New courthouse in Torrington

The Voice of Reason

http://www.rep-am.com/News/356992.txt

New courthouse could remake Torrington neighborhood

BY CHRIS PARKER REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN TORRINGTON -- The reality that a new Litchfield County Courthouse will be coming to Field Street has property owners and neighborhood residents pondering the possibility of higher rents and property values, and perhaps a rush of interest from interested attorneys, restaurants and other businesses nearby.

The state Department of Public Works announced Tuesday it had finalized the terms of a purchase and sale agreement to acquire part of the company's 59 Field St. property for a planned 160,000-square-foot courthouse. The news culminated a decade of debate over where to locate the new courthouse.

Neighbors and property owners will have to wait to find out. Construction is not expected before 2009, with a completion date of 2011

Its is strange location, but I have never see it in person so I may be wrong. from what I hear Torrington is much like Willimantic, and nay new development that brings more jobs is good for business.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new (well, it's a few years old technically) courthouse in Danielson is in a residential neighborhood, a couple of blocks off Main Street. It's not helping the downtown area much, and the area directly around it is still mostly older multi family housing.

The location is a bit removed from the core of downtown, but the city does see having the courthouse in Torrington is better than having it in Litchfield which is the other location being considered. The owner of the property is the old Torrington Company and they are anxious to have that area which is on the edge of the downtown area, it is hopeful that it will spark development. Personally I would have rather seen it in a more prominent location but the state has generally shyed away from this in recent years. Jay

Archived