Where are all the grocery stores in this town?

Seriously, does Publix have it written in their contract that no other grocery store chain enter the Orlando market? When I lived in Portland; within a 2 mile radius I had:

1. Fred Meyer

2. Haggen Foods

3. New Seasons Marketplace

4. Zupans

5. Safeway

6. Albertsons

7. Wild Oats Market

8. Whole Foods

9. Trader Joes

10. Lamb'sThirftway

11. Winco Foods

With the majority of Albertsons closing down in Orlando and most Winn Dixie stores feel like a glorified gift shop for tourists...why doesn't Orlando have more options for buying food, both regular or organic? Do most people in this city just eat out instead of actually making their dinner? I'm so frustrated. With over a 1 million metro area, there should be more than 2 or 3 options for grocery stores in this city.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seriously, does Publix have it written in their contract that no other grocery store chain enter the Orlando market? When I lived in Portland; within a 2 mile radius I had:

1. Fred Meyer

2. Haggen Foods

4. Zupans

5. Safeway

6. Albertsons

7. Wild Oats Market

8. Whole Foods

9. Trader Joes

10. Lamb'sThirftway

11. Winco Foods

With the majority of Albertsons closing down in Orlando and most Winn Dixie stores feel like a glorified gift shop for tourists...why doesn't Orlando have more options for buying food, both regular or organic? Do most people in this city just eat out instead of actually making their dinner? I'm so frustrated. With over a 1 million metro area, there should be more than 2 or 3 options for grocery stores in this city.

A few reasons:

First, Orlando isn't Portland. Though it is certainly changing, this is still a "vanilla" market. (I say that as a native who loves Orlando and all the progress we've made, but realizes that in a county which voted for Goldwater in 1964 and with a university which was the only one Nixon felt "safe" speaking at as president, we had a long way to go <_< .)

Second, Publix considers this their "home" market. They have always jealously guarded it and will continue to do so. Over the years, just about every major grocery retailer has tried and failed, with the exception of WalMart, to make a foothold. (Albertson's had a good run, almost 35 years, but like most of the others, as publicly held companies, they focused on what Wall St. wanted, not necessarily what was best for the long-term interests of the business. Publix, being closely held and family-controlled, can do what they want and need to, and thus far, the family is still intimately involved with the business.)

Third, Publix reconfigures as required to meet the competition. When Publix' competition was Winn-Dixie, A&P and Pantry Pride, they were much more aggressive in fighting on price. Knowing they can't beat Wal-Mart, DGM and soon Aldi on price (and with the demise of Gooding's at the top of the market), they've set themselves up as the upscale grocer.

Fourth, they are not shy about working the niches. Look for one or more of the Albertson's they purchased to become a Publix GreenWise Market, to compete with Whole Foods. Publix Sabor was started to compete in the heavily Hispanic areas.

Fifth, they just do it better. Every time Consumer Reports rates supermarkets, Publix always ranks in the top 2 or 3 (#1 on occasion) among large-chain stores. Publix almost always ranks among the highest in the annual UM retail customer satisfaction study.

Orlando will continue to grow and we'll see more options, but look for Publix to remain top of the heap hereabouts for a long, long time.

From what I have heard (haven't done anything to confirm), Publix is going to move into the Albertson's that they purchased at the Winter Park Village and change the one down the street on Orlando Avenue into a Green Wise. Someone may have already posted this information before, but I don't remember and don't even feel like searching.

From what I have heard (haven't done anything to confirm), Publix is going to move into the Albertson's that they purchased at the Winter Park Village and change the one down the street on Orlando Avenue into a Green Wise. Someone may have already posted this information before, but I don't remember and don't even feel like searching.

In a survey based on my coworkers' word-of-mouth chatting up the employees here in WPV, it looks like the consensus is mid-September for the Albertsons here to close (or have no inventory) and a Dec to Jan opening for Publix. We were already lamenting the close of the Starbucks in there (and soon the closing of the other Starbucks, which should happen in about a month). Now we miss the Albertsons salad bar. Albertsons also used to have amazing Managers Specials. Not to mention their 10 for $10 loss leaders. I only hope they replace that space with something as convenient for lunch and after-work stops for fresh and price-friendly food.

Didnt Publix buy out Goodings?

On a side note... Goldwater was pro gay rights and for the legalization of some drugs. He is my libertarian hero.

And back on topic... not that I ever shopped there, but I miss having a Piggly Wiggly.

We do have Fresh Market and Whole Foods. But I do wish we had more diversity.

Winn-Dixie is the company that bought (and IMO took down) Goodings. I went into Piggly Wiggly a few times for the munchies. The floors were always yellowed linoleum. That may not sound too bad, but they were supposed to be white. Not the greatest place, but I always liked saying the name when I would drive past one. Piggly Wiggly. Piggly Wiggly. See. That's fun.

