College Town Updates

Spartan

Just noticed a video on Wofford's website that advertises their Village senior housing, but also gives some details and 3D renderings of the new mixed-use building under construction that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Looks like it will be a great addition to Wofford's campus.

http://www.wofford.edu/village/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The Gibbs family (Gibbses?) are donating $2.5 million toward a $5.5 million project for a new fieldhouse/athletic building for Converse College. Apparently, sports participation has skyrocketed and the college has already outgrown its only 10-year-old current athletic building. They will keep the old building in addition to this new one. Construction should begin in February and finish in 2014. Field enhancements will also happen in the near future.

Herald-Journal article

• 1 year later...

Yesterday at Milliken, the Spartanburg Academic Movement was launched.  It will coordinate and improve existing programs by leveraging partnerships between businesses, schools, colleges, and community leaders.  SAM is a continuation of the College Hub initiative to boost the number of college graduates in Spartanburg County.  It's modeled after a national initiative called "Strive" that started in Cincinnati and has had very positive results there.

It sounds pretty comprehensive.  The seven academic achievement targets are increasing kindergarten readiness, reading well by third grade, success in 8th-grade math & language in prep for HS, strong performance in math & language in HS, transition to college, persistence from freshman to sophomore year of college, and post-secondary completion.

They've got a pretty slick website.  Check it out: http://www.learnwithsam.org

• 11 months later...

Thought I'd dredge up this thread since there is all sorts of development in the pipeline at Wofford.  You can check out their Strategic Vision website for all the details.  But they've announced specifics for several major projects recently (two of which are funded by the Richardsons, as you might expect).

The Rosalind S. Richardson Center for the Arts--a 54,500 sq ft building with 300-seat theater, slated to open in 2017--was announced in October.  It will be built where the current fraternity houses are.  So, a new Greek Village will be built (fraternities and sororities) across Evins Street (next to the tennis center, I believe).

post-24605-0-08902100-1416251288_thumb.j post-24605-0-92589700-1416251289_thumb.j

And today, they announced the Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium--a 92,000 sq ft facility with 3,400-seat basketball arena and 500-seat volleyball venue to be located north of Gibbs Stadium (grassy parking area).  It will seat 4,500 for non-athletic events (concerts, commencements).  Construction will start in Fall 2015 and finish in Fall 2017.

post-24605-0-75617100-1416251341_thumb.j post-24605-0-89063500-1416251338_thumb.j post-24605-0-91025300-1416251333_thumb.j

I love the modernist look of the Arts Center--at least it's something different.  Arena looks like typical Wofford.  Too bad they're not helping with the DT arena/CC, but Wofford has always been isolationist.  And can they really fill an arena of that size?  It's twice their student population.  Also, I feel like they are going to have to build a parking deck on campus eventually.  I bet they're reluctant, both because of cost and because it wouldn't fit their genteel, Old South style.  But they are running out of land over there, so it seems inevitable. 

Anyway, Wofford is going to be a much different place by 2017.

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

The new Wofford venue will be great for recruiting and the fan experience. But updating Ben Johnson arena seems to make more sense to me. There goes good football tailgating spots for us regular folks that do not give the school big bucks. Jerry should add a swimming pool complex to his building. That would really benefit the entire community. THANKS for the above post Westsider28.  

• 2 weeks later...

Those are nice looking buildings. I like the arena building a lot. It has some art deco qualities about it, and a solid traditional look. I also like the fact that they are calling it an "Indoor Stadium" which is a very old school approach (like Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium).

I've never cared for modern architecture. I feel like it looks cool in renderings, but after 20 or 30 years you end up regretting it was ever built. But kudos to Wofford for engaging its alumni and securing a quality art museum like that.

• 5 months later...

Wofford broke ground on the Rosalind Richardson Center for the Arts today.  The exterior will feature limestone, brick, copper and glass.  It's expected to be completed by February 2017.  A really cool thing mentioned in the article is that the center will have two abstract glass sculptures of red, gold, orange and green by renown artist Dale Chihuly (one will be 31 feet long)!  His stuff is awesome, check it out.

The article also mentions that groundbreaking on the Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium is scheduled tentatively for next February.

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd give a quick update on the construction at Wofford, since it's pretty significant.  The Greek Village is basically done (though it's fraught with controversy).  The Rosalind Richardson Center for the Arts is moving along quickly with the classroom section's walls & floors mostly framed, and the theater's core rising.  And the Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium's concrete floor is partially poured and steel framework is already going up.  This will all be very impressive when completed.  (photos from webcams)

8206.jpg

jris.jpg

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Digging up this thread again.  There was a notice in the paper about the City/County approving some bonds that Wofford is issuing for campus construction projects. (Anyone know why city/county approval is necessary for a private college issuing their own bonds?)  The projects include a new residence hall, new science building, renovations, and new athletic facilities.  Interestingly, the bond notice suggests the possibility of an athletic facility being built at the Fairgrounds.

I Googled and found this article about several of the projects.  It says they're adding a softball team, so they're building a softball field.  They're also building a running track (much needed).  And the new 150-bed residence hall will go on the site of Andrews Field House (circa-1929, to be demolished).  Here's more info on the various future projects.

