South Ridge (Church St. and University Ridge)

legend2308

The developer actually mentioned that they were definitely going to work with Duke on this at the meeting tonight. At the Alta Vista meeting one of the other developers had said that it was not in the plans so I am not sure if they started looking into it or if they just planned to based on discussions at the meeting.

Great to know! I'm glad we had some members attending the meetings! I've got my fingers crossed that we'll see them buried. 

I really like the look of this. I also suspect - and hope - that this will substantially encourage future redevelopment of County Square, as well as further infill between downtown and this project.

Hopefully this proposed trolley expansion will help connect this project with the rest of downtown. It will also be a great asset to have the connection through Cancer Survivor's Park to the greenway and trail system. I wonder if we will see redevelopment of the old 8 O'clock? Some strong neighborhood retail at that space would really go a long way to establishing a node of pedestrian activity.

I wonder if we will see redevelopment of the old 8 O'clock? Some strong neighborhood retail at that space would really go a long way to establishing a node of pedestrian activity.

Ah, yes... I was thinking of that today also, and see what I found: http://www.showcase.com/property/103-Cleveland-Street/Greenville/South-Carolina/6780808

• 4 weeks later...

On monday, city counsel agreed too abandonments of streets as needed for the beach company project to be build. Beach company stated they plan to start construction by the fall 2013.

I'm not a fan of developers announcing their project before they have funding lined up. Which I'm assuming is the problem if they're going to wait eight months since the announcement to begin building.

Why else would they wait?

They are not 'waiting' there is a lot of work that has to be done before ground can be broken.  The abandonment will need another reading, so that puts things into next month.The project was changed significantly just last month.  That means re-work on the engineering and architectural drawings.  Bids will have to go out, the potential bidders will need a few weeks to review and prepare their bids.  A bid will be choosen and contract negotiations will take some time.  The city and/or DHEC will need to a approve the stormwater plans, etc. etc.  It takes time.   

This is The Beach Comapny, money is NOT the issue.   They are to Charleston what Hughes is to Greenville.

Construction doccuments take months and are very expensive, its not uncommon to hold off on them until a point that certain approvals are in place, particulalry ones that are going to effect design.  Also don't forget time is needed for bidding by contractors and subs and then final permitting is needed for building permits.  All this eats up much more time than you realize.

• 4 weeks later...

Mistake: it is still 348. Somebody screwed up on the application. Confirmed by Beach Company.

The previous elevation along Church had a strange roof line. I think this looks better.

Hopefully the former 8 O'clock will be redeveloped before too long. This development has a great location, especially with its access (which should only improve) to the trail system and the new Cancer Survivor's Park.

Seems like there is a good amount of landscaping. I still wish there was building frontage at Church Street along the Springer Street connection. Building there would add a little more commercial / retail component to this project, add nice frontage for Church St., and also block the Church St. traffic noise from the residential units in the interior.

The traffic noise from Church St. can get significant, and I believe it could impact the value of any proposed "Class A" (i.e. luxury) apartment units. Admittedly, McBee Station seems to sell well despite the traffic noise; however, McBee Station has significantly more neighborhood retail options and is also a shorter walk to downtown.

Overall, this is a much, much better proposal than Walmart.

A good area to look at to get a feel of how this development will look design and size (height mostly) wise is the portion of Atlantic Station in Atlanta located between IKEA and the retail town center where the pond and Millennium Gate are.

Edited by gman430

• 2 weeks later...