Movies--Anyone Seen Any Lately?

ironchapman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last House on the Left was a punch in the gut- at least the first half was. It started out as a very believable tale that is every parent's nightmare although it degenerated into an over the top horror flick.

Sunshine Cleaning was good- it's one of those sweet but quirky films with some very disgusting moments thrown in for good measure. The two leads did a good job for the most part.

The two movies I'm dying to see this year are Knowing and 2012. I have high expectations so I truly hope neither disappoints.

On the other end of the spectrum, my wife and I watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail several days ago. It had been a while since we saw it and it was as hilarious as ever. That movie never gets old!

I'm really hoping they put out another trailer for 2012 in short order, the one they have out now is really non-descriptive.

Non-descriptive, but it does a great job at making you want more. I'm interested in how they're going to work actual acting into this thing. I have extremely high expectations based on the little trailer they have now for it.

Watched a few movies just out on DVD over the weekend (will be playing catch up as I'm taking a 'stay'cation this week)

1. Quantum of Solace (James Bond) - Decent Bond flick..

2. Transporter 3 - Mindless man movie. I always enjoy watching unrealistic car chases!

3. Bolt - Disney cartoon. Animation was excellent and I thought it was hilarious. Rhino the hamster, cracked me up!

4. Changeling - This was a Clint Eastwood directed movie starring Angelina Jolie about a true story from L.A. in the 20's. Excellent flick, despite some slow spots. Very disturbing to see how the LAPD treated citizens back then.

The Wrestler - Good solid film. A movie that folks familiar and unfamiliar with "pro-wrestling" can enjoy.

The Watchmen - Great film adaptation of a graphic novel/comic compared to many others being hurriedly churned out by Hollywood in recent years. I thought it was a extremely well made movie in all regards, but definitely came away thinking it was marketed in a way that deceives the casual audience member into thinking it will a much more engaging action type movie than is the case. I think lots of folks saw the trailer and though Iron Man or Batman, instead of a movie with an fairly in-depth message wedded into the plot.

Tropic Thunder - Totally was prepared to not like this film, but thought Stiller and Downy (sp?) really made the film enjoyable.

Life in the Time of Cholera - My fiance had read the book, so we watched it the other night.....it was passable IMO, but she really enjoyed it - which all that really mattered to me.

------------------

Future Movies: 2012 - After seeing the title here I watched the trailer. I like the theme.....because I totally believe "not knowing" is the best policy for such a terminal event. I am assuming this movie is premised a current poplar mis-interpretation of the Mayan calendar and "pole re-alignment/reversal", which has happened in our planet's past and the world and life kept on ticking. Basic college geology teaches that such pole reversals are caused by changes in our planet's liquid metal outer core and have nothing to do the alignment of celestial bodies. Of course the film could have a totally different plot premise from the current bunk theory running around about 2012.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
We watched W. last night. Don't bother watching it as it really isn't that great. I was disappointed that they didn't make it a true comedy and get someone like Will Ferrel to play the part of George W. Bush. IMO there is only one chance to make a movie about George W. Bush and they blew it with this one.

We watched W. last night. Don't bother watching it as it really isn't that great. I was disappointed that they didn't make it a true comedy and get someone like Will Ferrel to play the part of George W. Bush. IMO there is only one chance to make a movie about George W. Bush and they blew it with this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Star Trek - darn awesome movie that blew away my expectations, which were actually kind of high.

Terminator Salvation - Cool effects, esp. the end fight sequence, but plot had huge holes and some very basic medical and military errors that most of the audience won't notice but bugged me. If your a fan you will like it, if not it is "just alright" according to the wife.

Land of the Lost - Entertaining comedy, but would advise not to expect more than that.

Wolverine - Very good comic book adaptation. Story took some extreme liberties with a certain popular character, but unless your a comic book fan from the 90s you wouldn't know.

There will be Blood - Probably the best movie I have seen in a long time. I am biased as this film is set in a time period I am keen on, plus was directed and scored perfectly IMO. Pretty slow and in depth movie, so go in expecting a good story but nothing overly exciting.

The other day I saw "Sugar". It was about a kid from the Dominican Republic nicknamed Azucar (sugar in Spanish), who was a good baseball prospect and ended up getting picked up by an American club. Quite interesting to say, showing the struggles that Dominican ballplayers face in trying to make the American big leagues. Being away from home and those they care about, the troubles they face being in a completely different world, the pressure to constantly perform at incredible levels or risk falling and losing everything.

I saw "Night at the Museum 2" today. It was a good movie. It may have even been better than the first. Washington, DC, looked beautiful in it. The romantic interest seemed a little odd to me, but it wasn't bad. There were a lot of laugh worthy moments.

Some other movies I want to see are Star Trek, Ice Age 3, The Stoning of Soraya M., The Hangover, Bruno, and The Proposal.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw 'Bruno' this afternoon. I laughed, along with the rest of the theater. It was extremely funny, but nowhere near as good as Borat. I can't believe how many times this movie crossed the line and still got a 'R' rating! It should have been NC-17.

Had heard reports of many people walking out of the theater, but no one did from ours. In fact, I was probably the oldest person in this screening as it looked like most were in there 20's.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived