August 2nd Visit

Eridony

It was technically two buildings. Carnegie Library and old Ann Arbor High school. Once U of M took over, the whole "complex" was named "Henry Frieze Building"

It was a hodgepodge of outcast programs that the university had no place to put. These programs later moved across the street to that brand new white and green modern structure. My sister was an english/film major and the whole film department was located in the Frieze. Beautiful on the outside, but the interior was as ugly and dumpy as you can get. I wish the front colonnade was saved, like the Carnegie. It think it would have looked nice on that lower building, forming a stately looking street wall.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, I've been up at UM's BioStation for the past two months and while it's nice up here, I'm dying to get home. Thank you for all the pictures... they're reminding me what I get to look forward to in about a week! Looks like a LOT of work has been done while I've been out of town!

Foobar: Thanks for the info about the library

cnordstrom: Where is the Biostation located? There is a lot of construction going on in Ann Arbor. There is this view you get of downtown AA when you come around this curve on M15 (I think that's the right highway) and when I saw it a couple of weeks ago half of the skyline seemed to be tower cranes and steel skeletons sticking up over the trees. It was a cool sight that I wish I could have photographed.

More pictures:

2753311696_d757676d45_b.jpg

The Dental School I think:

2753311830_8b0324fde6_b.jpg

Another building I already posted, but I took so many pictures of it I have to show more than just one:

2753311976_8efac057c2_b.jpg

Ingalls Mall:

2752478475_ef9c179b44_b.jpg

The Michigan League:

2753312398_65640f5d60_b.jpg

Chemistry:

2753145569_7e0c73d2b8_b.jpg

Another shot of the Hill Auditorium:

2753146007_4bc893bfb2_b.jpg

More State Street shots:

2754001630_dee0f7f7a1_b.jpg

2753203165_b6e4ae6d18_b.jpg

That's probably enough for one post. More to come later.

Some more.

I walked past this place with the little sign that didn't even indicate the type of business. Later on I found out what it was so it makes sense to me now.

2754035128_7b2ea48d5f_b.jpg

I was surprised to see this shop. All of you here who attended, or still attend, U of M probably know this already but just in case you don't I'll tell it anyway. There was another record store in East Lansing that was named the Grand Wazoo. It closed in 2005 after 31 years in business. So I was surprised to see another record store named Wazoo. I talked to the guy working there and he confirmed they were both started by the same man who sold the two stores to different people in the 80s.

2754035500_59b8547d74_b.jpg

2753204587_51494b71b9_b.jpg

After my last visit to Ann Arbor I mentioned I was a beer snob in one of my Flickr pictures and someone recommended a bar named Ashley's to me. Well I found the bar, but I didn't go in because I think if I went in at that point (after walking for 6 hours) I would never be motivated to leave the bar to take more pictures. So maybe I'll go in on my next visit.

2753203375_f74fa8a4cf_b.jpg

I could write several paragraphs to explain how cool I thought the Nickels Arcade was, but I'm sure everyone here already knows that so I won't.

2754076640_39d714bc24_b.jpg

2754076886_43dc8a3756_b.jpg

2753246487_d891da7d36_b.jpg

I'm not a big fan of your monolith. I don't think I'd mind it if there were other large buildings new it, but it really sticks out with two and three story buildings for neighbors.

2754046329_087a7c2036_b.jpg

2754877506_a43a239857_b.jpg

2754046719_e9bdbf6cb3_b.jpg

It's a bummer they haven't filled the commercial space for Liberty Lofts yet. I keep hoping one of the specialty grocery stores on Stadium will move in. (By my count, there's now 3.)

The train tracks are still in use, at least once a day. (Usually circa 3 am, but you get used to it very quickly). There's some talk about building WALLY and eventually extending it into town, which would require using these tracks.

http://www.ewashtenaw.org/government/depar...lly/wally_index

Thanks for continuing with the pictures!

Wow, great photo spread eridony! So many pictures, so many questions/comments. :)

) First, I can't believe Google chose that ugly 80's office building for their offices

) Yes, Hobbs+Black is an architecture firm. My brother worked there shortly after getting his degree in the mid-90's. The interior is beautifully redone, and the place is completely open from the cathedral ceiling to the lower floors. You can see pictures at their website: http://www.hobbs-black.com/ They did a number of brick buildings in A2, which earned them the nicknake "Gobbs of Brick".