Off topic: Andrew White aka Lot 1433 is opening tonight at 7pm at Pound Gallery at City Arts Factory. I met him once at CAF during the Florida Music Festival. Nice guy and I saw a few pieces of his at Bay Two at Mills Park. One of his pieces was definitely my favorite that night. This piece in particular had a stuffed bunny rabbit sitting on the floor looking slightly up with a scared look on its face. The rest of the piece was absolutely black. The bunny was very well done and the emptiness left it up to you to determine what was happening. Better yet, what was the bunny looking at? And what was looking back scaring the bunny so?

Didnt Publix buy out Goodings?

On a side note... Goldwater was pro gay rights and for the legalization of some drugs. He is my libertarian hero.

And back on topic... not that I ever shopped there, but I miss having a Piggly Wiggly.

We do have Fresh Market and Whole Foods. But I do wish we had more diversity.

In a survey based on my coworkers' word-of-mouth chatting up the employees here in WPV, it looks like the consensus is mid-September for the Albertsons here to close (or have no inventory) and a Dec to Jan opening for Publix. We were already lamenting the close of the Starbucks in there (and soon the closing of the other Starbucks, which should happen in about a month). Now we miss the Albertsons salad bar. Albertsons also used to have amazing Managers Specials. Not to mention their 10 for $10 loss leaders. I only hope they replace that space with something as convenient for lunch and after-work stops for fresh and price-friendly food.

I went to do my groceries yesterday at the Winter Park Village Albertsons. They are already clearancing everything. It shouldn't be long before it is closed.

They weren't honoring any of the sales yesterday, just the 5-20% clearance discounts on everything in the store.

We left and went to the Michigan location. It is old, not as clean and the clientelle isn't as good, but they still have decent products. And, yes, they had the $4.99 snowcrab, which was a delicious dinner last night. :shades:

Also, did anyone notice Mom's Meats, Pop's Produce is getting a new name and a new facade? I'm guessing it is under new management/owners. They were closed yesterday but they looked like they were almost done with the work, so we'll see what happens with Mom's Meats, Pop's Produce.

I went to do my groceries yesterday at the Winter Park Village Albertsons. They are already clearancing everything. It shouldn't be long before it is closed.

They weren't honoring any of the sales yesterday, just the 5-20% clearance discounts on everything in the store.

We left and went to the Michigan location. It is old, not as clean and the clientelle isn't as good, but they still have decent products. And, yes, they had the $4.99 snowcrab, which was a delicious dinner last night. :shades:

Also, did anyone notice Mom's Meats, Pop's Produce is getting a new name and a new facade? I'm guessing it is under new management/owners. They were closed yesterday but they looked like they were almost done with the work, so we'll see what happens with Mom's Meats, Pop's Produce.

I'm not going to lie and say the Michigan Albertsons is nice or anything, but I've yet to have a problem with their meat or seafood... I can't say the same thing for Publix or even Fresh Market in Longwood.

We are excited for the Target as well. Target is the best for cereal, junkfood, boxed/bagged stuff and frozen foods. Plus, the Archer Farms brand is very good. As good as Publix brand.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

1. Fred Meyer

2. Haggen Foods

4. Zupans

5. Safeway

6. Albertsons

7. Wild Oats Market

8. Whole Foods

9. Trader Joes

10. Lamb'sThirftway

11. Winco Foods

• 9 months later...

So will the one in Altamonte Springs.

Their's also Costco,Sam's Club,BJ's Wearhouse,Aldi,Save A Lot,Wal-mart Neighborhood Market,Supercenter Wal-mart,Big Lots,Dollar Stores,Tuesday Morning and so on.

When Altamonte Springs gets it's Wal-mart Supercenter the old Wal-mart can become a Super Target or Wal-mart Neighborhood Market.

Kc has like Price Chopper,Hen House,Hy-Vee,Aldi,Whole Foods just to name a few. Springfield,Mo is turning into Orlando just Ramey Price Cutter because use to have Albertsons.

• 2 weeks later...

A few reasons:

First, Orlando isn't Portland. Though it is certainly changing, this is still a "vanilla" market. (I say that as a native who loves Orlando and all the progress we've made, but realizes that in a county which voted for Goldwater in 1964 and with a university which was the only one Nixon felt "safe" speaking at as president, we had a long way to go <_< .)

Second, Publix considers this their "home" market. They have always jealously guarded it and will continue to do so. Over the years, just about every major grocery retailer has tried and failed, with the exception of WalMart, to make a foothold. (Albertson's had a good run, almost 35 years, but like most of the others, as publicly held companies, they focused on what Wall St. wanted, not necessarily what was best for the long-term interests of the business. Publix, being closely held and family-controlled, can do what they want and need to, and thus far, the family is still intimately involved with the business.)

