True North Architecture moving to (near) downtown from Belmont

GRDadof3

This is more great news! Meijer and Amway might not be moving downtown any time soon, but every week lately it seems like other smaller businesses are taking the plunge.

True North Architecture plans to renovate 607 Dewey Ave NW, near the Seward/6th Ave area, add a third floor to the building, and move its main offices from Belmont (Plainfield Township) into this downtown location. True North, which has 12 employees, will invest $1.9 Million and occupy the entire new 3rd floor, and will sublet the rest of the building to other office tenants.

According to the applicant, "The redevelopment will provide an opportunity for True North to showcase its architectural, construction and development capabilities, in close proximity to I-196". "..the structure will also be wired to accommodate future improvements that will include the construction of a Green Roof and installation of renewable energy sources such as solar panels and micro wind turbines. The applicant will be seeking LEED Certification"

The applicant is seeking a public hearing to review the Brownfield Redevelopment Plan.

2748679104_f5389650b1_b.jpg

2748682126_3b515a0aca_b.jpg

2747850483_42c3fbbdef_b.jpg

Just had to get this one:

2748680680_7c628591f9_b.jpg

Neighbor to the North with new windows:

2747851913_918e0e62d2_b.jpg

If they are trying to create a "showcase" project, it will be interesting to see what the new 3rd floor will look like.

The one project downtown that True North is probably most notable for (that I can think of) is the addition/renovation to 44 Grandville to create US XChange's headquarters back in 1990:

http://www.tnarch.com/ArchitecturePortfoli...nus=OfficeLinks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another shot in the arm for the west side. With this and other projects (mostly Israel's stuff) it will be interesting to see if the neighborhood (housing stock) cleans up too.

Joe

This is more great news! Meijer and Amway might not be moving downtown any time soon, but every week lately it seems like other smaller businesses are taking the plunge.

Here ya go:

2758952758_d021bb4ce5_b.jpg

If I had one complaint about all the development in that area, it would be the surface lots. I understand nothing was demolished to make those surface lots, and that they were already there. Still, it would be nice to see all the buildings tied together in one big urban thread (served by rail on that old rail bed).

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I read in a local commercial real estate magazine while at the tire store (can't remember which magazine now), that a "medical service" business has now committed to the bottom two floors of this project. With True North on the top, I think that fills it up. Awesome!

No mention as to time frame, but I can't wait to see the added floor, the wind turbines and solar panels on this building.

Archived