Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cloudship

Olympic Opening Ceremonies

10 posts in this topic

So who watched the Opening Ceremonies Friday night? What did you think? Do you think it is worth for China, or any other country, for that matter, to pour those kinds of resources into two weeks of events?

I have to say they were over the top. Between the sheer number of performers involved, the lights, the amount of gun powder put into the air (no wonder they have air quality issues!), it was pretty spectacular. Wasn't necessarily as refined or moving as some of the others I have watched, but they did a great job.

Knowing what I know about the quality of life in china, and some of the government actions and the cost involved, I am having a hard time coming to terms with what they spent on the games. The numbers are staggering, and that is money that could have gone to much better places. The buildings are incredible, but what use are they to the country afterwards? And what about all the lives so disrupted to make these possible?

At the same time, I think it was the first games where I could actually see the pride these people had in the games. This isn't just a big event like it is to the west - this really is their future. The hopes that seem to be pinned on this that it will revolutionize their future and mark significant change are palpable. In some ways it makes me kind of worried that they have done too much too soon, and are expecting too much from it.

I wonder what this will mean once the games are over. Will the rest of the world see China as a modern, first world country, finally? Or will it highlight even more how unbalanced and inharmonious the country is?

I'm surprised this topic isn't in full swing already.

I honestly don't remember any of the previous opening ceremonies (the Barcelona games in '92 is the first Olympics I really remember), but all I know is that this opening ceremony was about as spectacular as it could get. It was flat-out awesome. It really was a statement to the global community about China solidifying its place in the world (economy).

In terms of the new structures that were built, I do know that the National Stadium (Bird's Nest) is supposed to have some of its capacity removed and will become the new home of the Beijing soccer team. Not really sure about the rest, though. I don't imagine that the city might have a tough time finding new uses for the buildings once the games are over.

...... but all I know is that this opening ceremony was about as spectacular as it could get. It was flat-out awesome. It really was a statement to the global community about China solidifying its place in the world (economy). ......

Does anyone have a link to video of the opening ceremony? I watched it live and would really like to show it to family, but can't find it anywhere on the net. Looks like they've really taken a hard line against anything but brief clips and still images.

Does anyone have a link to video of the opening ceremony? I watched it live and would really like to show it to family, but can't find it anywhere on the net. Looks like they've really taken a hard line against anything but brief clips and still images.

I have looked all over for a video and I can't find anything but what you described.

It appears the Chinese faked the little girl singing during the opening ceremonies. See here.

The Nazis did the same thing during the 1936 olympics by only letting people with the right Aryan look participate.

Seems to me that the behavior of the Chinese has been frighteningly simlar the Germans in '36. I hope this isn't a case of history repeating itself.

Luciano Pavarotti lip-synched and his backing orchestra mimed their performance at the opening ceremony of the 2006 Torino Winter Olympics, so it's not the first time it's happened.