Google Street View

canetoad

Sorry if I missed this announcement elsewhere in the fora, but Google Street View has gone live for GR! I don't know when it happened - I usually keep up on this stuff - but I just found out about it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...ddr&layer=c

Cool! It looks like the car hit much of GR maybe early on a Saturday morning, though. Not much activity on most of the major streets. Still, it's nice to be on the map (so to speak).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry if I missed this announcement elsewhere in the fora, but Google Street View has gone live for GR! I don't know when it happened - I usually keep up on this stuff - but I just found out about it.

Cool! It looks like the car hit much of GR maybe early on a Saturday morning, though. Not much activity on most of the major streets. Still, it's nice to be on the map (so to speak).

very cool. must be at least a few weeks old as purple east still has their gate on the parking lot.

actually really old b/c the 240 ionia sign is still up!

maybe last fall. Loose Leaf lofts isnt painted yet!

Check out the gas prices on Wealthy/Division!! $2.89!

I remember seeing a vehicle driving down my street with a big pole harnessed to the top of it some time ago. It must have been taking pictures because the street view of my house has me on the front sidewalk staring at it.

You can see motorcycles lined up in front of Common Ground as you head East on Fulton - That's definitely a Sunday morning. What's funny is that they disappear when you get closer to them! In light of some other neighborhood clues, I'm guessing last fall sometime too. Sept/Oct. It's pretty cool!

*fish

At first glance, this was cool. However, it then started to become a little creepy. I am not sure how I feel having that kind of access in to my neighborhood so available to anyone.

Plus, there is no way for you to remove your address from streetview. So, if you are a person who enjoys your privacy or has reasons why your address should be removed, and would rather not have your front door broadcasted to the masses, you are out of luck.

That is pretty ridiculous, IMO.

Well I took a look. I know exactly when it was. I work at a certian place and have certian marketing things going on. It was the 4th week of a month. That month had to of been September if I am not mistaken. I know we went onto another promotion then another another that lasted forever it seems. In anycase thats my best guess. BTW the time of the picture was right around 9AM I am guessing.

It's great to see GR up on Google Streetview. From my quick browsing, it looks like images were compiled from several weeks or months of shooting (green trees, colorful trees, bare trees). It sure seems like it would take a while to drive all of the city's streets. Perhaps those of you who have found yourselves once will be able to find a clone somewhere else in town!

Also, does it seem like they've begun to blur people/objects in order to maintain some privacy? I remember stories like this popping up when Streetview was first introduced.

I appreciate the comments, both the sarcastic ones and genuine ones.

I actually do live on a cul de sac. It went down my street. I am not sure why it did not go down yours.

Second, a gated community?! Really? Never would have thought of that one. My issue is that I should have the choice to remove my house. Especially when there are good reasons other than that I am doing something I should not be doing. Don't just make the assumption that people are being stuffy for the sake of principle. In our case, we have very good reasons why this is not a good thing for our family.

But again, I appreciate the comments. :thumbsup:

Unless you're in witness protection or something, I don't think it's a huge privacy violation. Primarily because there's no effective way to "search" the photos. Despite some of the funny photos of people peeing in public, or the girls flashing Google's car, you can't exactly look for specific things unless you already know the address. It's really not much different than if you just drove up and down the street.

For example, supposing you were in witness protection, how would somebody go about finding you? They could scan through every Street View photo on Google, and if they got really lucky you might just appear in a photo. Chances are, however, that you'd be indoors at the time. It really just seems like a non-issue to me.

My thoughts exactly!

I thought Google chose to remove the extreme zoomed-in level of their satellite imagery some time back, but live.com are happy to peer down your chimney. I feel if it's a view you could have by standing on public property there shouldn't be any problem with it. Are they going to remove some apartments from a block and not others? :)

I can't imagine that Douglas County, NE is the only place that they've put together a system like this. Is that too invasive, or is this just public information that should be available to everyone? The one difference is that we were always instructed not to have people in the photographs, and with Google's method there's no real way to do this.

Archived