CONSTRUCTION THREAD: The Bookends Phase II

RestedTraveler

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I'll reserve judgement for the color renderings, but this seems really 'blockish' to me. The rooftop pool looks really small too.

And why NO balconys?? That doesn't make much sense to me.

I agree that I wish they had balconies. That additional play on the facade could potentially add a lot. Otherwise, it's not bad, IMO, from what I can tell.

Is that actually a pool that you all are seeing?

Yes, that's what the applicaton says. "One floor of retail with 6 floors of rental apartments above".

This should definitely help with alleviating the extremely long wait list for McBee Station, AND help the city sell more parking spaces. :thumbsup: Between this and ONE, Washington Street is going to be experiencing almost as much change as Main Street is currently seeing.

I like this a lot. We'll get more ground-level retail (which will be even more desirable with ONE being across the street) with SIX floors of apartments above! YES! :thumbsup:

I do not anticipate this project taking long to get started. These apartments will fill very quickly. I imagine the retail portion on the first floor will be popular as well.

Gville News had major article on Waqshington Street, mentioning this project as well as plans for eventual expansion at the Catholic Church.

Clear Talk Cellular will put a retail store and call center at the corner of Hudson and Washington.

Also, it mentioned the city may provide some upgrades to the amtrack station in return for additional service from Amtrack.

Also, it mentioned the city may provide some upgrades to the amtrack station in return for additional service from Amtrack.

The additional train service was the most intriguing aspect of that article! Furthermore, it's great to see a road diet working towards redevelopment and providing cyclists an East-West axis!

Side note: If I can win the lottery, I'd like to announce my plans to redevelop the City's Irvine Street surface parking lot that lies between the bookends and the current Federal Courthouse. Hands off! :camera:

Look for the design to be better than the McBee side.

After looking at the drawing, I disagree completely. Phase two will be great for Washington Street and will add population density to the core of downtown, but in my opinion it is not nearly as physically attracive as the first phase.

Side note: If I can win the lottery, I'd like to announce my plans to redevelop the City's Irvine Street surface parking lot that lies between the bookends and the current Federal Courthouse. Hands off! :camera:

Sounds good. I'll take either the Calvin Street area or the NorthEnd/Stone Avenue area and create an urban, village-style district with unique and high quality architectural design.

This morning's Greenville News said this project would be completed in 2012. Anyone want to bet? LOL.

Are you saying it's not going to be? Did you forget who the developer of this project is? Take a look at my previous post in this thread if you did. ;) Definitely not Bob Ellis or Mark Kent in this case thank goodness. :thumbsup: I understand why you and others would have reservations regarding downtown projects though due to past experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived