something, but seeing pics like that makes me wonder if there wasn't some "Get Rid Of The Pesky Trees" project, along the lines of the "Urban Renewal" thing, somewhere along the line.

Street trees are a must. Almost all the best streets in the world have tree canopies.

Trees provide climate protection, air cleansing, help to reduce carbon emmissions, provide an important buffer between the street and the sidewalk (both psychological and real) and are an important element of a properly composed street (or road).

Without trees on our streets, we end up with barren wastelands.

Any of the percieved problems with trees are negated by their benefits. Maintenance -as with anything that is worthwhile- is crucial, and in a society where "maintenance free" and laziness run rampant, we see street trees cleared just because it is easier.

Another reason why Grand Rapids cuts trees.....its forestry department hates trees.

Archived