Three sisters New Haven

Afro Saxon

I'm in my second year of house hunting. I came across this a last night, and I am trying to find more detailed descriptions of them, I've check the city of New haven and have google search them with no luck. Any of you good fellows have any information?

http://yahoo.realtyview.com//Details/Start...ascending=False

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm in my second year of house hunting. I came across this a last night, and I am trying to find more detailed descriptions of them, I've check the city of New haven and have google search them with no luck. Any of you good fellows have any information?

http://yahoo.realtyview.com//Details/Start...ascending=False

I would contact the keeper of this blog

http://www.designnewhaven.com

seems to know everything happening downtown. I used that site to help fill in some of the blanks here at UP

also you can see the buildings using this

http://windowslivelab.com/virtualearth/sdk/

you can use the birds eye view and rotate around the buildings and see whats actually there from all 4 sides.

it's next to a new looking school

has a huge (school) parking lot behind them, and the area seems to have fairly well kept buildings.

there are some trashy houses as well though (you can see all the junk in the yards, and junk cars.

but otherwise maybe ask that blogger

I did a quick walk by this afternoon and the outside of the building is rather nice. My issue is the seemingly complete lack of greenery. It is very close to the train station but unfortunately not very close to downtown. A major plus is it is across the street from a soul food restaurant, which could compel me to buy a shack. Still I think it would be a nice first home. VOR, how familiar are you with NH? Any other older places being renovated?

I did a quick walk by this afternoon and the outside of the building is rather nice. My issue is the seemingly complete lack of greenery. It is very close to the train station but unfortunately not very close to downtown. A major plus is it is across the street from a soul food restaurant, which could compel me to buy a shack. Still I think it would be a nice first home. VOR, how familiar are you with NH? Any other older places being renovated?

sadly, not as familiar as I would like.

as you might know I am a research junkie, and I know a great deal of what I know about hartford just from house shopping up here for so long.

I Will look into it for a little bit for ya. but let me make a suggestion that works for me, but might not work for you at all.

Think about buying a nice old brick 3 family. You are from the North End, so I am sure you know the kind of building I am thinking. As a first time home buyer you only need 3% down on an FHA Mortgage. If you are buying a multi, the income from the other 2 units will easily pay your mortgage. and maybe even buy you some soul food while you live for free. Yes, this is much easier if you are at all handy, or have handy friends. But there are tons of these houses on the edge of nice neighborhoods that are great investments, and that would give you a much larger/nicer place cheaper. I got one on the edge of Frog hollow, and downtown. renting out 2 units pays everything. and you get to live in a huge unit. mine are over 1600SF per unit. It is walking distance to Aetna and the Capitol. I am sure there are simular buildings in New Haven.

it might not be super easy to find. It took me for ever running the math, and making sure the area was mostly safe.

Condos are tough. You pay this fee for maintenance and services, and it builds no equity. It feels like you are being bled out slowly by your own home.

My condo fee in Manchester is 200 a month and I literally get NO SERVICES for that sum. its rediculous. as a home owner, it makes me mad. but I suppose it is offset by the lower taxes you pay in a condo.

Today is a very busy work day for me, and I will be away this weekend, but if you remind me around Monday I would be happy to look a little deeper at whats going on in New Haven. maybe give me a budget ammount as well. I know the area NW of yale where the uni is expanding right now by the ice rink is a pretty cheap area that is pretty safe and close to it all.

First and foremost thank you for your help.

I actually like your idea about the three family, but I'm intent on having multiple floors and a basement.Still I'll think about it. I assumed the 3 sisters townhouse would have one but am not sure. I could alway get a three family and combine the top two floors, I suppose and live without a basement until my next home(my return to Hartford, hopefully)

AS,

You have to check out this house. I am not sure about the area, but at this price, you can have your top two floors. and you can rent out the bottom floor for $1120 to section8 3 bedrooms pays 1120 in Hartford. I am sure the ground flooor would need a decent amount of work to meet section8 standards, but it would be well worth it.

