Capital Area Pathways Project (CAPP)

nquint1

Of course some brave souls like to travel via bike like the poor fools who trek up Perkins. But the layout of BR, the weather and whatnot just don't make it hospitable. Recreationally? Sure. But if you were to spend 50 million of bike paths from one end of the city to the other that would not solve any issues that affect transportation.

Of course some brave souls like to travel via bike like the poor fools who trek up Perkins. But the layout of BR, the weather and whatnot just don't make it hospitable. Recreationally? Sure. But if you were to spend 50 million of bike paths from one end of the city to the other that would not solve any issues that affect transportation.

I agree, if anything the more dense areas in the city will see some type of biking to work. Personally I would not ever ride my bike to work in the city, even with these 'improvements' I would rather drive or take public transportation. 

I don't think it will make a massive dent in BR's traffic problem. It will connect several residential areas where a good number of the residents work at the surrounding medical and research facilities. It will connect those same neighborhoods to a variety of leisure/entertainment options. While it may not be viable to expect all of Baton Rouge to be covered in pathways, it seems to make sense in this area. You've got employment centers, residential areas, and entertainment areas all in very close proximity to one another. Doesn't seem any more unreasonable than having a bike and walking path between the Garden District and LSU.

Obviously the same thing wouldn't work in areas of town where people already have to drive more than a few miles to get to the nearest major employment center. I'm can't be 100% certain it will be super successful, but this seems to be a good area to test it out on. 

Now if only we could get some shade trees...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Just imagine if City Place and Towne Center were built like Perkins Rowe... :shok:

Have often thought the same thing!!  Those two places could have been set up so much better! Don't want to get into too long a rant on that subject lol...but have talked about this plenty in the past!

But...always thought the wooden/pedestrian bridge at Gates at CitiPlace going across Ward's Creek was pretty cool...

• 4 months later...

BREC trail on course to get missing link — bridge over Wards Creek...

http://theadvocate.com/news/11059542-123/brec-trail-on-course-to

Commenting on an old post, but I've heard (from reliable sources) that BREC will not even finish the bridge because it would be too heavy to prefab and crane into place and too costly to re-build it any other way.  As an avid cyclist over the past 15 years I've viewed this trail with skepticism from the very beginning. And it's sadly taken about as long to even get the trail to this point.

A lot of money and time went into building pedestrian/bike infrastructure in the wrong place if you ask me. That money could have been better spent to remedy multiple problem spots around the city that have been real obstacles to safe riding/commuting.

Edited by caballero

Thanks for the head's up Caballaro...sorry to hear the problems with the bridge.

It would be nice to ride a bike from Perkins Rd/Olympia Stadium/X'treme Sports Park into the Bayou Duplantier watershed & on the other side to the LSU Lakes! Hope that's not just a pipe dream...

• Like 1

I created this biking/pedestrian map. It's still a work in progress. I have left out some areas because I don't know the area or it already has decent connectivity. I may come back and add those areas later... I've identified many of the problem spots, roads and other missing infrastructure to which BR should be focusing money and attention.  I also highlight existing trails, key low traffic roads, planned trails and trails that need to be replaced, but already serve as rideable & walkable infrastructure. Lack of safe and marked intersections is a major problem in this city and a deterrent to families and new riders getting out there and riding/walking to local businesses, parks, etc. 

Some of this will NEVER happen with the old school mentality we have here in BR, but in most instances is the ONLY alternative to getting under i10 (for instance). Also, I recommend not building trails along major drainage creeks whenever possible because of the maintenance that would be required to keep these trails open.  Flooding and errosion is no small concern, especially along Duplanier and Ward. I grew up with Duplanier in my backyard and do trail work at many local MTB trails so I can tell you it would be a huge liability and the trails in those areas would be closed much of the year. So, i avoided proposing those routes in my map.

I feel like BR needs a comprehensive plan to catch up to many peer cities competing against us for investment and in-migration. Please feel free to give me your opinions or suggest revisions, etc.

https://flic.kr/p/sWocv8

Edited by caballero

Neat! Honestly I haven't been keeping up with this like I probably should have. Definitely some good ideas. I agree that we'll need more "big city" amenities to attract residents.

As a side note, I don't know if that rendering cover this but hopefully they plan on planting some more landscaping along North Boulevard as the new part looks great but the rest looks kind of neglected.