South Ridge (Church St. and University Ridge)

legend2308

I'll just put this here--

There's a leasing sign out front of the small run down building adjacent to Zaxbys on Church Street. There's a rendering of what appears to be a renovation of the existing building. Church Street continues to draw new investment. Hopefully some good neighborhood serving retail options will come.

http://www.crelisting.net/NHL8KBQ9Q/?StepID=107

More on this.

Church Street strip center to be redeveloped

I'll just put this here--

There's a leasing sign out front of the small run down building adjacent to Zaxbys on Church Street. There's a rendering of what appears to be a renovation of the existing building. Church Street continues to draw new investment. Hopefully some good neighborhood serving retail options will come.

http://www.crelisting.net/NHL8KBQ9Q/?StepID=107

More on this.

Church Street strip center to be redeveloped

“We’re trying to tap into services that South Ridge residents will be able to utilize,” said Sigmon. Those residents have access to the shopping center via a pedestrian tunnel that runs under Church Street.

Where is this pedestrian tunnel located?

“We’re trying to tap into services that South Ridge residents will be able to utilize,” said Sigmon. Those residents have access to the shopping center via a pedestrian tunnel that runs under Church Street.

Where is this pedestrian tunnel located?

The tunnel extends from the end of Springer Street and passes under Church Street (but today is blocked off to everyone).

Thanks for all the photo updates gman! I love the presence the main building has on that corner. 

I would really like to see the county square redeveloped now. It was mentioned a few years ago and nothing materialized. I think a 5-7 story building on the existing property would suffice and could also house the DMV. 

Thanks for all the photo updates gman! I love the presence the main building has on that corner. 

I would really like to see the county square redeveloped now. It was mentioned a few years ago and nothing materialized. I think a 5-7 story building on the existing property would suffice and could also house the DMV. 

I would like to see it redeveloped as well, and feel confident that it's inevitable at this point. The good thing is, the longer it takes, the more important that site becomes and the better the redevelopment there will likely be. A few years ago, that site was going to be an anchor for the as-yet-developed surrounding area. Now, with all of the development happening in that area and in the West End, the County Square site will be the icing on the cake.

You make great points, Greenville. County Square will become THAT much more important the longer we wait. With continued redevelopment of Haynie-Sirrine, the push of urban development and investment down Augusta Street and Church, and the growing draw of our park system and trails, this site is going to be very attractive. The County could stand to make a rather nice sum on the sale. 

6 stories in the max in that PD. My hope is that the County, DMV, courthouse, and health dept can fit into 2-3 buildings on the corner. 

32 acres on a hilltop with great views of the city, minutes walking distance away from the ball park, Main Street, Falls Park and the new Cancer Survivors park. Surrounding properties are being developed now. Whats not to like? This piece of land has so much potential. Can't wait to see what's to come!

6 stories in the max in that PD. My hope is that the County, DMV, courthouse, and health dept can fit into 2-3 buildings on the corner. 

I remember reading that about the 6 story max as well. That confuses me though - is that plan that came out anything official, or is it a plan they are going to follow? Back before the recession, there was a "Project Skyline" that never happened, but I think it called for the sale of the site and a building to be constructed there of around 30 stories (Maybe Gman or Skyliner or another old timer can help me out with the details ). Anyway, why would the plan now only allow for 6 stories? If ever there were a good site DT for some height, THIS is it. In my opinion, this site will be even more important than the G news site as it will truly expand DT and set the stage for surrounding areas and future development. I actually would like to see the area across Univ Ridge (health dept) completely redeveloped along with it. Univ Ridge could be redeveloped or reworked and the entire two sites should be developed into an ultra dense, ultra urban "mini city" with lots of housing options, retail, office, restaurant, pocket park, ALMOST NO SURFACE PARKING, walkable streets and connectivity, art, entertainment, everything. Sorry, but I would consider the plan that came out or one similar to the old G news site plan to be a TOTAL waste for this site. Go big or go home as far as I am concerned with this thing. It will be a link form the current DT, to Augusta, to Haynie, to South Ridge, to the areas behind it. It can literally transform DT , expand it, and make it 3 dimensional, or it can just be a large parking lot filler project. We need to get this one right!

The plan is official but I don't know how absolute the height restriction is. Main St. has a height restriction for the first 35 feet back (or at least a recommendation), but obviously that was not adhered to for the ONE project.  Also, just as the South Ridge project was announced the city also announced that the Haynie-Sirrine plan was going to be revised/updated. It was at least 10 years old then as I recall, and obviously much has changed. 

I don't remember hearing anything about a skyscraper pre-Recession, much less one 30 stories. I don't think the office market would ever support that. Perhaps a hotel/condo/apartments tower might work, but that is something you see only in bigger cities normally. There was a proposal to move County Square to Woodruff Rd. as part of Magnolia Park, in which it would have been an 8 story building. 

