CONSTRUCTION THREAD: The Bookends Phase II

RestedTraveler

I drove by the site a week ago too and it has changed a good bit since then. There is a lot more equipment on site now. It was dark when I drove by earlier tonight, but i'll drive by tomorrow during the day and take some pics and see if there are any pavers or anything like that on site to give us a hint of what it might be for. There was also a name of a construction company on the construction trailer, but I couldn't tell what company it was. I don't think it would be Spring St. improvements though, because they wouldn't need a construction trailer just to pave a road, would they? :unsure:

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fairly certain that the lot at Washington & Falls is being used as an equipment staging area for the downtown sewer/stormwater upgrade project the City just started. The 2/2 Greenville News article said it was expected to take 6 months, but I've heard 7-9 (which probably means a year). Sections of Falls, Spring and Broad Streets will be closed at various times over the course of the project, which they expect to include blasting in some areas. http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....D=2007702020331.

I've seen posts on this site that some of this work is associated with construction of the Peacock, but as far as I know, it's all part of a City project to increase downtown sewer and drainage capacity that's been in the works for some time. The Peacock would benefit from it, of course, but I don't think the two are directly connected.

• 3 months later...

I can't find the Bookends thread anywhere!!!

So I'll post here. Sone might want to look in to the ineveitablility of it, I am hearing rumblings.......

You know, btoy, I don't believe we ever had a CONSTRUCTION THREAD for the bookends...it was kinda finished before we really got this forum on fire the way it is...same goes for Poinsett Corners. We should probably start one, eh?

What kind of rumblings? That it's getting ready to start, I presume?

The fact that the links on the website are no longer there (ie. the floorplan links, email link to CB Caine, etc) and the site says "We continue to move forward with logistics & planning for this exciting project" leads me to believe that this project has stalled

The fact that the links on the website are no longer there (ie. the floorplan links, email link to CB Caine, etc) and the site says "We continue to move forward with logistics & planning for this exciting project" leads me to believe that this project has stalled

If I've got a poor memory, forgive me - it's the nature of the work I do, but...I didn't think there had been any floorplan links on the Washington, yet? It was my understanding that the floorplans had not yet been determined, but that they were going to be different from those on the McBee side? Also, there's still a form there to be filled in for more information.

• 4 weeks later...

Do we not have a Bookends thread?? Well, it doesn't matter for phase two, YET. They've put the project on hold due to construction costs. Unlike other projects where this may have caused them to scale down, the article in The Greenville News says that it may be taller. All to get the numbers to work correctly and get the price down and attractive. Hmmm, this could be interesting.

I read the article, too, and it really didn't say anything about the project being on hold except for the headline. It surprises me that the News would run an article like this when there are other projects (Pinnacle on Main, etc.) that have effectively been on hold for at least a year. Pinnacle had the groundbreaking and then, months later, nothing.

They could make the bookends another 4 or 5 stories taller and it would give the current structure a unique architectural appeal if done correctly.

I agree. This is a cool opportunity, I think. As long as the garage side of the building is not just plain concrete, this could turn out to be Greenville's first "sliver" highrise. Maybe someone has figured out that the higher you go, the more affordable your product can possibly be in the end... Not that this will by any means be "affordable".

I was surprised that the other side of the building had 30 units. I never realized it was that big...

• 1 year later...

What about Bookends Phase 2? I know it was put on hold about 1-2 years ago, but didn't they still have a time frame in which to start it?

Yea, I was thinking that the City had a timetable on the developer to start it. The last we heard was that it maybe have to be shorter than originally proposed due to feasibility... All I ask is that they cover the bare concrete wall of the parking garage. It doesn't have to be any taller than that, but anything shorter has the potential to be an aesthetic disaster.

Yea, I was thinking that the City had a timetable on the developer to start it. The last we heard was that it maybe have to be shorter than originally proposed due to feasibility... All I ask is that they cover the bare concrete wall of the parking garage. It doesn't have to be any taller than that, but anything shorter has the potential to be an aesthetic disaster.

There is a Bookends thread somewhere. I thought I remembered btoy or someone saying it was on hold.

There is a Bookends thread somewhere. I thought I remembered btoy or someone saying it was on hold.

I'm stumped on this one. I thought there was a thread too. I'm guessing that since it was about 2 years ago when this was put on hold, it may have predated the tradition of dedicated threads. Before the Greenville forum was this active, we discussed most projects in the Greenville developments thread. I'll work on creating a thread for the Bookends.

Ok, after much anticipation, we now have an official bookends thread. Most of these posts came from the Greenville Developments thread that I linked to in my previous post. Its kind of amusing reading back through these posts because you'll notice that there is a common theme of "hey where is the bookends thread?" ;)

You know...that's a prime location for some giant-sized graffiti! Kidding, kidding...but yeah, I've been wondering about the second half of that for a while now. If they can't build the second "bookend" they could at least throw some bricks on that wall. I love looking at that big, gray wall, but it's about time to move on!

I think we had also heard at one time it could be taller in order to meet feasability specs? :silly:

As far as height is concerned, one good thing it has going for it is that the site seems to sit at least 15 ft higher than it's counterpart on the other side. Perhaps that will help if it has to have fewer levels, or make it higher if it ends up being the same. I would actually like to see bookends have two different heights, we could use a little bit of a "stepping up" effect in this area.

Archived