) I've been to Grizzly Peak a few times. Their beer is...eh.. OK.

Keep em coming. I love seeing other cities at the "micro" level.

It's a bummer they haven't filled the commercial space for Liberty Lofts yet. I keep hoping one of the specialty grocery stores on Stadium will move in. (By my count, there's now 3.)

The train tracks are still in use, at least once a day. (Usually circa 3 am, but you get used to it very quickly). There's some talk about building WALLY and eventually extending it into town, which would require using these tracks.

http://www.ewashtenaw.org/government/depar...lly/wally_index

Thanks for continuing with the pictures!

<< Wally is what they are calling the commuter line now? I wondered where that would go through downtown. I had followed the news on that through this forum but since I didn't know the area at the time place names were pretty much meaningless. Do they have possible sites for the station chosen? >>

The main station is planned east of Barton Drive and between the railroad and Plymouth Road. This is the southern terminus of the proposed Howell - AA line.

Separate from that discussion is a proposed extension into downtown AA.

The report indicates three sites are under consideration.

A platform above Washington Street.

William Street and 1st. (There's a parking lot on the NE side.)

Hoover Ave, near Michigan Stadium.

Then it goes on to talk about alternate sites for the William Street site that could fit the whole train. They mention the old train station (now a daycare) between William and Ashley and the possibility of closing off a street.

There's also been talk in the paper about AA buying some or all of the Fingerle lot. The Fingerle folks are (sadly) entertaining offers for their property, according the AA News. In the neighborhood of $21 million.

The main issues seems to be with winter ice and snow, which site would provide best access to the downtown, which is uphill from the rail line.

I've heard "big visions" for the Washington Street station. It wouldn't be anything nondescript. Seriously like some gothic design train station. Word of mouth, but still something to get excited about.

There was an article recently on the wall in this photo:

2757393082_9573f3dab6_b.jpg

Police are trying to figure out who vandalized the wall by putting up white paint. As you can see, thee was a mural and graffiti beneath it.

The main station is planned east of Barton Drive and between the railroad and Plymouth Road. This is the southern terminus of the proposed Howell - AA line.

Separate from that discussion is a proposed extension into downtown AA.

The report indicates three sites are under consideration.

A platform above Washington Street.

William Street and 1st. (There's a parking lot on the NE side.)

Hoover Ave, near Michigan Stadium.

Then it goes on to talk about alternate sites for the William Street site that could fit the whole train. They mention the old train station (now a daycare) between William and Ashley and the possibility of closing off a street.

There's also been talk in the paper about AA buying some or all of the Fingerle lot. The Fingerle folks are (sadly) entertaining offers for their property, according the AA News. In the neighborhood of $21 million.

The main issues seems to be with winter ice and snow, which site would provide best access to the downtown, which is uphill from the rail line.

Great photos!

I love the Law Quad too. I tried studying in the library there once but the smallest sounds echo through that great hall like crazy. A sneeze sounds like a train collision, and everyone all turns around lol. Those couple of fraternity houses are in an oddball location considering fraternity row is mostly along Washtenaw Ave on the East side of campus. There's also a bunch of sororities along Hill Street. But they aren't owned by the university.

Regarding the proposed WALLY line, downtown isn't in the intial plan because the railroad that runs the bit through downtown isn't interested. They are talking about a bus link to downtown and campus.

The consultant report suggests AA Railroad isn't interested primarily because they are afraid that a derailment over the Huron River would bankrupt the company. The consultants suggest this could be worked around if the city assumes the liability (either by leasing the line and assuming responsibility or by buying the line and then leasing it back to the railroad).

All that said, I think Ann Arbor would benefit significantly with a downtown station, a link to Howell, a link to Ypsi/Metro/Detroit, and (not that I've seen any talk of this), a link to Chelsea and a link to Toledo. Just a pipe dream for now, but it's all possible with existing rail lines. (Metro would require a bus link to a station in Van Buren Township.)

It looks like you did make it over close to South U and even past the Zaragon Pl construction project. Great shots!

The inside of Martha Cook aka "The virgin vault" is unbelievable. It's perhaps the closest you can get in the Midwest to living in a college over in Europe....very ritzy and old interiors. I went to an international dinner there back in '05. Any other day though because I'm a dude they don't allow us in, and you have to get permission from the house mom...aka the nickname.

