Interns living downtown

The Courant has an article about companies putting interns up downtown.

It is very interesting because the major employers all do it to attract a higher level of intern, so they know that it is attractive to live downtown. It is also interesting that this intern policy shift is also a way to advertize for the cities downtown in a way. the article says that there are 250 or so living downtown right now. most of them at the Townhomes behind Sage Allen, and several in H-21 I think it is very interesting that all of this has been supported by the companies and the developers. I really hope that these parties get together and figure out how to build more housing for these people once they get made an offer. Something that caters to the youth like the AA building. Even in this "down market" the AA building has (mostly) filled up and the building is not even finished.

It seems to me that success like this should cause money to follow it. and with a quickness!

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-propert...0,4746483.story

Exerpt:

It's too early to say if the intern strategy is working. This year marks only the second summer that interns have lived in the townhouses.

They're filled with summer help from ING, Travelers, Aetna, Phoenix and United Technologies. Elsewhere downtown, ESPN and The Hartford have put up their interns at Hartford 21.

Ground zero is on the tan cement patio of the plush Temple Street Townhouses. Facing reopened Temple Street, the townhouses are home to about 100 interns along with a few UHart students remaining for the summer.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a friend who works at ESPN and he told me a few months back that ESPN had a bunch of workers living in H-21. Not only to interns and regular employees live there but I believe ESPN rents out a few units for guests that come into the studios for a week or two at a time.

Makes sense that they do this since H-21 is probably the nicest luxury apartments in the region.

I just wanted to add that the Courant article is a pile of garbage. I live downtown, I work downtown and I frequent many of the restaurants and such for happy hours (don't judge me, haha) and I can name the number of "interns" I've met on one hand. And each one of them spent most of their time beotching to me about Hartford, how they have to leave to city to buy anything and how they can't find a good time. That last one is more a result of a lack of good looking females, so I guess you can't blame the city on that.

I'm not trying to be negative here but this story is way overstated. I know a few people who work at Dish and the quote from the owner of Dish about how much business the interns make up is absurd, not even an ounce of truth to that.

My point is...the intern program is nice but it doesn't solve anything. That kid from Penn State is never going to live in Hartford. he's a college kid, so it's not like he has tons of money to spend anyway. We need to get young professionals living downtown and that's not going to really happen until there is more stuff (not restaurants, but retail) downtown.

I just wanted to add that the Courant article is a pile of garbage. I live downtown, I work downtown and I frequent many of the restaurants and such for happy hours (don't judge me, haha) and I can name the number of "interns" I've met on one hand. And each one of them spent most of their time beotching to me about Hartford, how they have to leave to city to buy anything and how they can't find a good time. That last one is more a result of a lack of good looking females, so I guess you can't blame the city on that.

I'm not trying to be negative here but this story is way overstated. I know a few people who work at Dish and the quote from the owner of Dish about how much business the interns make up is absurd, not even an ounce of truth to that.

My point is...the intern program is nice but it doesn't solve anything. That kid from Penn State is never going to live in Hartford. he's a college kid, so it's not like he has tons of money to spend anyway. We need to get young professionals living downtown and that's not going to really happen until there is more stuff (not restaurants, but retail) downtown.

That is like saying glass is 5% full. Not that 5% full is in anyway negative, but the fact that our newspaper actually killed some trees to trumpet this minor positive indicates how much further Hartford is has to go. On the positive front, downtown Hartford is heck of a lot better than 3 years ago.

I think it's relative. For me, i was coming from DC...it was a little different. Two of the interns I spoke with had come from further south (I want to say North Carolina) and, again, it's a little different.

I definitely agree Hartford is better than it was but it can always get better, ya know?

Maybe insurance is a little different than investments. We have daily processes that must be completed, or your 401k will crap out and you will cry.

I think many other industries might not have our stupid work life or lack of balance. but then again I know that when I leave the office at 6,7, or sometimes 8 I see plenty of other people doing the same. So I know we are not alone. We have a 830 start usually.

Archived