Upstate Weather

• 1 month later...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I know you all have been waiting for it so I'll end the anticipation :P ; The Final Summer Stats for GSP 2009:

-GSP reached 90 on 46 days this summer which is about average, with a high of 98. I would estimate the GMU reached 90 no more than 30 times.

For comparison, CAE reached 90 on 73 days and CLT on only 28 days ( a little surprising to me considering CLT averages 1 degree higher than GSP)

-One thing of interest I noted was how few mornings this summer our low was in the 70's versus "dipping" down into the 60s. Our lows were in the 70s for only 24 days this year with the last being on Aug 20th. We also had a couple of mornings in the 50s over the summer, not too bad. For comparison, CAE had 77 mornings in the 70s with the last being on Sept 25, with CLT seeing 24 such mornings with the latest on Sept 23. I do not know waht the averages are for this particular stat (if any) but for reference here are last year's numbers for all 3 sites:

GSP - 47 mornings; last Sept 13

CAE - 69 mornings; last Sept 15

CLT - 33 mornings, last Sept 14

-As of today, GSP has reveived 39.49 inches of rain this year, nearly ten inches more than last year, yet still over 5 inches behind for the year!

-Neither GSP nor CLT reached 100 this year. CAE hit 100 only twice.

All-In-All, not a bad summer over the area. We'll see what El Nino has in store for our Fall/Winter/early Spring.

-BTW, San Antonio ended their streak of 90 degree days this summer with a cool 88 on Sept the 9th; following 108 consecutive days of 90 degree heat, about 2/3 of which were over 100!

• 1 month later...

Well for the most part, it has been a pretty mild fall, especially the morning lows, with only a couple of days so far officially being 32 or below. Nice and chilly the last couple of days, but this is what drives me NUTS about the upstate. We can smell the snow but it hardly ever seems to get to us! ARRGHH! SNow has blanketed a line across Texas from El Paso to Beaumont, Houston, and maybe even Galveston! Southern Parts of LA, MS, and AL will see snow. Now NOAA even has a line of watches up thorugh central AL and GA up into TN and NC. But, yep, you guessed it, it doesn't quite make it over the state line into the good ole upstate! ARRGH! Right now we can just look forward to a very cold rain with a few teasing flakes mixed in. Skipped again! Guess I'm just gonna have to move to Houston to see snow. :whistling::lol::angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Well as usual, most of the upstate got skipped again on this one. AAAARGGGHH! Many place in NC got 1-2 feet and most of the upstate got nothing. AAAARRGGGGHHH! How many cold rains will we get??? ANother system coming through on Christmas eve. What will it be you say?... you guessed it, another cold rain. AAAARRRGGGHHHH! Just snow!!!!!!!! :cold:

• 1 month later...

Well we didn't get completely skipped on this one, but overall this one's bark was much louder than it's bite in the upstate, though the mountains got dumped on again. Most of teh upstate north of 85 was predicted to get 3-6 inches, with NOAA predicting 4-9 inches for many areas. The most I have seen listed for the upstate was about 4.5 or 5 inches with a couple of places receiving 4 inches. I got about an inch and a half at my house, and a light dusting this evening. What about you guys; totals? Pictures?

I got about an inch or so here in Powdersville. The warm air advection was greater than models progged which led to more sleet/freezing rain than snow. Also, the thunderstorms down by the coast hurt the precip. amounts here. There is another system that will make its way here on Thursday/Friday. That one already looks more potent than this one. GFS model shows a few inches for this area. The high pressure up north should cause a wedge with a good deal of cold air damming if it holds.

I got about an inch or so here in Powdersville. The warm air advection was greater than models progged which led to more sleet/freezing rain than snow. Also, the thunderstorms down by the coast hurt the precip. amounts here. There is another system that will make its way here on Thursday/Friday. That one already looks more potent than this one. GFS model shows a few inches for this area. The high pressure up north should cause a wedge with a good deal of cold air damming if it holds.

Archived