Upstate Weather

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful pics of the snow, Skyliner! I think this weather setup was ideal. It was rather warm last week (even up until a couple days ago), and it's going to warm up fast again. We've had some ridiculous cold spells in 2009. I'm ready for warmer weather! :shades:

My parents just called on a cell phone to say that they have been without power for a few hours. Also, there are a couple of trees down in their subdivision. They said that the snow is beautiful though! I'm so jealous, as Charleston very rarely gets anything wintry.

SOme stats and such; some of which may surprise you...

4.3 inches of snow officially at GSP. Surprisingly it was not a daily record for the first day of March, that honor goes to a 1927 snowfall of 5.5 inches. It was however the seventh largest March snowfall on record.

-GSP has recorded 55 nights with temps below 32 this season (The first was in Nov). There were only 46 such nights last fall/winter (07/08!), and 57 in 06/07

-To contrast, GSP hit 90, 62 days this past summer (ouch), and 74 times in the summer of 07, the second highest total ever (mega ouch!)

-For comparison with the other big 2, Columbia has reached 32 the same number of times, 55, (though not on all the same nights); while Chas has reached 32 on 31 nights.

-CAE hit 90 69 times last summer, with Chas reaching that mark just 59 times.

-The low this Fall/Winter at GSP has been 13 on Jan 16th. We have not broken a single daily record low this Winter. Bear in mind that stats are from GSP. GMU (DT airport is consitantly 2-4 degrees cooler).

Also, for those who are ready for Spring, We could be in the 70s at least from Friday through next Tuesday, with llows in the upper 40s to 50!

NOAA also puts out a detailed forecast discussion for 6-10 and 8-14 day outlooks. Apparently the 8-14 day models hint at another pattern change that could bring much colder weather back into the lower 48.

All info is from NOAA

• 3 months later...

A few new notes:

Summer has certainly arrived. According to NOAA GSP reached 90 today, for the third time this year. By June 9th of last year it had reached 90 nine times already, and a record high was set for today last year of 99! Last year's June was insanely hot with an average of 79.5 and reached 90 on 22 days! For comparison, Cola reached 90 today for the 8th time this year. Interestingly, Charlotte and Atlanta, two cities that GSP "averages" a degree or two cooler than, has yet to reach 90 this year. It seems this has become more common over the last several years, which also lends support to the report last year that GSP has risen more over the last 40 years than any reporting station in the nation.

I knew it got warm yesterday, didn't realize it hit 90. Thanks for posting. ^

Part of what I love about Greenville.....even after a 90 degree day, once the sun went down, it cooled off nicely. We sat outside last night at the restaurant, and commented how the weather was near perfect. Mid 70's. Few clouds. Beautiful evening.

• 1 month later...

For the other weather nerds out there, time for a mid-summer update. :)

-As of July 31st, GSP reached 90, 12 days during the month of July, with the average monthly temp being .4 degrees below average at 78.4 degrees.

-The yearly total for 90 degree days now stands at 27, all in all not too bad for this point in the year (but of course we still have a ways to go!). The high has been 96.

-By comparison, CAE has reached 90, 22 days in July, with an overall total of 49. CLT has reached 90 only 15 days this year. I also continue to notice that Greenville DT airport (GMU) is normally 1-4 degrees cooler, and has not reached 90 on a number of days when GSP did. I would guess GMU has reached 90 around 18-20 days.

-This summer has reminded me a little of 2007, where June and July were tolerable. Lets just hope that we don't get a repeat of August 2007, I know you all remember that month!

-At least we aren't in San Antonio! The last day they had a high below 90 degrees was May 23; 70 days ago! And about half of those days have been over 100. Ouch!

-We are more than 3.5 inches below normal rainfall since June 1, and nearly 4.5 inches low for the year now. We are considered "abnormally dry."

-El Nino has pooped up again this year, and is expected to last through next winter into the spring. It could bring slightly cooler weather to us this fall and winter and more storms are a good bet. We'll see.

(all info from NOAA)

For the other weather nerds out there, time for a mid-summer update. :)

-As of July 31st, GSP reached 90, 12 days during the month of July, with the average monthly temp being .4 degrees below average at 78.4 degrees.

