Movies--Anyone Seen Any Lately?

ironchapman

So, has anyone been to any movies lately? Just curious.

I've seen more movies this summer than I have probably in the last two or three years.

I've seen, in order from the first to the latest:

--Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

--Get Smart

--Hancock

--Mamma Mia!

--Hellboy 2

I want to see "The Dark Night", "Step Brothers", and "The Mummy Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" (I'm not normally into mummy movies, but I love learning about ancient Asian cultures).

I have to say that Mamma Mia was the most fun I think I've ever had at the movies. The audience around me actually cheered at several points during the movies (as did I). The casting was very well done, too, and most of them actually could sing. Pierce Brosnan's voice may sound a little funny, but it's not terrible, just unusual, especially, IMO, when you remember that, not too long ago, he was James Bond. I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good time.

Get Smart was a lot of fun as well. Not as much comedy as I thought there would be, but the action sequences were well done. Steve Carrell did a great job here, as usual.

Hellboy 2 is a great movie for people who like a lot of action and special effects. It's got enough of both to spare, mixed in with a little humor. Guillermo del Toro did a fantastic job directing here (as usual).

Indiana Jones pleasantly surprised me. I didn't think they could pull it off. Plus, I like seeing movies where the Commies are the bad guys.

Hancock was an interesting take on the superhero story. Will Smith does a fantastic job, as do the other two leads. It's pretty funny with a lot of action, but the leads really carry this movie more than anything--especially Will Smith.

So, what about you guys?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Movies I've seen this year are, in order:

1. Indiana Jones 4

2. Wanted

3. The Happening

4. The Dark Knight

I liked Indiana Jones 4, but I'm not sure if it really 'fit.' I kinda wish they had just let the Indiana Jones saga rest with the trilogy.

Wanted was a visual joy ride, great effects. The story was a blending of previous successful movies. Think 'Fight Club' meets 'The Matrix.'

The Happening had a good 'idea' for a story, but again M. Knight Shamalayn has let us down. The story went goofy, and the film editing was HORRIBLE. I counted at least a dozen times you could see the microphone above the actor's heads. That is just INEXCUSABLE in a Hollywood release. NCSA students have made movies at my house and they editing students learn that lesson early. None of the student films I have copies of have allowed that to happen. M. Knight, I'm sorry but you no longer have 'the magic.' Please go away.

The Dark Knight was AWESOME! It was a great cinematic joy ride, and Heath's performance was absolutely masterful. Such a shame he can never reprise the role. Batman is portrayed much darker in this movie, and the storyline is darker than the Burton movies.

I still want to see 'Get Smart', Wall-e, and 'The X-Files.' The previews for 'Bolt' look hilarious as well!

Of course next summer, the 'Terminator' rises again...

My wife and I finally saw Wall-e a couple of weekends ago and we loved it! We don't go out to see a movie at the theater much, but we made an exception for it. I loved the 'hidden' messages that the movie was driving home.

We have a Netflix account so we typically watch movies that way (MUCH cheaper to wait for movies to come out on DVD so we can rent them instead of paying the enormous amount that the theaters charge).

This past weekend we watched Hairspray. I recommend anyone see that movie if you just want a fun movie to see. I typically don't do musicals, but this one was exceptional...and John Travolta was pretty good as a woman. :P

Get Smart was a cultural parody of the 1960s in the 1960s. I'm not sure how it would make much sense today but maybe they pulled it off. Like most remakes of old shows (and there are endless numbers of them now) they usually fall far short of the original version. I usually don't go to the theatre to see these things.

However I might make an exception to go see Batman even though it is a sequel of a movie that was a remake of a 20 year old movie which was remake of a 40 year old TV show that was a televised version of the 75 year old comic book.

I am looking forward to the next Star Trek movie. It is interesting they tossed out all of the TNG and follow-on nonsense and went back to Kirk, Spock, Uhura, McCoy and Scotty.

I've seen several good movies lately. In the past three weeks I've seen Mama Mia!, Indiana Jones, Get Smart, Gonzo (documentary about Hunter S Thompson), and September Dawn (rented, about the Brigham Young-orchestrated Utah Mountain Meadows Massacre of 150 innocent pioneers on their way to Oregon). All were great.

As for Get Smart, it is loosely-based on the TV show. A lot of fun and Steve Carell is great. If you don't remember the show or the 60s, it won't matter.

The Dark Knight was really great.. although I personally liked the previous Batman movie better.

Get Smart was quite funny and entertaining.. (never seen the show)

I agree on Hairspray.. and now you've got me wanting to see Mamma Mia as well, lol

• 2 weeks later...
My wife and I finally saw Wall-e a couple of weekends ago and we loved it! We don't go out to see a movie at the theater much, but we made an exception for it. I loved the 'hidden' messages that the movie was driving home.

We have a Netflix account so we typically watch movies that way (MUCH cheaper to wait for movies to come out on DVD so we can rent them instead of paying the enormous amount that the theaters charge).

This past weekend we watched Hairspray. I recommend anyone see that movie if you just want a fun movie to see. I typically don't do musicals, but this one was exceptional...and John Travolta was pretty good as a woman. :P

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

^The fiance and I went and saw "Religulous"......which involved going to Memphis to the only theatre in WTN and probably the Mid-South showing the film. Apparently this film did not play well in the South.....wonder why..... (sarcasm). The movie was worth the hour drive though and we had a great time in the very progressive Overton Square neighborhood of Memphis that was right up our alley.

We saw Indy 4, Batman, Hellboy 2, and Iron Man over the summer too, all were great fun and entertaining. This was probably the best summer for movies that I/we actually liked and wanted to see in years.

Wall-e is a great flick that everyone here should go see. It's a terrific commentary on today's wasteful society and where our civilization may be headed (more accurately than Blade Runner or any other sci-fi flick maybe).

In it:

) The world is run by a corporation of MASSIVE supercenters called "Buy-N-Large"

) There is so much trash on the planet Earth, robots (like Wall-e) spend all day compacting it and stacking it in massive skyscrapers of garbage

) Earthlings abandon the planet in a spaceship that provides an environment where they do nothing all day but ride around on floating chairs, talk on "cell phones", drink slushies, and grow grotesquely fat. They're so fat (and with being in space so long), their bodies can no longer support their mass. This creates a hilarious but somewhat grotesque climax to the movie.

If you have kids, they'll dig it. But I think all the adults walked out thinking "Wow, what did I just see?!"

I did not see a single movie in the theater this summer, haven't seen any movie since 2006. I so desperately wanted to see a few this year, but alas I had to wait till they were on DVD.

The summer blockbusters from this year on DVD I've seen so far are Iron Man and Indiana Jones, and Wall-E is on my "to get" list along with a few others. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll be getting to the theater anytime soon either, November looks dreadful. December has a bright spot with "The Day the Earth Stood Still" since anything with Jennifer Connelly in it is worth a look ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We watched W. last night. Don't bother watching it as it really isn't that great. I was disappointed that they didn't make it a true comedy and get someone like Will Ferrel to play the part of George W. Bush. IMO there is only one chance to make a movie about George W. Bush and they blew it with this one.

We watched W. last night. Don't bother watching it as it really isn't that great. I was disappointed that they didn't make it a true comedy and get someone like Will Ferrel to play the part of George W. Bush. IMO there is only one chance to make a movie about George W. Bush and they blew it with this one.

The two movies I'm dying to see this year are Knowing and 2012. I have high expectations so I truly hope neither disappoints.

On the other end of the spectrum, my wife and I watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail several days ago. It had been a while since we saw it and it was as hilarious as ever. That movie never gets old!

Archived