In the old days, the law quad was built across the street so that during the events the lawyers could meet the fine ladies, and maybe someday make one of them their wife. The original building was constructed near Angell Hall but burned down. There's tons of secret passageways under this part of campus (no they aren't steam tunnels, but escape routes!) I got to walk through the one beneath MC and the president's house. Incredible. There's also a large underground storage area beneath the plaza where the clock tower is. This is a bit more accessible to anyone who has classes in the Modern Language building. If anyone is ever in that place whenever a performance is happening at Hill, the doors beneath the stairwells become unlocked, leading to the underground walkways. They are actually huge and large enough to drive vehicles through. Lots of storage and equipment rooms. I might have pics somewhere.

My friends and I would be working late in the studio during our pre-arch days and would sneak through this maze of corridors into the basement of hill, and then backstage. There was security, but they didn't mind at all and let us watch. ahhhh, the undergrad days...........

It looks like you did make it over close to South U and even past the Zaragon Pl construction project. Great shots!

The inside of Martha Cook aka "The virgin vault" is unbelievable. It's perhaps the closest you can get in the Midwest to living in a college over in Europe....very ritzy and old interiors. I went to an international dinner there back in '05. Any other day though because I'm a dude they don't allow us in, and you have to get permission from the house mom...aka the nickname.

In the old days, the law quad was built across the street so that during the events the lawyers could meet the fine ladies, and maybe someday make one of them their wife. The original building was constructed near Angell Hall but burned down. There's tons of secret passageways under this part of campus (no they aren't steam tunnels, but escape routes!) I got to walk through the one beneath MC and the president's house. Incredible. There's also a large underground storage area beneath the plaza where the clock tower is. This is a bit more accessible to anyone who has classes in the Modern Language building. If anyone is ever in that place whenever a performance is happening at Hill, the doors beneath the stairwells become unlocked, leading to the underground walkways. They are actually huge and large enough to drive vehicles through. Lots of storage and equipment rooms. I might have pics somewhere.

My friends and I would be working late in the studio during our pre-arch days and would sneak through this maze of corridors into the basement of hill, and then backstage. There was security, but they didn't mind at all and let us watch. ahhhh, the undergrad days...........

I still can't believe we will be seeing a 26 story tower rising not far from Zaragon. That place is really building up. Not mention some of the midrise infill. Even the pizza house expansion a block further East beefed up the density.

West Hall is awesome. They still have the hurricane simulator inside. Someone needs to trim the ivy though. It's getting a bit out on control lol.

I still can't believe we will be seeing a 26 story tower rising not far from Zaragon. That place is really building up. Not mention some of the midrise infill. Even the pizza house expansion a block further East beefed up the density.

West Hall is awesome. They still have the hurricane simulator inside. Someone needs to trim the ivy though. It's getting a bit out on control lol.

Okay, time to finish posting my last pictures. I should have posted these yesterday but I didn't want the thread to end I suppose.

About all that is left to post is the Museum of Natural History:

2765675825_1d76010050_b.jpg

2766522630_25cd41e3b3_b.jpg

2765676373_11a4201926_b.jpg

2766523086_d916a6b42f_b.jpg

2766523572_173ab0a068_b.jpg

Museum Annex:

2766547990_877379eab5_b.jpg

North Hall:

2765701151_171de8f366_b.jpg

2765701289_661ee834d7_b.jpg

C.C. Little Building:

2766548136_40fe657ced_b.jpg

University Streetwall:

2765701955_b05c97949e_b.jpg

The final image:

2765721055_2f6d640037_b.jpg

If anyone wants to see a certain picture without looking through this huge thread you can check out my Ann Arbor Photo Set It also includes the pictures I took the week before these that I had posted in the photo of the day thread.

Great thread. I wish it didn't have to end as well.

North Hall as an interesting story. We actually almost lost it due to a mistake in neighboring construction. Workers excavated far too much earth causing the back of the building to break apart and slowly tip backwards. It was later stabilized by "propping it up" against the neighboring buildings. The front part of the structure sustained quite a bit of damage as the ground began to settle. It was later all patched up, but if you walk around to the side, you'll notice the masonry does not line up at all. But at least it is fixed. I have photos. I'll dig them up.

Archived