-The yearly total for 90 degree days now stands at 27, all in all not too bad for this point in the year (but of course we still have a ways to go!). The high has been 96.

-By comparison, CAE has reached 90, 22 days in July, with an overall total of 49. CLT has reached 90 only 15 days this year. I also continue to notice that Greenville DT airport (GMU) is normally 1-4 degrees cooler, and has not reached 90 on a number of days when GSP did. I would guess GMU has reached 90 around 18-20 days.

-This summer has reminded me a little of 2007, where June and July were tolerable. Lets just hope that we don't get a repeat of August 2007, I know you all remember that month!

-At least we aren't in San Antonio! The last day they had a high below 90 degrees was May 23; 70 days ago! And about half of those days have been over 100. Ouch!

-We are more than 3.5 inches below normal rainfall since June 1, and nearly 4.5 inches low for the year now. We are considered "abnormally dry."

-El Nino has pooped up again this year, and is expected to last through next winter into the spring. It could bring slightly cooler weather to us this fall and winter and more storms are a good bet. We'll see.

(all info from NOAA)

It looks like we are in for the hottest stretch of the year so far (hopefully for the rest of the year too!). Forecasts from NOAA and local media have us in the mid 90s through Monday, with possible upper 90s. Our hottest so far is still 96 but it sounds like we may break that this weekend. Both NOAA and TWC indicate that we may be back into the 80s by the end of next week however, so maybe the heat wave will not last too long :dunno: . Just noticed that today was another one of those days where GSP hit 90 (91) but GMU did not (89). Not a big difference, but still interesting nonetheless. Yesterday, GSP was at 96 with GMU at 92.

I wonder if this difference between GSP and GMU might help explain some of the differences between "Gville" weather and weather of other parts of the state. Gville and Cola weather are often compared, but simply lining up GSP and CAE averages and readings really do not seem to tell the whole story. Statistically, GSP averages about 3-5 degrees cooler than CAE. But GMU is closer to Gville's core, which I have noticed over the past few summers is generally another 1-4 degrees cooler at least when it comes to daytime highes. Similarly, I have also noticed that Columbia Owens Field temps, which is closer to Colas urban core, normally averages about 1-3 degrees warmer than CAE, which is father away form Colas urban core. If you look at the airports closer to each urban core, the averages would be more like 6-10 degrees. While still not a huge difference, it might help explain the difference that a lot of people perceive is there when talking about the weather /temp difference between the two cities, especially during the summer months. ie, if you go from DT gville to DT COla it feels this much different...

Just some observations that might help explain some of the differences that people talk about sometimes, FWIW.

My best recomendation to escape the heat of summer is to visit Highlands, NC, where the temperature is always ten or more degrees lower than the majority of the Upstate. It is a fairly easy drive less than two hours away from Greenville, but a huge relief this time of year. I have grown to appreciate the convenience of the mountains as one of the best reasons to live in Greenville during the summer. :shades:

Yeah, and Ceasars Head is also a great place to go and is a much shorter drive. :thumbsup:

Well GSP officially hit 100 today, the first of the year. This was actually one degree higher than CAE, in part because the upstate has had lower relative humidity over the past couple of days; 20s and 30s (quite low for this time of year) vs 40s for the midlands. Drier air heats up faster relative to more moist air. GMU topped out at 97, still very hot, but under the century mark! Looks like we have one more very hot day tomorrow (mid 90s) then they say we should drop back down to the mid to upper 80s over the extent of the forecast period.

BRING ON THE :cold: !!!

Yeah, and Ceasars Head is also a great place to go and is a much shorter drive. :thumbsup:

Well GSP officially hit 100 today, the first of the year. This was actually one degree higher than CAE, in part because the upstate has had lower relative humidity over the past couple of days; 20s and 30s (quite low for this time of year) vs 40s for the midlands. Drier air heats up faster relative to more moist air. GMU topped out at 97, still very hot, but under the century mark! Looks like we have one more very hot day tomorrow (mid 90s) then they say we should drop back down to the mid to upper 80s over the extent of the forecast period.

BRING ON THE :cold: !!!

Archived