996113813_JRRres-hall.thumb.JPG.8a0f07a3845cc829b17d896d1e3e1bbf.JPG669975757_Enviro-scihall.thumb.JPG.f5ed6ff6f66b642a5db83e7c7969e0d4.JPG

5 minutes ago, westsider28 said:

Digging up this thread again.  There was a notice in the paper about the City/County approving some bonds that Wofford is issuing for campus construction projects. (Anyone know why city/county approval is necessary for a private college issuing their own bonds?)  The projects include a new residence hall, new science building, renovations, and new athletic facilities.  Interestingly, the bond notice suggests the possibility of an athletic facility being built at the Fairgrounds.

I Googled and found this article about several of the projects.  It says they're adding a softball team, so they're building a softball field.  They're also building a running track (much needed).  And the new 150-bed residence hall will go on the site of Andrews Field House (circa-1929, to be demolished).  Here's more info on the various future projects.

996113813_JRRres-hall.thumb.JPG.8a0f07a3845cc829b17d896d1e3e1bbf.JPG669975757_Enviro-scihall.thumb.JPG.f5ed6ff6f66b642a5db83e7c7969e0d4.JPG

Glad to see renovations planned for the library.  Definitely needed.  

This is great news, but adding another 125 students to the enrollment is even bigger. Wofford has a tremendous impact on Spartanburg

and growing the school has so much impact on Spartanburg.  If Wofford could ever get to 2500-3000 Students ( I don't think they want to)

you would see a huge impact on apartments, hotels, restaurants, foot traffic, etc.

On 4/26/2019 at 12:57 PM, westsider28 said:

I don't understand how the bond structure works, but maybe there has to be a municipal sponsor? I found this article that sheds a little light on the situation, although it doesn't answer your specific question.

https://scjeda.com/new-jeda-bonds-aid-expansions-at-wofford-college/

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently Converse is looking at going co-ed and changing to a 'university.' The coed thing makes a lot of sense just from a business model standpoint. I have no idea whether or not changing the name to Converse University makes any sense - though I guess if they have, or are going to offer, graduate degrees then its appropriate. Here in Charlotte, Queens College changed to "Queens University of Charlotte" a while back, and they also went to a co-ed model.  Any thoughts on this move if they were to do it?

https://www.goupstate.com/news/20190514/converse-discusses-going-co-ed-becoming-converse-university

Its the right move. I spoke last night with someone about the situation and they said this has been in the works for a while now. Technically Converse is the last "all" female college in the country, but it is simply not sustainable financially anymore.

There will be a few who don't agree similar to the Citadel thing, but its the right thing to do. Converse already offers grad degrees but just hasn't gotten around to the name change.

One really interesting fact that came out of my discussion was being alerted of a coming college shortage of applicants in 2026-2028 because of the fact that there was a tremendous drop in women getting pregnant during the recession of 2008-2010. This also was a factor in going co-ed.

Edited by Sparkleman

I graduated from an all-male college in the early 90's.  I went there not because of its single-gender status (it had been that way since its founding in the late 1800s), but because it was one of the top-rated schools in its specialty (it is an engineering and science school - think Institute of Technology).  During  my senior year, the board of trustees set forth a bold plan to elevate the status of the school from a regionally-known and respected institution to one with a more national reach, albeit while still keeping it relatively small (it has grown from 1700 undergrads to around 2200 today but will likely not grow any more by plan).  One of the primary factors in this plan was to move to coed - one which was voted on by both current students and alumni, and wholeheartedly endorsed by both groups.    Now, it is still about 3:1 male:female, but the decision was far and away the correct one and a significant factor in elevating the status of the school as desired. 

I am not saying that this is what Converse needs to do to improve the overall experience or viability of the school - their aims are certainly different than my alma mater's were at the time.  However, from my experience, it was absolutely the correct decision to move to coed. 

Converse, like other schools, is closely looking at demographic trends that point to a decreasing population and smaller enrollment numbers.  The way I see it, Converse has no choice.  Either evolve into a coeducational institution and elevate the school's status or slowly die.  

Wofford began it's coeducational status in the early 70's.  Definitely a good decision.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Old news, but have not seen it mentioned.  Converse is officially going co-ed fall of 2022 and will become a university.  Although, they have had male graduate students for decades.  Only a small percentage of high school females apply to a single gender college.  

Spartanburg Methodist College  will start offering more 4 year BA degree majors next fall.  I believe they  will add six more.    

Obviously our colleges are a great asset.  

• Like 1

USC Upstate recently released a new Master Plan for their campus.  Here's the website with a cool video.  In the short term, it appears the focus is on a Library Annex, a Campus Life Center expansion, and a new Nursing building.  However, a very interesting item mentioned is a new Convocation Center.  They mention needing state, county, and corporate support.  Could this be the "Spartanburg Convention Center" that the SC House budget put aside $6 million for?  I'd prefer it to be downtown, but being near campus could help spur development at Milliken Village.

On 2/25/2020 at 5:03 PM, gman430 said:

Here are some screenshots of the Master Plan from their video:

1885242506_USCUpstateMP2020-1.thumb.jpg.f058900a86387bce83f7fd6d5359287f.jpg

1563184571_USCUpstateMP2020-2.thumb.jpg.8a39d6fc999435d9f28336959882261c.jpg

1783920055_USCUpstateMP2020-3.thumb.jpg.79341cb913c4c47ee14adc24565dfb4c.jpg

1088661162_USCUpstateMP2020-5.thumb.jpg.315246cee51cfdcd3c1d7769eed2b4c9.jpg