BTW, the county is/was suppose to do a significant study on the site this year. I haven't hear any info. yet though.  

I agree that a 6 story limit is pretty arbitrary for this site and serves no purpose whatsoever. Likewise, the site needs a lot of thought ,and should be an extension to Downtown and very urban. The potential for something really game changing is certainly there. The income demographics within a 3 mile radius have got to be soaring these days, maybe a significant retail presence can be included. I really can't see the city not allowing at least 8-10 stories on the site if a solid proposal came forth.  

Being so close to the West End and the baseball stadium certainly gives that some advantages, but I can see some impediments to the development. First, it's just a silly amount of real estate, about three times the size of South Ridge, and Four times the size of the Greenville News Plot. That will not only take a very dedicated developer with a clear vision, but it will be hard to pull off cohesively in a way that will communicate with all of its surroundings.

Second, there's already a lot of infrastructure in there, and uprooting it will probably require a suitable replacement for those services first. Between County Square and the University Center, there's a lot of moving parts.

Third, and I think most importantly, is the restricted access between the site and the rest of downtown. The site is right next to the west end, and it would certainly transition effortlessly into the area, but the Governor's school intractably blocks it from easy access to the park. Further, on its east end, the tract doesn't exactly meet up with any pedestrian intensive part of downtown. If the downtown area can hinge outward off of its linear path with Camperdown, and into the under-utilized blocks between Main and Church streets, it may have a broader connection to the rest of the city, but without that, it will be an odd extension of the West end that tapers into the South Ridge intersection. The West End's development is certainly reaching a fever pitch lately, but I just don't see it viably keeping the same character and energy by dog-legging out around the Governor's School. At best, I think it would be set for something along the lines of South Ridge, or a commercial center on the western portion with more emphasis on single-family throughout the rest. It is, of course, mostly about money, and not fit.

I do hope I'm wrong and that somebody else has more vision than I do and can pull it off. Just making observation

6 stories is indeed the official story limit for that section of Haynie-Sirrine PD. I believe this was made for homeowners around didn't want high-rises built in their backyards. 

It is 6 stories to about Wakefield, 3 stories to about Springer, and then single family after. The stair step height was again made for the homeowners. The existing hotel now converted to an apartment building didn't have to comply since its an existing building.

This is why the "front" part of the Beach development is 5-6 stories while the back half is 3 stories for that section is limited to 3 stories. 

Im not aware of any height limit so a story can be as tall as you want it.

Not sure if there could be variances given either, but if any body could get a variance, I am betting it would be the county. 

Well that is a little disappointing given the opportunities that site presents but it makes sense why South Ridge is low rise with those limits in effect. Very disappointing indeed, BUT, I respect the homeowners of the area and they have a right to have a say in what goes there. IMO, it make's it even more important that is be ultra high density since it will only be low-rise. As I recall, the plan had a lot of surface parking and did not seem very dense to me. Anyone have a link to that plan? (Perhaps this discussion should be relocated to a different or new thread?) 

Link Here: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/DocumentCenter/View/296

2.4.8 County Square In accordance with the Southwest Sector Plan completed by LDR in 1998, the Master Plan suggests that there exists significant redevelopment potential of underutilized sites along University Ridge. Included in this redevelopment area is the significant parking in front of County Square. The Master Plan shows the development of the first layer of parking, for possible sale for office or mixed-use development. The typical floorplate and parking requirements for such development would most likely consume only half of the current front yard parking lot. If the large amount of additional overflow parking is indeed necessary, the sale of the property for redevelopment could offset some or all of the costs of structured parking to the side or rear of the County Square building. Given the preliminary analysis of this study, the plan recommends that the County complete a feasibility study to evaluate the current building and future office needs as compared to the potential public and private redevelopment of the site.

While the plan does say 6 stories is the limit here, the original document referred to the 'first row' of parking and not to the entire parcel, including where the building currently stands. Frankly the closet residential homes are on the south side of Wakefield. Even a 10 or 12 story building placed where the current building is, would not 'tower' over those homes.       

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, looks like I will be moving here. :) Leaving 400 Rhett due to parking issues and rental rate increase. Planning to sign my lease tomorrow. Several of the floor plans are sold out and the one I want is the last one available currently. Needless to say demand is still through the roof for apartments downtown. 

• Like 1

Well, looks like I will be moving here. :) Leaving 400 Rhett due to parking issues and rental rate increase. Planning to sign my lease tomorrow. Several of the floor plans are sold out and the one I want is the last one available currently. Needless to say demand is still through the roof for apartments downtown. 

yea, I've heard 400 Rhett's rates were doing some pretty big jumps. Good luck with the move!