South Ridge (Church St. and University Ridge)

legend2308

It might cutting edge, but its ugly. It looks like the 80's threw up and had a baby. Preformed tan concrete with a flat roof line and a completely flat facade. There is nothing exciting about the exterior of the building.

I think you are over-simplying it, but I did notice from driving by the site that the rendering is actually of the side facing the parking, not the side facing either Church or Augusta. I think this will be one of those projects that requires completion to really judge it.

BTW, the city council tonight will discuss spending $40k to update the Haynie-Sirrine Master Plan, which is now 10 years old. The description says 'With a number of projects on the drawing board, staff recommends updating the plan to guide future development'.

Has anyone heard anything of any plans for this area?

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/CouncilAgendas/minutes/2012/NOVEMBER/Formal/11-12-2012/Item%2014f%20-%20Appropriate%20of%20$140,000%20Haynie%20Sirrine%20Plan%20and%20Citywide%20Demolitions.pdf

It might cutting edge, but its ugly. It looks like the 80's threw up and had a baby. Preformed tan concrete with a flat roof line and a completely flat facade. There is nothing exciting about the exterior of the building.

I agree. I keep hoping that it will look better as it gets finished, but so far I'm pretty disappointed in the look of the building. Very boring design and a blank wall facing Augusta St.

Was anybody there tonight?

The meeting isnt until the 26th. Below is an email sent out today and attached is a site plan of the proposed (credit Alta Vista Neighborhood Association):

"The Beach Company (www.thebeachcompany.com), a family-owned, Charleston-based real estate development firm, currently has approximately 8.5 acres of the 11 acre site under contract for purchase. Their intent for the property, as expressed through preliminary plans submitted to the City of Greenville and shared with Alta Vista and Haynie-Sirrine neighborhood leadership, is to build a mixed-use community consisting of roughly 375 residential rental units, 16,000 square feet of office/retail space, and structured parking. This development would also include open spaces in the form of courtyards, pocket parks, and water features.

The residential component of this project is expected to be primarily comprised of one-bedroom and studio "Class A" apartments, which are generally viewed to be a high-end market offering. In terms of the architectural characteristics of the buildings, brick and hardi-plank siding, open floor plans, balconies overlooking the downtown area, and 9 foot ceilings are all advertised features. The retail component is currently planned along University Ridge across from the Next Innovation Center, leading up to the intersection of University Ridge and Church Street. Please see the attached site plan for an illustrative example of the current configuration and layout of the project."

post-25280-0-90549900-1352958388_thumb.p

Edited by Gville2012

The meeting isnt until the 26th. Below is an email sent out today and attached is a site plan of the proposed (credit Alta Vista Neighborhood Association):

"The Beach Company (www.thebeachcompany.com), a family-owned, Charleston-based real estate development firm, currently has approximately 8.5 acres of the 11 acre site under contract for purchase. Their intent for the property, as expressed through preliminary plans submitted to the City of Greenville and shared with Alta Vista and Haynie-Sirrine neighborhood leadership, is to build a mixed-use community consisting of roughly 375 residential rental units, 16,000 square feet of office/retail space, and structured parking. This development would also include open spaces in the form of courtyards, pocket parks, and water features.

The residential component of this project is expected to be primarily comprised of one-bedroom and studio "Class A" apartments, which are generally viewed to be a high-end market offering. In terms of the architectural characteristics of the buildings, brick and hardi-plank siding, open floor plans, balconies overlooking the downtown area, and 9 foot ceilings are all advertised features. The retail component is currently planned along University Ridge across from the Next Innovation Center, leading up to the intersection of University Ridge and Church Street. Please see the attached site plan for an illustrative example of the current configuration and layout of the project."

This site just can't seem to get a quality, urban development. First a Walmart proposal, now these "suburban" apartments masking as urban. I guess this development is ok.....just ok.....come on Greenville, you can do better.

Edited by gs3

This site just can't seem to get a quality, urban development. First a Walmart proposal, now these "suburban" apartments masking as urban. I guess this development is ok.....just ok.....come on Greenville, you can do better.

What makes it just ok? I'm impressed by a good many components, the biggest being the underground parking garage along with the development fronting the street. I can't speak for the aesthetic value of the development and maybe that is terrible. But until I see that I don't understand how these are "suburban."

Stupid posts like this are exactly why you don't see me and others on this forum much lately.

• Like 1

The renderings look to be a duotone, that are hard to discern. I think there is some room for improvement myself.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2012/DECEMBER/PlanningCommission/12-13-2012/MD-12-255-UniversityRidgeandC%20hurchStreet.pdf

Definite room for improvement. The amount of surface parking, the large footprint and the numerous detached buildings.....definitely suburban. They try to mask the suburban attitude with the one building on the corner and the small amount of retail. Nice attempt, but no dice. OK = Fabulous in these parts. LOL!

This is the kind of large development that deserves utility burial. HOPEFULLY we'll see that coincide with this project.

This will definitely help urbanize our new South Church Street. And, guess what: they'll be charged with cutting their own grass, and they'll probably upgrade their sidewalks. The overall feel of this entire development could be greatly enhanced if they'd simply turn one of those buildings on "Parcel B" to acknowledge Church Street. But, it's still early, and there is time for improvements. We'll see what happens!

Are you serious with this comment? Come on. Grow up.

I think you are over-simplying it, but I did notice from driving by the site that the rendering is actually of the side facing the parking, not the side facing either Church or Augusta. I think this will be one of those projects that requires completion to really judge it.

BTW, the city council tonight will discuss spending $40k to update the Haynie-Sirrine Master Plan, which is now 10 years old. The description says 'With a number of projects on the drawing board, staff recommends updating the plan to guide future development'.

Has anyone heard anything of any plans for this area?

http://www.greenvill...Demolitions.pdf

I guess we now know why this was coming up... but does anyone know how this discussion went?