Where are all the grocery stores in this town?

I lived in Dayton for awhile. Hard to compete with Dorthy lane Market.

No they are not opening a Greenwise in DP. They played with the idea, and with their regular store across the street they feared hurting themselves. Instead they doubled their Greenwise sections at that store. Their lease in the old Albertsons runs out soon and it will be open for ...whoever.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if Sedanos would consider that location in DP, probably not the right demographics. I went to Sedanos at Curry Ford and Semoran last week and found it very interesting and impressive. Unlike Bravo or other latin oriented markets, the prices at Sedanos were actually competitive, they must have great wholesalers. There were tons of brands I'd never seen and reasonable prices and quite interesting items. The store was very busy, much more so than Albertsons was, so they must have a following from South Florida. I like to see the diversity in the grocery scene, but like I've always thought, Orlando is gradually going through a South=floridazation (which is fine with me, I'm a big SoFlo fan, I love the feeling of being in another place in the world whenever I go down there.) Also I saw an add celebrating Publix Sabors 5th or the anniversary in BVL. The rumor has been going around for a couple of years that Publix Sabor is going to open in Lake Fredrica on Semoran. I also heard that due to the economy, the few Publix Greenwise stores haven't been feasible when totally converted to organics. I don't know if they are keeping the Greenwise stores open, they may if they are in the right demographic, I know St. Pete is very in to the health food/organic scene so maybe they will keep the location there. I know with Publix Sabor they are only in a very very strong demographic area and don't expand outside of the areas they are in unless the demographics are met. East Orlando probably could support a Sabor market. But overall I would say that Orlando has a very diverse grocery market scene

Maybe quality makes up for quantity.

I wrote it above. It has nothing to do with competition with other stores and everything to do with killing their own store across the street. Instead of opening a straight Greenwise store they expanded their Greenwise selection at the store across the street. There lease at the old Albertsons runs at the end of 2010, they aren't planning on renewing it. So unless there is a change of heart, the Greenwise isn't happening.

Archived