video games over the last 30 years

cityboi

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's fascinating that video games are slowly becoming a new medium for true storytelling, just as motion pictures developed from cheesy entertainment into serious after a few decades. The most recent Grand Theft Auto installment is seriously political in nature, and in between scenes of total carnage there's a coherent and compelling storyline to follow -- better than most Hollywood products.

I have a college friend whose hobby is writing reviews for an online gaming magazine, and his vision is to push gaming criticism into the realm of academics in imitation of literary criticism. It'll be very interesting to see where all this is headed... perhaps we're witnessing the birth of a new art form.

The two games that really stuck out for me growing up in the 80s were Dragon's Lair and Thayer's Quest. These were games truly ahead of its time. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford them so I hung out with friends who had them. The plots were still simple and read like a story from a Saturday morning cartoon and the graphics were stunning.

I've never actually had the chance to own an NES--I wasn't even born for most of the time it was on the market (so-to-speak), but I've always been a huge fan of Nintendo. I still have my SNES.

There are a lot of good games for SNES, and some have stories that could rival, IMO, some of the greatest movies and even literature--like Final Fantasy IV (marketed at the time as FFII), Final Fantasy VI (marketed as FFIII), and Secret of Mana (which I am, in fact, playing as we speak).

I could easily see video games becoming a new art form and mainstream form of entertainment (IMO, the Wii has really helped make video games more universally appealling).

I first played Sim City on a C-64 and it was in black and white. Not because of my monitor, because back then we plugged into the TV. I have been obsessed with this stuff since then.

I never had nintendo because its not my style. I have always liked games that were more cerebral.... like Lemonaid stand for the Vic-20

yeah before floppy disks. back when you needed the cassette drive to load games. haha lemonaid stand rocked!!! but more seriously the games I loved as a kid were M.U.L.E. , Earth Orbit Stations and many more.

in the arcade I loved all of the classics. The first time I played pacman there was a line over 20 deep to try it out. I kid you not. My dad had to hold me up high enough to play. I am not sure why I remember this so clearly but I do

as games evolved I like

Karate Champ, Spy Hunter, and later on Ikari Warriors.

now a days If I am in a Jillians or Dave and Buster (maybe ever other year) I will usually grab a tall beer and play Jurasic park or some other sit down shooter game. them nove over to a driving game. its easier to play the sitting games when you are drinking :P

No game is/was as awesome as World of Warcraft. :silly:

You know I used to play the heck out of video games, from Atari (Pong, Berserk, etc) to Nintendo, Sega, etc. I never owned a Playstation though. As game systems progressed my parents stopped buying them because they were just too expensive for us. But nowadays, as an adult and PC owner, I have over the past 2 years discovered a new type of game: MMORPG. RPG games were always fun, but when you add other players from around the world, it definitely creates a new dynamic. You get immersed in this fantasy world, and I must admit that it becomes quite addicting and fun.

You are too much for me Warcraft, you sonofawh*reson b**ch! I wish I knew how to quit you. /Brokeback

• 2 weeks later...

oh man, great thread! i remember getting my nes for christmas. i was soooo happy. the minute we popped in duck hunt/super mario bros. i was hooked. i still have the box with all the packaging that came with the nes too! a buddy of mine who had older siblings had an atari that we used to play all the time. come to think about it, he still has his as well. i'm sensing an old school arcade night........

Archived