South Ridge (Church St. and University Ridge)

legend2308

• 4 weeks later...

Im hoping a single skyscraper with a parking garage next, or better yet, under the building.

I hope we get a good midrise / parking garage on Church Street. Something to work with South Ridge to promote a better urban experience on Church. The county could really make some money on selling the rest of that land. I imagine the governors school would like to have some for future expansion. I wonder if the county would master plan the entire parcel, build their element and sell off chunks to developers to follow whatever is envisioned?

I hope we get a good midrise / parking garage on Church Street. Something to work with South Ridge to promote a better urban experience on Church. The county could really make some money on selling the rest of that land. I imagine the governors school would like to have some for future expansion. I wonder if the county would master plan the entire parcel, build their element and sell off chunks to developers to follow whatever is envisioned?

No, because this would require Greenville County to be progressive and forward-thinking.  Given their history, I predict a bland 2-3 story building with a continued sea of asphalt and zero regard for the urban setting of the site.  Maybe they will surprise us.

No, because this would require Greenville County to be progressive and forward-thinking. Given their history, I predict a bland 2-3 story building with a continued sea of asphalt and zero regard for the urban setting of the site. Maybe they will surprise us.

True. The city and county have worked well together more recently. I hope the City will hold their hand and make then do this right. At least (or I assume) whatever they plan will have to get City approval and comply with the Haynie Sirrine Master Plan.

True. The city and county have worked well together more recently. I hope the City will hold their hand and make then do this right. At least (or I assume) whatever they plan will have to get City approval and comply with the Haynie Sirrine Master Plan.

The city sounded very interested (Mayor White for one) in working with the county on the site.

Im betting the city would like to put the TDCC replacement there....

No, because this would require Greenville County to be progressive and forward-thinking.  Given their history, I predict a bland 2-3 story building with a continued sea of asphalt and zero regard for the urban setting of the site.  Maybe they will surprise us.

That wouldn't make much sense, the county would only go to the trouble of building new if there was a way to pay for it (ie sell off the remaining land).  That would require a much smaller footprint.  2-3 floors wouldn't be sufficient, I wouldn't think.

When the county considered going to Woodruff Rd. they were looking at around 8 floors, if I remember correctly.  

Is there enough room for the county offices and a convention center? With the Scott Tower replacement and South Ridge, this would be prime property. What else could go there?

I really hope the county offices consolidate into a more compact footprint.

If County does a high-rise, the city-county co-op could do a bigger convention center with parking garages.

Scott Tower is being torn down for apartments/retail.

That wouldn't make much sense, the county would only go to the trouble of building new if there was a way to pay for it (ie sell off the remaining land).  That would require a much smaller footprint.  2-3 floors wouldn't be sufficient, I wouldn't think.

When the county considered going to Woodruff Rd. they were looking at around 8 floors, if I remember correctly.  

Excellent point.  Their fiscal conservatism and not wanting to waste money (both of which are good things in my book) trump their lack of innovation and progressiveness, so hopefully we will see a nice urban development there.  The possibilities for this prime piece of downtown land are endless, really.  Exciting to think about.

I really like the convention center idea.  One highrise could be county offices, another a convention center hotel, maybe some good retail thrown in if we could attract some prime tenants...

Excellent point.  Their fiscal conservatism and not wanting to waste money (both of which are good things in my book) trump their lack of innovation and progressiveness, so hopefully we will see a nice urban development there.  The possibilities for this prime piece of downtown land are endless, really.  Exciting to think about.

I really like the convention center idea.  One highrise could be county offices, another a convention center hotel, maybe some good retail thrown in if we could attract some prime tenants...

Im thinking the county offices, mixed with retail, housing, and the convention center possibly with a hotel in the future plans. Hotel might be farther down the line due to all the hotels currently planned that Im sure the city wants to go up. "Hidden" parking garages for all of it.

I prefer the location between River and Academy, primarily because pedestrian access between the site and downtown hotels is easier. A cleverly concealed parking garage could be constructed across Camperdown and a pedestrian bridge could connect it to the convention center.

Having said that, I realize the overall more logistically stable site would be University Ridge (County Square). A mid/high-rise government office building could share a large parking garage with a larger convention center on that site. I would prefer to see a compact, dense village reminiscent of RiverPlace (ground-floor commercial/retail/art/restaurant space with overhead offices/residences and attractive brick pavement on the streets) at that site.

Whatever happens at County Square in the future, I pray none of it will include large areas of surface parking.

I understand the difference in look between a sea of parking VS parking garage when driving by, but as an experience, a parking garage is a last resort for me:  when there is an exit line, 15-30 minutes winding up and down while inhaling exhaust fumes VS a 3 minute walk and easy in and out from a surface parking area.

It's interesting that Aughtry thinks the County offices should elsewhere.  In one respect it would seem to be a positive to have a 275k office user being the first occupant, but perhaps there are better alternatives.  

I would like to see the County offices go to the Gateway site.  The garage is already there and the private sector doesn't seem to want it that much.  Another alternative would be the site of the vacant Postal facility between Falls Park and the Church Street land bridge.   Anyone have other ideas?  

Don't forget that if the county located on a new site then they would have to purchase it. They don't have to do that if they stay on their current site.

True, but if the county can buy land that is less than what the land at County Square land is valued at, then it would be to their benefit.  Prior to the 2008 bust, the C.S. land was valued at a little over $1mm per acre.  It should be above that now, with all the new construction since then. 

Thinking out of the box, the County could buy the YWCA, build there, and sell the entire County Square parcel.   There is a small parcel (.60 acre) at Augusta and Dunbar, owned by Safe Harbor that ideally could be incorporate into the site.  That would take the total site to just under 4.5 acres, and give frontage on three streets. That would certainly be sufficient to do without a garage or at least a much smaller one.  The city owns a large parcel behind this one, if still more land was needed.

It would also help (in conjunction with the Scott Tower redevelopment site) to 'extend' revitalization farther down Augusta from the West End.  And while it wouldn't be across the street from the DMV office, it would still be very close.