The Southside

andremurra

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 260 plot would be a perfect location for a mixed-use development. A development of such would push Statesboro to new levels.

Have it divided up into a business/office district, housing district, student housing district, small parks/green areas, and a lifestyle center-type development. Maybe even go as far as making it a 'green' development, with most of it LEED certified.

Just a thought about the one project I wish Statesboro would tackle.

This would be an excellent time for people to start searching google typing in words like "Lanier Drive" "260" "Statesboro" "Retail" etc. Morgan seems to be good at this - Im thinking that if they are really negotiating contracts, there should be some kind of market area profile advertisement online or something. They are usually impossible to find, but we can do it!!

• 3 weeks later...

I heard some of the discussion of the possible new 260 acre development. It's interesting that the argument for increasing density for an apartment development is a possible adjacent development in the planning stages with no approval from the city. During his comments, it sounded as if it was a done deal, which it is not. I'm not saying it would be a bad thing, but is a perfect example of the city's unplanned growth. It could be an opportunity for something innovative, but I won't hold my breath. Until the city requires or even encourages innovative site planning, I doubt it is going to happen.

On a related note, the city is working on its new comprehensive plan to guide future growth and development. I know the staff has very little guidance with planning and zoning issues and the elected officials seem to use the lack of a plan to their advantage. If you are interested, go to the city's website www.statesboroga.net and click on the Comprehensive Plan link near the bottom.

• 1 year later...

Today groundbreaking took place for a large new addition to Hackers golf park at Old Register Road and Veterans Memorial Parkway. Called "The Clubhouse", the new 42,000 sf 'family fun center' will provide 24 lanes of bowling, 4 lanes of private bowling, mini-bowling, arcade/redemption center, a 3,000 sf laser tag area, shuffleboard, 'Ballocity' play area, party rooms, corporate meeting rooms, and a 160-seat restaurant. The center will add approximately 120 jobs to Statesboro directly.

Located across from Georgia Southern and on the Country Club side of town, the center will also provide more amenities for business tourism - a golf center with corporate meeting rooms down the parkway from several hotels. Located almost opposite of the Water Park (on Northeast side of town), they wont be very convenient to one another, so it would probably be safe to assume that the center would do better in the fall and spring when Splash in the Boro is closed. This will add to the quality of life factor for families raising children around Statesboro. It is just another of many entertainment amenities for Statesboro - the list keeps getting longer.

Here is a rendering link: WThe_Clubhouse_Revised_copy.jpg

Archived