Green Grand Rapids

avanelsacker

Grand Rapids is participating in Park(ing) Day this year! The event will be held on Friday, September 19th. For more information on Park(ing) Day, visit www.parkingday.org !

Park(ing) Day is an event that invites you to rethink the way streets are used, consider the need for urban parks, reclaim the streets for bikes and people, and expand the public realm by creating new opportunities for social exchange!

It is a one day, global event where citizens, activists, organizations....anyone, collaborate to temporarily transform parking spots around the city into "Park(ing) Spaces"... meaning temporary park like green space for everyone to enjoy.

Creating a "Park(ing) Space" not only represents an opportunity to be part of a unique global event, but also a way to make a creative statement about your vision for the Urban streetscape....plus it sounds like alot of fun!

To get involved or find out more information about Grand Rapids Park(ing) Day, contact Amy at the City Planning Department!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It's sod.

When I was down there Urban Pharm was by far the most exciting location. They were grilling and giving away free shirts. I rode by most of the locations and stopped at a few, but most of them only had a couple of people, some friendly and some not so friendly. I was surprised that both times I rode by the spot with a pool table that there wasn't anyone there.

Almost everyone I've talked to about this has had no clue that it was happening and while I was sitting at some of the spots plenty of people were asking what was going on. The media coverage and advertising prior to this could have been better.

We had a great time at our "Parkitecture" art garden! We'll definitely be back next year. Even though we were a little off the main path, there were lots of friendly folks stopping by -- even Mr. Mayor. Ryan, Jeff, Andy, Amy -- good to see you. The Herman Miller park was very impressive! But even they can't beat our budget total: $10 registration + 1 box of wood screws + elbow grease + (how ironic) the parking ramp fee for our vehicle. :)

2871541778_4cc0bb7fb8_b.jpg

2871540612_f052f954de_b.jpg

2871542772_a391199863_b.jpg

2871543952_ae86ae08ba_b.jpg

2871539584_5142310a30_b.jpg

2870711041_b21f3eee79_b.jpg

2870712337_f42dfe956c_b.jpg

2871541188_44acd80dd7_b.jpg

2870714171_17fb993359_b.jpg

2871545778_7690fd4004_b.jpg

2871546282_dfdfb88340_b.jpg

2870715581_e300ef5744_b.jpg

We had a great time at our "Parkitecture" art garden! We'll definitely be back next year. Even though we were a little off the main path, there were lots of friendly folks stopping by -- even Mr. Mayor. Ryan, Jeff, Andy, Amy -- good to see you. The Herman Miller park was very impressive! But even they can't beat our budget total: $10 registration + 1 box of wood screws + elbow grease + (how ironic) the parking ramp fee for our vehicle. :)

Hey, that's me!

I have to say, although I had reservations about an event that co-opted a grassroots protest for green space into a more institutionalized practice, this was a really fun and informative day. I'd love to see more "ordinary folks" take part next year, instead of just businesses, but the businesses that participated this year did a great job. I heard that Habitat for Humanity was going around at the end of the day and collecting extra sod and other materials, so it sounds like little went to waste. Very cool!

Archived