Crispin Glover coming to UICA

GRDadof3

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you want to go to this show, here's a review --> The Crispin Glover Road Show

a quote:

"What is it? is not a self-contained film so much as a jumping-off point for Crispin Glover to personally engage the audience. Without his exigesis it’s.. well, not a bad film, perhaps — but definitely an incomplete and unsatisfying one. With it, it’s a good night out that leaves you with plenty to chew over on the way home."

I'd love to go but I can't see my wife enjoying it whatsoever.

That crazy sucker has played some of my favorite movie wack jobs. Anyone remember that oldie but goodie River's Edge? (check out the reviews on our local boy's site Spout)

Glover was also crazy in Wild at Heart. John Serba linked the one scene where he's making all the sandwiches, but that's only a snippet of that entire Cousin Dell sequence:

[video snipped out]

But you're right wingbert. There's no way my wife would go see this. :o

So excited for this! Congrats to UICA for getting this!!! Hooray!

ETA: OK, my household has been having a debate of 'genius vs. crazy', and we're leaning toward 'crazy'. . . but that doesn't mean we won't go see him! Have to admit, I love the Crispin Glover!

I too watched in horror the night he did his Kung Foo thing on David Letterman. Was that really 21 years ago? I was shocked to see a response that I had never seen in David. It/he was SPOOKY. Seriously, I didn't know he was still around. Oh, OK then. If he is around then, he must draw some seriously underground and avant-guard audiences. Well, then I'm all for it. I could throw a rock from my apartment to the UICA. And I'm all for GR being able to finally draw such attractions. Good for GR!! Let's hear it for alternative acts here. I just might go see him.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone go to this last night? I'm going tonight. You kids downtown, keep your eyes peeled, he could be out and about today. I wonder what interesting things Crispin Glover will do in GR today - or if he's a stay-in-the-hotel-until-the-gig kind of guy.

John Serba had this to say about last night.

"I'm making my lunch!"

*fish

The Crispin Glover experienece at UICA was worthwhile. Those in attendance definitley got their money's worth! The night started out with Crispin doing a dramatic reading of several of his books accompanied by slides from the books. This was entertaining and you got a feel for his performance style firsthand. Next we viewed his movie "What Is It?". The movie is very interesting, some scenes are difficult to watch and it was thought provoking when followed up with a Q&A with Crispin who produced, wrote, directed and acted in the film. The guy is soo intellectual - there is so much thought behind what he's doing as a performer and a film maker. He was very giving in the Q&A - not just dishing out pat answers. He also did a meet & greet session for autographs and pictures after the Q&A. The event began shortly after 7:00 p.m. and I didn't leave UICA until a bit after 11:30 p.m., but left with a new level of respect for the guy and his art! Also got my Crispin Glover autograph and a picture with him. Good times!

*fish

Archived