@ $61,800 your mortgage including taxes and insurance would be about $500 so after you got everything fixed up you would have about 1800 SF to yourself and be making 600/month towards your taxes and utility payments. I am sure it would be a great business move, as long as you were comfortable with the area, and what you could do with the place. If you were to put an extra 500/month onto the principle payment, your mortgage would be paid off in 86 months rather than 360.

ok, so as far as location, its in Asylum hill, and not in that bad of a spot in my opinion. but I am no expert on Asylum Hill.

back to financing.

if you have say $10,000 cash, you can buy this with a FHA loan or some simular program (the city of Hartford has some very generous programs buch better than FHA) by putting 3% down you only need $1854 deposit, and say another 2-3k for the other closing costs. you still have 5k to fix up the ground floor unit. Section 8 is pretty strict, but most of the work can be done quite cheaply. especially if you buy used appliances, and do the work yourself. I suspect you could get it rented out within a 2 months of closing. especially in Asylum Hill. do not take my word as bond, check with Imagineers or Hartford housing to get their opinion as they administer section 8 contracts.

within a year you should be able to fix up the whole place the way you want it and still have a mortgage payment that is laughable.

G501767_101_12.jpg

Address 17 TOWNLEY ST ADOM Zip Code 06105 A#/Twn 1/HARTFORD HARTFORD Year Blt 1890 Lot Dim 00X00 Est Acr 0.070 Zoning RO1 E/ROW Lse Opt N Subdiv Lt Map Blk # Units 3 Entry SEMIP Some updates, newer windows,...spacious units. Priced to sell....great money maker! Agt Rmks: Must have proof of funds with all offers. Fax offers with proof of funds to 860 831-1001 Show use req a showing icon Bybkr 2.50 % Dual/Var No LA/ID Dee Chillson / CHILLSOD Ofc/Ph 860-306-8121 x 113 Coldwell Banker Manning Realty Other/Ph 860-306-8121 Seller Concess Type ER E-Mail [email protected] Net Yes Ofc/Fax 860-831-1000 Team Agt: Team Agt: List Date 07/05/08 Exp Date Brk Exch Y Photo Serv Owner Ofc Rmks INCLUDED Unit ApxSqFt #Rm #Bd Bth Fll/Hlf Rent Status Appliances Included Elec Heat HtWtr 1: 3 1 1 $ 0 VACNT Y 2: 3 1 1 $ 0 VACNT Y 3: 3 1 1 $ 0 VACNT 4: #Units Monthly Range #Units Monthly Range #Units Monthly Range #Units Monthly Range Eff 1Bd 3 2Bd 3Bd Apx SqFt 2,937 / TOWN Interior # Stories 3.0 Style/Color 3UPDOWN / brick Storage Convrtd N Approved Foundation Siding BRICK Laundry NONE Basement FULL / UFIN Attic NONE In/Ex Cnd PARTUPD Garage Spcs 0 Parking 3 / OFFSTR Driveway ASPH Heating RADTR Cooling NONE Furnace 1 Fuel OIL Hot Wtr GAS Energy Water PUBCT Sewer SEPTC Lien NEITHER UFFI UNKNW Insul Conveniences Rec Facil Exterior Lot Desc LEVEL Cable Y Hndcp Gross Inc Rent Incl Restrict Gross Exp Ownr Cost Docs Avail Other Taxes Tax Phs In N Vol/Pg 0 / 0 Dir Asylum to Willard and left on Townley Contr Date S/Agt ID Selling Office Code Close Date S/Price Days On Market *

• 2 weeks later...
AS,

You have to check out this house. I am not sure about the area, but at this price, you can have your top two floors. and you can rent out the bottom floor for $1120 to section8 3 bedrooms pays 1120 in Hartford. I am sure the ground flooor would need a decent amount of work to meet section8 standards, but it would be well worth it.