Third, Publix reconfigures as required to meet the competition. When Publix' competition was Winn-Dixie, A&P and Pantry Pride, they were much more aggressive in fighting on price. Knowing they can't beat Wal-Mart, DGM and soon Aldi on price (and with the demise of Gooding's at the top of the market), they've set themselves up as the upscale grocer.

Fourth, they are not shy about working the niches. Look for one or more of the Albertson's they purchased to become a Publix GreenWise Market, to compete with Whole Foods. Publix Sabor was started to compete in the heavily Hispanic areas.

Fifth, they just do it better. Every time Consumer Reports rates supermarkets, Publix always ranks in the top 2 or 3 (#1 on occasion) among large-chain stores. Publix almost always ranks among the highest in the annual UM retail customer satisfaction study.

Orlando will continue to grow and we'll see more options, but look for Publix to remain top of the heap hereabouts for a long, long time.

Publix does do it right. Publix Sabor is a very interesting and beautiful store. Publix will open an Organic Greenwise market on Sand Lake road down the street from whole foods. The Dr. Phillips Albertsons is now a Publix so Greenwise is coming. Also Greenwise will open in Winter Park in Hollieana center on Orlando Ave. And sorry to say, when Publix expanded outside of Florida, everyone outside of the state consider Publix the grocery "must have." Atlantans feel that way, Charlotte, etc. And Publix expansion in to downtown markets has happened when no other store has the guts to do it. Orlando has more WalMart Neighborhood Markets per capita because Walmart just doesn't get the loyalty to Publix in this state. Publix ix our grocery store, the Florida store where shopping is a pleasure. Winn Dixie can't seem to get it right,always slow long lines, kind of expensive for the type of store it is. We've been through Floridaq Choice, Kash n Karry, Piggly Wiggfly. Pasntry Pride, Food Fair, Food World, Kwick Check, ExtraAldi is expanding n the market, Save A Lot is expanding, Faiurway Markets were here for quite awhile up until the 80s. There's Save Right by Winn Dixie. We had the upscale local

Goodings Markets that made the decision to close or sell to Winn Dixie except for tourist locations. Whole FoodsThagt other upscale market in Dr, Phillips and Altamonte, the name escapes me. Plus Bravo Markets, Las Americcas and now a stgore out of Miam ii called Sedanos. Target Supercenters and Walmart supercenters and Walmart Neighborhood Mazrkets that have tried to kill Publix but not happening. We non walmart shopping Floridians have always loved our Publix. Service is excellent, they are clean and they can survive in every neighborhood, even 2 miles apart. When I lived in the Midwest for a bit, there wasn;t much to offer in markets either, Krogers, Meijers, Walmart and each city had an upscale market that has closed. In Dayton they had Dorothy Lane Market Canb't think of the name of the store that Toledo loved but closed now. One thing I can say about Orlando is that we probably have more markets per capita than most cities, never seen so many grocery stores, even if they are the superior Publix!

Publix does do it right. Publix Sabor is a very interesting and beautiful store. Publix will open an Organic Greenwise market on Sand Lake road down the street from whole foods. The Dr. Phillips Albertsons is now a Publix so Greenwise is coming. Also Greenwise will open in Winter Park in Hollieana center on Orlando Ave. And sorry to say, when Publix expanded outside of Florida, everyone outside of the state consider Publix the grocery "must have." Atlantans feel that way, Charlotte, etc. And Publix expansion in to downtown markets has happened when no other store has the guts to do it. Orlando has more WalMart Neighborhood Markets per capita because Walmart just doesn't get the loyalty to Publix in this state. Publix ix our grocery store, the Florida store where shopping is a pleasure. Winn Dixie can't seem to get it right,always slow long lines, kind of expensive for the type of store it is. We've been through Floridaq Choice, Kash n Karry, Piggly Wiggfly. Pasntry Pride, Food Fair, Food World, Kwick Check, ExtraAldi is expanding n the market, Save A Lot is expanding, Faiurway Markets were here for quite awhile up until the 80s. There's Save Right by Winn Dixie. We had the upscale local

Goodings Markets that made the decision to close or sell to Winn Dixie except for tourist locations. Whole FoodsThagt other upscale market in Dr, Phillips and Altamonte, the name escapes me. Plus Bravo Markets, Las Americcas and now a stgore out of Miam ii called Sedanos. Target Supercenters and Walmart supercenters and Walmart Neighborhood Mazrkets that have tried to kill Publix but not happening. We non walmart shopping Floridians have always loved our Publix. Service is excellent, they are clean and they can survive in every neighborhood, even 2 miles apart. When I lived in the Midwest for a bit, there wasn;t much to offer in markets either, Krogers, Meijers, Walmart and each city had an upscale market that has closed. In Dayton they had Dorothy Lane Market Canb't think of the name of the store that Toledo loved but closed now. One thing I can say about Orlando is that we probably have more markets per capita than most cities, never seen so many grocery stores, even if they are the superior Publix!

Archived