Greensboro Apple Store

Neo

I believe you're correct in your speculation. I don't think Winston will get one unless 1) Hanes cleans up its act and starts to aggressively recruit high-end stores, 2) the Hanes plant retail center comes to fruition, 3) a new mall/lifestyle center is built near the Guilford/Forsyth County (technically it would be in Kernersville or Greensboro then if that were to happen). Even then, it will at least be another 5+ years, in my opinion, before they would start to consider Winston, if ever. I believe Apple's goal is to expand rapidly, but not oversaturate the brand.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read where mac said this store would serve the Triad so im not sure if they will open a second store in the area. Keep in mind the Greensboro Apple store is also the largest in the state and there would have to be great demand for a second store in the Triad. These stores keep track of where their customers are coming from so if a vast amount of customers are coming from Winston-Salem, its possible. But yes Winston really needs to start recruiting high end retail like Greensboro has done. If they can land one high end store, then it will be a chain reaction like in Greensboro. But Greensboro is ahead of the game in this area and its only a matter of time before we see a Nordstrom, Saks 5th Ave or a Neiman Marcus in Greensboro. There are still some years to go before Greensboro gets that big league in retail but Greensboro is already on the path with stores like Brooks Brothers which was the first high end retail chain to enter the Triad.

I dont see high end retail happening at Hanes Mall but its going to take an entirely new development in Forsyth County near high end residential neighborhoods. In fact I thought there was a lifestyle shopping village under development for Winston-Salem. The high paying employment numbers in Winston-Salem suggests the Twin City can support such stores. If a mac store does come to Winston-Salem at some point in the future, I expect there will be a push to build a store in downtown Winston-Salem where there is a hightech focus (PTRP). Then it would be touted as the only downtown mac store in the state.

I think Winston could very likely see a store soon. They got it at Friendly because it is a new shopping center that is attractive but Hanes Mall has a much larger consumer base and reaches further distances than Friendly definitely. Yeah there are some nice stores at Friendly but there are many in Hanes that aren't even in Greensboro.

Stores try out the area all the time before serving both cities. But I find it hard to believe that Greensboro would ever see a Neiman Marcus....it is the highest of department stores. I could see a Saks and/or Nordstrom soon in the area....but they will be located either in the middle of Winston and Greensboro in a new development or in Friendly or Downtown area of Winston/stratford

Archived