Carolina Panthers 2008/2009 Season

Andyc545

I agree, Korny did tick me off several times with his subtle insults of Charlotte.

I will have to point out that in Jon Gruden's post-game press conference, he must've forgotten that the Panthers were from "Carolina" after he referred to the fans as "these North Carolina fans."

Oh yea, and the Carillon tower looked awesome in blue too. I kind of wish that was a more common occurrence.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Yeah, I hope someone corrected Gruden and the fans from SC don't get too annoyed. :)

I think it would probably help drum up regional support for the Panthers if they played one of their home preseason games in another Carolina town. I was thinking they could rotate it each year...maybe a game in Clemson, Columbia, Charleston, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Winston-Salem, Greenville (NC), and maybe Boone would help people from around the Carolinas get more excited about the Panthers. There seem to be alot of Redskins fans in the Triangle area, and I'm sure there is some Falcons support in western NC and SC. The Panthers need to truly dominate the Carolina market in order to expand and solidify the fan base.

^ Yeah, I hope someone corrected Gruden and the fans from SC don't get too annoyed. :)

I think it would probably help drum up regional support for the Panthers if they played one of their home preseason games in another Carolina town. I was thinking they could rotate it each year...maybe a game in Clemson, Columbia, Charleston, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Winston-Salem, Greenville (NC), and maybe Boone would help people from around the Carolinas get more excited about the Panthers. There seem to be alot of Redskins fans in the Triangle area, and I'm sure there is some Falcons support in western NC and SC. The Panthers need to truly dominate the Carolina market in order to expand and solidify the fan base.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Panthers play at Clemson for a preseason game or two a few years back? (no, I'm not thinking of their first year.)

*CORRECTION: you're right dbull, I just have a horrible memory I guess.

Also, another point I forgot to mention before, what was with the stands being half-empty with six minutes left in the game? Really? Is getting home faster that important that you can't stay to cheer for the team you paid good money to see play? I mean, this was one of the biggest regular season games in team history and you left early? How can you call yourself a fan? I still wish people like that weren't allowed to go to the games, especially not the ones on the national stage. I'm aware it's impossible to control for, but it ticks me off to absolutely no end.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Panthers play at Clemson for a preseason game or two a few years back? (no, I'm not thinking of their first year.)

Also, another point I forgot to mention before, what was with the stands being half-empty with six minutes left in the game? Really? Is getting home faster that important that you can't stay to cheer for the team you paid good money to see play? I mean, this was one of the biggest regular season games in team history and you left early? How can you call yourself a fan? I still wish people like that weren't allowed to go to the games, especially not the ones on the national stage. I'm aware it's impossible to control for, but it ticks me off to absolutely no end.

A new scenario just popped in on the Observer that got me thinking about the rest of the season:

I'm in no way worried about this weekend's game against the Broncos. With a 204-101 PF/PA spread at home this season, I don't see the Panthers losing to a team that has a 159-155 spread on the road (which is strangely better than their spread at home.)

So, as long as the Panthers beat the Broncos at BoA, there are two games that have major implications on how/if the Panthers start the playoffs, no matter what the outcomes:

Giants @ Cowboys

-If the Cowboys win, we'll be tied for first in the NFC (home-field advantage) with the Giants. Thus, when the Giants-Panthers game comes around, if the Panthers win, the game in New Orleans won't make a difference, win-or-lose.

-If the Giants win against the Cowboys, then the Panthers are guaranteed to make the playoffs regardless of their last two games.

Bucs @ Falcons

-If the Falcons beat the Bucs, as long as Carolina wins in either NO or NY, they will win the NFC South division.

-If the Bucs beat the Falcons, then, the Panthers are guaranteed to make the playoffs regardless of their last two games.

As long as Carolina sticks to the running game, if Stewart averages 100.4ypg, he would become the fourth Panther this season with over 1000 yards of offense. Having four players with 1000+ yards in the regular season would be a first in team history. And it's not impossible for Moose to get there either, although I'd say he doesn't have much of a chance given Jake's performance these past few weeks. I see Fox relying a lot more on Smash and Dash.

Fun Fact: Since 2001, the away team has always won by at least 13 when the Panthers and Giants play each other. Good thing we're playing in New York this year.

Was fortunate enough to go to the game Monday night. The atmosphere was really electric, the loudest I think I've heard the stadium since the Jan '04 playoff win over the Cowboys. Thank goodness the typical wine and cheesies were not evident - most of the fans were standing up throughout the entire game!!

Well, given their division, that doesn't honestly mean a thing. That's like having the best snow blower in Cuba. Their division has the second worst combined record in the NFL. All four teams combined have only won 8 games vs 24 losses outside of their division. That compared to the 24 wins and 8 losses outside of the division in the NFC South. Carolina has beaten every team in the Broncos' division and outscored them 77-30. The Broncos may have won their division and are bound for the playoffs, and for that I will give them credit, but they are doing it against teams that all have losing records. Put it this way, if the Broncos had a 6-7 record, they'd still be winning their conference.

Plus, look at it this way. Before last week, the Buccaneers had allowed only 1 rushing touchdown all season. We scored four rushing touchdowns. The Broncos, on the other hand, have allowed 17 this year. Wonder where our points will be coming from... Plus Cutler has thrown the third most interceptions this season while their defense has only had 5 interceptions themselves. Jake has a great chance of staying interception free in this game.

Because of the Eagles' tie with Cincinnati, the NFC South now has the best record in the NFL at 34-18-0 vs the NFC East's 33-18-1. IMO, the only quality teams in the NFC are in those two divisions, the Cardinals have the worst division overall to rack up wins within while Minnesota and Chicago both barely have positive PF/PA ratios and have Green Bay and Detroit to beat up on four times a season.

*CORRECTION: you're right dbull, I just have a horrible memory I guess.

Well, given their division, that doesn't honestly mean a thing. That's like having the best snow blower in Cuba. Their division has the second worst combined record in the NFL. All four teams combined have only won 8 games vs 24 losses outside of their division. That compared to the 24 wins and 8 losses outside of the division in the NFC South. Carolina has beaten every team in the Broncos' division and outscored them 77-30. The Broncos may have won their division and are bound for the playoffs, and for that I will give them credit, but they are doing it against teams that all have losing records. Put it this way, if the Broncos had a 6-7 record, they'd still be winning their conference.

Plus, look at it this way. Before last week, the Buccaneers had allowed only 1 rushing touchdown all season. We scored four rushing touchdowns. The Broncos, on the other hand, have allowed 17 this year. Wonder where our points will be coming from... Plus Cutler has thrown the third most interceptions this season while their defense has only had 5 interceptions themselves. Jake has a great chance of staying interception free in this game.

Because of the Eagles' tie with Cincinnati, the NFC South now has the best record in the NFL at 34-18-0 vs the NFC East's 33-18-1. IMO, the only quality teams in the NFC are in those two divisions, the Cardinals have the worst division overall to rack up wins within while Minnesota and Chicago both barely have positive PF/PA ratios and have Green Bay and Detroit to beat up on four times a season.

Aussie... this is the NFL. No game is an instant win. Look at our performance against Detroit, the worst team in the NFL with not even one win. Sure we won the game, but if maybe one or two plays went differently, we could have just as easily lost that game. Yes- Denver sucks, but any team has the potential to beat any team. You're also not accounting for other variables, like what if one of our stars gets hurt, etc, and let's hope it doesn't happen. Look at what happened to the Patriots at the beginning of the season...

I would be careful...Denver has beaten every other NFC South opponent this season. And on the Panthers getting 4 rushing TDs this week when the Bucs have only allowed one all year - while the Panthers seemed to be playing at a much higher level during this game, I would also say the Bucs were playing one of their worst games this season. Much like when the Panthers got stomped 27-3 the first go round. The Bucs had several dropped passes (a couple in the end zone) that should have been caught, and had they this game could have turned out much differently.

The problem with the Broncos is that they are a definitive Jeckyl and Hyde team. One week they will lose to KC, the next they will go to Atlanta or New York and win. We just don't know what team shows up until kick off. I'm keeping my eyes on this one. Jay Cutler worries me a little. But thankfully they have one of the worst run defenses in the league.

Aussie... this is the NFL. No game is an instant win. Look at our performance against Detroit, the worst team in the NFL with not even one win. Sure we won the game, but if maybe one or two plays went differently, we could have just as easily lost that game. Yes- Denver sucks, but any team has the potential to beat any team. You're also not accounting for other variables, like what if one of our stars gets hurt, etc, and let's hope it doesn't happen. Look at what happened to the Patriots at the beginning of the season...

It's great to be a Carolina Panther Fan!!! :rolleyes:

Perfect Home Record 8-0!

Smitty with over 150 yards.

Jake with over 250 throwing yards.

Kasey is aged Gold.

Williams and Steward are FIRST in the NFL for their duo in rushing yards with over 1800 rushing yards combined this year.

We have the guns. NY should be afraid.

Archived