Daniel Payne development?

bhamsly

I am just starting this just to gather thoughts about the Daniel Payne area of the city. Will it become a hot-bed for retail and residential development when I-22 opens? Do you think heavy industries will be the highlight of the area? How about a research park or office park? Could it be a new city within a city development? Any thoughts?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a good question, Sly. A large chunk of the area is now residential with Westchester development that has just wrapped up it most recent phase in past 18 months. However, the area south of Daniel Payne itself is probably going to remain residental or institutional as many abandoned buildings of the former Daniel Payne College still lie out there. But it will probably be a combination of more residential and light commercial.

• 9 months later...

Although I know some of you guys may have heard about the Daniel Payne Towne Center development, well apparently the City Council has just approved the creation of a capital improvement cooperative district on Tuesday. A captial improvement cooperative district would be like a mini-government for the area with ability to levy taxes and issue bonds for itself.

Daniel Payne Town Center is proposed to have 600,000 square feet of retail space, 550,000 square feet of office, an 800-room resort hotel and golf course, a 150,000-square-foot indoor water park, a 10 million-gallon aquarium and 350 single-family residences on 1,500 acres off Coalburg Road in the northern portion of Birmingham. It would be developed by Genesis Development Corp owned by John A. Richard, and private investment is being provided by Development Capital International of Chicago.

Although I know some of you guys may have heard about the Daniel Payne Towne Center development, well apparently the City Council has just approved the creation of a capital improvement cooperative district on Tuesday. A captial improvement cooperative district would be like a mini-government for the area with ability to levy taxes and issue bonds for itself.

Daniel Payne Town Center is proposed to have 600,000 square feet of retail space, 550,000 square feet of office, an 800-room resort hotel and golf course, a 150,000-square-foot indoor water park, a 10 million-gallon aquarium and 350 single-family residences on 1,500 acres off Coalburg Road in the northern portion of Birmingham. It would be developed by Genesis Development Corp owned by John A. Richard, and private investment is being provided by Development Capital International of Chicago.

I don't know. It doesn't seem to matter how long the idea has been floating around... everyone else just beat us to it. Still seems we are just copying the latest fad. I'm sure the project will be a success and it is certainly promising to hear somebody has interest in investing in Birmingham.

Archived