South Ridge (Church St. and University Ridge)

legend2308

"Listening to the questions and concerns of many participants."  This seems like a pretty vague statement. How many people were at the meeting? Did participants just have questions, or did they clearly express signficant concerns and objections after being furnished with the developement information? 

I do not believe one email represents the opinion of a neighborhood. I own a home in alta vista, my residence is a lot closer to the proposed plan, and I hold a very dissimilar opinion. I would hope that Parcel B could also include a parking garage, and Parcel B could include retail frontage on Church St. I'm not a fan of large and open parking areas. But that is only my opinion. I hope the city will not ask Beach to amend the proposal based on one email that may, or may not, represent the opinion of the local residents. Will not the city call for a public hearing / meeting if it wants to hear concerns and objections in the neighborhood?

That's just a copy of an email from one silly resident who is against it. It means nothing when it comes to where the city, planning commission, and other area residents stand on the proposed project. Anthony Conway and Heidi Aiken sent out a same type of email when ONE got announced disapproving of it. We all saw how that went. They fell flat on their face.

Edited by gman430

Confused here..... This seems to be saying by reducing the number of units there will be less need for a parking deck. Is the parking deck an issue.....really?????? The parking deck is one of the very few elements that makes this development at least feel partially urban in nature. Are they wanting a bunch of surface parking instead of a deck?

I was at the meeting as well, and the ONLY concern regarding the garage is that the Briar Street residences will face directly onto the broad side of it.  The Beach Company was sensitive to the concern, but whether the issue can be adequately addressed, without a corresponding downside remains to be seen.  

The use of a garage itself was NOT an issue to anyone.  

I agree with FUgrad02, and in fact told one of the Beach Company representatives just that at the meeting.  I intend to do likewise at the Planning Commission meeting.    

Oy.... it's scary how much you can find online about the concerned citizen. He seems to live pretty far away and off two roads that wouldn't see any increase in traffic. People from this development may go down Cleveland Street/Jones Avenue to get to Augusta Road but it is a weird intersection there with no light to get out. Otherwise no streets will see a real increase in traffic as the roads are laid out in a way that makes it a longer trip when you try to cut through the neighborhoods. Anyone who has driven in those neighborhoods would know this.

Confused here..... This seems to be saying by reducing the number of units there will be less need for a parking deck. Is the parking deck an issue.....really?????? The parking deck is one of the very few elements that makes this development at least feel partially urban in nature. Are they wanting a bunch of surface parking instead of a deck?

This letter may be a response to the Planning Staff Report, which expresses an objection to the parking garage for exceeding the four-story maximum height for the sub-district, also for apparently not conforming to something called the "Neighborhood Code." See 5.1 General Building Design Principles here: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2012/DECEMBER/PlanningCommission/12-13-2012/FDP12-255-UniversityRidgeand%20Church.pdf

The design has been changed to eliminate the garage from facing Briar Street.  New renderings in the link too.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2012/DECEMBER/PlanningCommission/12-13-2012/FDP-12-255-UniversityRidgeandChurchStreet.pdf

Edited by vicupstate

The design has been changed to eliminate the garage from facing Briar Street.  New renderings in the link too.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2012/DECEMBER/PlanningCommission/12-13-2012/FDP-12-255-UniversityRidgeandChurchStreet.pdf

This eliminates one of the two pools, adds a pocket park, reduces the number of units, and reduces the parking garage from 4.5 levels to 4.

I did not notice the reduction. Not a good thing imo. This is. NOT phased either. It will be built in its entirety.

EDIT:  The 218 units is for Parcel A only.  Parcel B has 130 units.  So the total number of units has been reduced from 375 to 348. 

Edited by vicupstate

It appears that the surface parking in Parcel B is to accomodate the underground stormwater detention system. That may explain why that parcel is designed the way it is, because you could not build on top of the stormwater system.

Are you saying that this system is already on site? Otherwise, I don't think it's too difficult to address Church Street and arrange the buildings in a more urban fashion, with or without surface parking.

BTW, welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

Edited by GvilleSC

Based on what I heard today, I do think the stormwater will collect under the Parcel B parking lot, before discharging to the creek.  The engineer said the water from Parcel A would be channeled to Parcel B, so that is why I say that.

BTW, if I understood it correctly, the Planning Commission's decision does NOT go to City Council.  However, the council WILL have to approve the street abandonment.

Well, I'm not satisfied with B right now, but this is going to be a huge deal for Church Street! Now, with significant investment, is the time to bury the power lines from University to Pearl.

The developer actually mentioned that they were definitely going to work with Duke on this at the meeting tonight. At the Alta Vista meeting one of the other developers had said that it was not in the plans so I am not sure if they started looking into it or if they just planned to based on discussions at the meeting.