Proposed 620ft Nashville Tower

BrandonTO416

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think too much hee-hawing is going on about this tower thing. There's so much more going on in town than this one proposal. I haven't read too much about what's being said locally about it, but I'm sure discussions similar to ours are occuring. This is just one of the many ideas for this prime downtown, waterfront property. I'm copying one post I initially posted on SSP about this which outlines more of the big picture. Aside from what is being proposed, I'd like to ask you guys what YOU think would be the best use for this property. Look at the connectivity issue. Many of projects going on are enormous in scale, some are not, but still pieces of a larger puzzle for our city. SSP tends to offer way too many Dolly Parton tower jokes (and they certainly have a place in Nashville discussions, I hesitantly suppose) instead of viable alternatives or votes of confidence in any of the projects. So what do you think? Forget the current (mis)perceptions of Nashville that seem to persist and look at it as one of south's most important and developing cities. This is important to us, and you guys are the ones from whom I'd like to hear real insight. What will work here, and why? Here's what I posted:

-------------

This is such a complicated issue at the moment. That part of downtown is totally re-inventing itself. The big picture is so important for this site. It's on the downtown side of the new Gateway Bridge. On the other side is a tract 3 or 4 times larger which is in the planning stages right now for an enormous development, Rolling Mill Hill (with its stunning downtown and river views). This will entail mixed-use on a grand scale including ultimately 1500 - 2000 new residential units. A new boulevard (pedestrian/bike/residential/retail follwing the new urban zoning policies) south of Broadway will extend from the bridge to 8th Avenue (8 full city blocks) (4th Ave in first phase, opening this fall hopefully). The Shelby Pedestrian Bridge passes over the northern tip of this property. The new $120 million classicly-Greek designed symphony hall is under construction at the foot of this bridge now. Another company owns the land surrounding this area and has proposed $100 million in new construction of mixed use, residential, retail and entertainment. New private investment on smaller scales is imminent, i.e. the new Sole Mio restaurant under construction now on 3rd Avenue. Others to follow. New clubs, music venues and restaurants seem to open weekly.

At the other end of downtown, The Gulch is experiencing its infrastructure work right now connecting with the amazing development of the Demonbreun/Broadway/Music Row corridors. Connectivity is key. A large $93 million residential/retail development will get underway soon at the immediate base of this corridor. A huge retail component is included in this from what we're told. Infrastructure work is currently underway: sidewalks, landscaping, utility burying, etc.

I'm baffled about the thermal site, however. I don't know what would be best. The Pappas (the Charlotte company presenting $100 million in retail/residential) proposal is very enticing, but could be moved a few blocks to the general area and not lose any of its benefit of providing downtown Nashville with another component to a wonderful downtown neighborhood. This company knows what it's doing. We've all seen their Charlotte (Atlanta et al) work and I like it a lot. The convention center is probably a good idea, but needs more land than is available on the site. We need at least 400,000 sq ft. of convention center, plus expansion room if ever needed. Something closer to the Gaylord Entertainment Center might be better. Cohesion and connectivity again is the issue. The Peabody hotel is a beautiful proposal and I'd be happy to see that provided provisions are made for the Sounds stadium as well and access to the new riverfront park expansion is easily accessed by the public. It too, could move a little inland. The Sounds proposal is good with Memphis Autozone Park as a model.

But after all is said and done, I'm really leaning to the tower/marina/hotel/office/retail development. Heckles is right, "the kind of town Nashville is" is not to be taken lightly. It's a unique destination and a popular one. A new 620-foot tower would be a welcome addition to the skyline (it's fairly stand alone, not in the central core) and would be a natural fit for the riverfront site. It leaves room for the stadium and I would imagine some for additional residential if desired. It will provide visual interest to locals and give the tourists something to really talk about. It will provide another reason to rediscover the river as it's only a mile or two from another $250 million marina/condo/resturant/retail proposal which I believe has cleared the zoning hoops at this time. After seeing the model, I don't think my initial shock over its design is valid anymore. It's pretty darn dramatic especially when considering its height. About 50 stories, bring it on! It's futurisic, but ya know kids, this IS the future. George Jetson might have been on to something afterall. The design DOES need some housecleaning, I'll be the first to admit that...but a new tower...sure, let's have two or three under construction all at once. Bring on the tower cranes.

Yep, I'm a bit blurry-eyed over all this. I try to see the bigger scheme. This, along with the other things mentioned will give downtown Nashville a development boost of the scale of which is not often seen on such a grand scale in many urban metros. It's a unique opportunity for us to add enormous chunks of strategically planned urbanscape to our town. This is going to be hot. My biggest problem is maintaining the patience needed while waiting to see it all happen. I'm sure hoping it does.

Sorry this is so long, but .... it's just dave.

• 8 months later...

Archived