@ $61,800 your mortgage including taxes and insurance would be about $500 so after you got everything fixed up you would have about 1800 SF to yourself and be making 600/month towards your taxes and utility payments. I am sure it would be a great business move, as long as you were comfortable with the area, and what you could do with the place. If you were to put an extra 500/month onto the principle payment, your mortgage would be paid off in 86 months rather than 360.

ok, so as far as location, its in Asylum hill, and not in that bad of a spot in my opinion. but I am no expert on Asylum Hill.

back to financing.

if you have say $10,000 cash, you can buy this with a FHA loan or some simular program (the city of Hartford has some very generous programs buch better than FHA) by putting 3% down you only need $1854 deposit, and say another 2-3k for the other closing costs. you still have 5k to fix up the ground floor unit. Section 8 is pretty strict, but most of the work can be done quite cheaply. especially if you buy used appliances, and do the work yourself. I suspect you could get it rented out within a 2 months of closing. especially in Asylum Hill. do not take my word as bond, check with Imagineers or Hartford housing to get their opinion as they administer section 8 contracts.

within a year you should be able to fix up the whole place the way you want it and still have a mortgage payment that is laughable.

G501767_101_12.jpg

Address 17 TOWNLEY ST ADOM Zip Code 06105 A#/Twn 1/HARTFORD HARTFORD Year Blt 1890 Lot Dim 00X00 Est Acr 0.070 Zoning RO1 E/ROW Lse Opt N Subdiv Lt Map Blk # Units 3 Entry SEMIP Some updates, newer windows,...spacious units. Priced to sell....great money maker! Agt Rmks: Must have proof of funds with all offers. Fax offers with proof of funds to 860 831-1001 Show use req a showing icon Bybkr 2.50 % Dual/Var No LA/ID Dee Chillson / CHILLSOD Ofc/Ph 860-306-8121 x 113 Coldwell Banker Manning Realty Other/Ph 860-306-8121 Seller Concess Type ER E-Mail [email protected] Net Yes Ofc/Fax 860-831-1000 Team Agt: Team Agt: List Date 07/05/08 Exp Date Brk Exch Y Photo Serv Owner Ofc Rmks INCLUDED Unit ApxSqFt #Rm #Bd Bth Fll/Hlf Rent Status Appliances Included Elec Heat HtWtr 1: 3 1 1 $ 0 VACNT Y 2: 3 1 1 $ 0 VACNT Y 3: 3 1 1 $ 0 VACNT 4: #Units Monthly Range #Units Monthly Range #Units Monthly Range #Units Monthly Range Eff 1Bd 3 2Bd 3Bd Apx SqFt 2,937 / TOWN Interior # Stories 3.0 Style/Color 3UPDOWN / brick Storage Convrtd N Approved Foundation Siding BRICK Laundry NONE Basement FULL / UFIN Attic NONE In/Ex Cnd PARTUPD Garage Spcs 0 Parking 3 / OFFSTR Driveway ASPH Heating RADTR Cooling NONE Furnace 1 Fuel OIL Hot Wtr GAS Energy Water PUBCT Sewer SEPTC Lien NEITHER UFFI UNKNW Insul Conveniences Rec Facil Exterior Lot Desc LEVEL Cable Y Hndcp Gross Inc Rent Incl Restrict Gross Exp Ownr Cost Docs Avail Other Taxes Tax Phs In N Vol/Pg 0 / 0 Dir Asylum to Willard and left on Townley Contr Date S/Agt ID Selling Office Code Close Date S/Price Days On Market *

Do yourself a favor and have a realtor set up a MLS search for you.

The guy I used to buy my multi can do it for you over the phone if you want.

just set the perameters.

I set mine up for 3-4 family, brick, 3000+SF maybe it was 2500+ and I do not get more than a couple a day max. so many in Asylum hill are super deals right now however. It makes me wish I waited to buy but my building makes great rents I guess because its not in Asylum Hill.

I just got another MLS update on that property.

it seems that what is for sale is half of a 6 family.

the MLS I got today was for the other half.

it is listed as 15 Townley

and is listed at 59,900

so buying the wholw building would be only 130K

I would advise agains just half of a building because you never know how the other half would be maintained or whom would be living there.

But there are 3 more picturees now

G501867_101_12.jpg

G501867_201_22.jpg

G501867_301_22.jpg

I got another good one today.

This one is in a nice area, that is definately getting nicer.

I bought in this area.

Click here to view more information about the properties below.

Status Change $154,900 110 BABCOCK STREET

This part of babcock is sliding towards the less good areas actually, but all in all it is not a bad spot.

this house is well under market as well. and after spending a total of 200k you would have a great 2/3rd floor and a nice rental on the ground.

and it is detatched

Archived