Greensboro Apple Store

Neo

I had not heard about Apple opening up another location in NC (currently only in Charlotte and Raleigh) until today when reading an article online about a new store coming to Greensboro. Apple doesn't have many brick stores so the one in Greensboro will be somewhat of a rarity.

Here's a link to the article I read online about the store, picture included. It's going in The Shops at Friendly Center.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its great that an Apple is opening up a store in Friendly. It would have been great if Sears moved somewhere else and that building could have been torn down to build an IKEA in its place but Charlotte beat us to it LOL. Anyway its another sign that The Shops at Friendly Center is an upscale retail destination. It already has Brooks Brothers, REI, the world's largest Harris Teeter and restaurants such as PF Changs. The upscale chain restaurant Ruth's Chris Steak House is nearby too.

Its great that an Apple is opening up a store in Friendly. It would have been great if Sears moved somewhere else and that building could have been torn down to build an IKEA in its place but Charlotte beat us to it LOL. Anyway its another sign that The Shops at Friendly Center is an upscale retail destination. It already has Brooks Brothers, REI, the world's largest Harris Teeter and restaurants such as PF Changs. The upscale chain restaurant Ruth's Chris Steak House is nearby too.

This is good news for Greensboro and for NC. I also just saw that Apple has opened a new store in downtown Charleston. They must be expanding into slightly smaller markets now? I think Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point can easily support this store with the income levels in these cities. This is great.

• 5 months later...
I was down in Charlotte when I purchased my new iMac over the Christmas holiday, and an employee I was talking to said the whole notion of Greensboro getting an Apple store was "a rumor." :huh: He must not be a Genius, as Apple claims, since there have been numerous articles about it. Could he be right though? Is there any indication at Friendly that an actual store is going in?

One thing to note. It appears that the Greensboro Apple store will be the largest in the state with almost 6,000 square feet. The Charlotte store is only 4,000 square feet and Durham's is 5,000 square feet. Raleigh also has a smaller store. But to put things into perspective, all the NC stores are small compared to some of the ones in the big cities. New York City for example has a 21,000 square foot store.

But on opening day in Greensboro, expect a VERY VERY long line into the store. That is pretty typical when a new Apple store opens. Also Urban Outfitters will be opening a store near the Greensboro Apple Store.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived