South Ridge (Church St. and University Ridge)

legend2308

Not seeing the "very well done" part of this project. While it is an improvement, with sidewalks simply poured around wooden power poles and no buried power lines, this project could have been done far better. Investment following in the form of Walmart isn't exactly what I had hoped for.

Geez you are a lost cause. The design guidelines are not going to change for Wal-Mart. Therefore if they do come the building must

1. Front the sidewalk

2. Be mixed use

3. Have an urban design

All things that would not detract from the street. County Square would and does detract more from Church Street. Stop acting like wally-world is coming this way.

Plants were delivered this morning/yesterday afternoon. As they were unloading them off the truck, they were installing them. Two were in as of 9am. My guess is they will need to get them in the ground quickly so could start to see a change soon. The other stop light poles were going in at Church/University also.

Plants were delivered this morning/yesterday afternoon. As they were unloading them off the truck, they were installing them. Two were in as of 9am. My guess is they will need to get them in the ground quickly so could start to see a change soon. The other stop light poles were going in at Church/University also.

I was by there about 30 minutes ago and the plantings were continuing.....mainly on the inbound side......traffic was quite backed up. Still not feeling a quality vibe with this redo. Some of the new street lights had old street lights on wooden poles just feet away and they were planting around them. I seriously hope all these old street lights on wooden poles are being removed.

I imagine those old poles will be removed when the new street and traffic lights get turned on. The new tall ones will remain.

As you all know, I have been very critical over this project mainy due to sidewalk width and above ground powerlines. However, after seeing how Fairforest Way looks with the above ground lines still intact and the decorative street lights they chose for Church Street I am starting to feel better about it thankfully. Hope that continues.

Edited by citylife

Really? I would think ALL of the lights on the utility poles would be removed. That is what a worker told me at least, but not sure they would even know.

Oh, I am only referring to the poles themselves. All of the lights on all of the poles will no doubt be removed. Sorry about the confusion. :blush:

Edited by citylife

Makes sense, that is what I thought you meant. I also agree that the poles that are there just for the lights (ie. are not utility poles) will be removed also but could not be removed until the other lighting was up. For instance, on the inbound side they took one of these poles out a few weeks ago infront of NEXT that they had poured concrete around. They put a temporary light on the new utility pole to replace it for the time being.

One thing I do hope is they clean up some of the wires running across Church St when they remove the old traffic lights. At both the intersection of University and Pearl/Haynie there is a crazy mess of cables running across the street.

I haven't seen them myself, but I heard the entire Church St. median now has trees.

I rode down Church Street tonight. I can verify that the medians are planted, but due to the darkness and only the old lights are working, I cannot comment on what types they planted or anything else.

I rode down Church Street tonight. I can verify that the medians are planted, but due to the darkness and only the old lights are working, I cannot comment on what types they planted or anything else.

The green plants are the same as the ones in the Church St. medians downtown, so it will add for a uniform look. My guess is they will add the same type of small shrubs. They also planted the same plants that currently have no green on them as they did next to the path. Looks like all of the inbound plants have been planted from Agusta to the NEXT building. Quite a few plants on site at the staging site so my guess is they will try to get those planted on the outbound side rather quickly. Almost all the lights are now up on the inbound side.

The power lines really ruin this project and make it look half-*ss. I'm at a loss of understanding as to why the city was not able to get Duke to bury the lines on this major entrance into the city.

Because it would cost approxiamtely 5 millions dollars, which Duke was not going to pay. Those trees in the median don't grow money.

• Like 1

• Buried and relocated overhead wiring within the vicinity of the Neighborhood Center. The wiring in the remainder of the corridor should first be consolidated to one side and placed on decorative poles in an orderly manner, or if finances allow, buried underground in duct banks and conduits. All new lateral utility services should be underground.

This was copy and pasted directly from the Haynie-Sirrine Master plan specifically concerning Church Street. I have never seen the city deviate from their master plan before, and would not expect them to do so here either. Here is the link http://www.greenvill...2.3.1-2.3.3.pdf

Edited by scgubers

• Buried and relocated overhead wiring within the vicinity of the Neighborhood Center. The wiring in the remainder of the corridor should first be consolidated to one side and placed on decorative poles in an orderly manner, or if finances allow, buried underground in duct banks and conduits. All new lateral utility services should be underground.

This was copy and pasted directly from the Haynie-Sirrine Master plan specifically concerning Church Street. I have never seen the city deviate from their master plan before, and would not expect them to do so here either. Here is the link http://www.greenvill...2.3.1-2.3.3.pdf

They already did some cleaning up of the wires on the inbound side. Some still remains on the outbound side that feed the side streets. I cannot see them removing those.

• 2 weeks later...

What's replacing the KFC? Please tell me a Chick-fil-A!

According to a published report on another thread Chic-Fil-A is coming to Lewis Plaza, along with Publix.

The KFC is nothign but rubble now, btw. I expect the ugly office building next to it will be next. Certus Bank is going up on the site.

According to a published report on another thread Chic-Fil-A is coming to Lewis Plaza, along with Publix.

The KFC is nothing but rubble now, btw. I expect the ugly office building next to it will be next. Certus Bank is going up on the site.

• 2 weeks later...