Audubon Alive

dan326

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what Richy I agree with that quote 100%. I really don't believe that with them included the bond issue will pass. I would propose letting them have there own separate bond issue to improve infrastructure and so on, and letting the rest of EBR vote on this "Alive" attraction.

I can understand both sides...it's just frustrating! EBR really should not be so divided...but I thought Mayor Holden was simply giving them what they wanted?? I do realize the poor public school options have been a main reason for this. Might a public/private partnership work better for the $270million Alive??

Someone from BusinessReport said it best on this topic...Posted by BatonRougeMyHome

"I would ask...why is it that, "the Mayor and Mr. Monsour have elected to divide rather than unite"? Is it not the excluded cities (through incorporation) that were the ones who asked to ultimately be divided? These cities wanted control of their own destinies, correct? As a citizen of Baton Rouge, I do not have a voice in how they run their local governments. So why is it that it's okay for them to decide on things for themselves without my input, but when they don't like or agree with something for Baton Rouge, that they should then be able to give input?

The article & thread from BusinessReport's JR Ball

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2009/au...ame/?columnists

From looking at the rendering(Post#5) & Dan's drawing(Post#12)...Alive should have a iconic design and have a significant impact along the riverfront; thus contributing to the urban-core/skyline..JMO

What alot of people dont realize iz...New York, LA, Ect. they make most of their money of Entertainment....Yes...it costs to build....but the money gets pumped back into the city... Blue Bayou is doing Ok...but think of how much money would be pumped into this city if a Major Chain Theme Park came to BR...Hotels,Food,attractions,Gas,Shopping... it all pans it self out...Now u have extra money to kick out for schools,Traffic,Drainage n stuff like that....thats like throwing a party...u invest money into getting the best venue and artist to preform....get a big crowd ,pay it off and double your money

Downtown is a Perfect Location Right now....its the Heart of the city from All directions..3rd street is gettin Hot as we speak.. ..id give it 2 years and many Hotels & Restaurants Major Chains And Private Owned will be needed in the downtown area if it keeps growning like it is...I can See a Hooters on the corner of one of the streets.....(picture it for a little weekend trip ) ....Blue Bayou Friday.... Saturday go to Alive...Saturday night teens and Night life Adults hang out in the downtown area (3rd st & whatever grows).......and the passing of the Open Container law would be great

• 1 month later...

Im very worried about this guys....

I ran into Jamie Griffin last thursday, one of the organizers of "Progress is." To say the least, we were both drunk, and got into a huge debate about the bond proposal. He kept stating that it's going to pass, but I dont see anything changing in the minds of the ignorant uninformed public. With this recent news, people are getting even more turned off to the idea, and now the Baton Rouge Tea Party :wacko: plans to start canvasing neighborhoods trashing the idea all together with half made up and skewed facts(they must be sleeping with the Spanish Town Civic Association)

A recent poll by the Business Report didn't look favorable either. I believe over 50% of respondents were going to vote against the package.

How do y'all feel, and what should we do to see this thing pass?

Im very worried about this guys....

I ran into Jamie Griffin last thursday, one of the organizers of "Progress is." To say the least, we were both drunk, and got into a huge debate about the bond proposal. He kept stating that it's going to pass, but I dont see anything changing in the minds of the ignorant uninformed public. With this recent news, people are getting even more turned off to the idea, and now the Baton Rouge Tea Party :wacko: plans to start canvasing neighborhoods trashing the idea all together with half made up and skewed facts(they must be sleeping with the Spanish Town Civic Association)

A recent poll by the Business Report didn't look favorable either. I believe over 50% of respondents were going to vote against the package.

How do y'all feel, and what should we do to see this thing pass?

Tax foes draw interest

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/63013477.html

CENTRAL — A town-hall meeting called by the Baton Rouge Tea Party to discuss Mayor-President Kip Holden’s plans for a $901 million bond issue drew about 100 people to a reception hall here Wednesday.

Those attending made it clear they don’t like the mayor’s bond proposal, particularly the $225 million Alive riverfront attraction component.

The bond issue is scheduled to go before voters Nov. 14. But some Metro Council members are discussing pulling it off the fall ballot so it can be reworked and presented to voters in the spring.

They say land ownership and funding issues relating to Alive need to be firmed up before presenting the tax package to voters.

Although not yet formally set, three council members have requested a special meeting be held Oct. 12 to discuss the issue of postponing the election until spring.

Dwight Hudson, the Tea Party group’s legislative action chairman, said he is pleased the council is considering delaying the vote.

“I think it’s justified because the council members didn’t have all the information they should have had when they voted to put it on the ballot,” Hudson said prior to the meeting.

But he said the Tea Party group plans to continue organizing a grass roots campaign against the tax, in case it does go forward Nov. 14.

“We’re not slowing down at all,” Hudson said.

The tax package, like the one that narrowly failed last year, consists of a half-cent sales tax increase and a 9.9-mill property tax. If approved, the taxes would fund drainage system improvements, a new public safety complex and Parish Prison, traffic light synchronization, riverfront development and other projects, including Alive.

Alive, an entertainment and education venue, would be operated by the Audubon Nature Institute, which runs the zoo, aquarium, insectarium and other venues in New Orleans.

see full article : http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/63013477.html

Archived