Two new businesses for Midtown/Uptown

GRDadof3

The property on 919 Cherry, site of the old Gillard and Gillard law office, is preparing to open the second week of January. The wine bar will feature 40 wines by the glass and a 150 bottle wine list. The N2N nitrogen wine preservation system will the first of its kind used in Michigan. The wines featured have been selected by Michael Dombrowski, former wine manager of Art of the Table and former sommelier of the Grand Rapids Chop House. The wines are selected by Mike representing the best producers from the best wine regions around the world. Corez will feature Chef Chad Miller, owner of Bloom, who's menu will focus on regional and seasonal cuisine, with a variety of eclectic cheeses, homemade charcuterie, and house smoked meats and fish, as well as homemade desserts. The uniquely warm and organic bar will be run by long time downtown bar manager Dan Schneider, formerly of the Chop House. The current menu and wine list as well as pictures of the construction process can be found here: www.corezwinebar.com

In addition to unique food and wine offerings, the builduing is seeking LEED certification. Refuse is being seperated, sorted and recycled. Sustainable materials have been sought for use within the building, as well as sustainable construction methods. After construction is complete Corez will strive to achieve the highest standards of sustainability and environmental awareness.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting, seems like Grand Rapids night life may attract all crowds. From my understanding, you can't find too many (if any ) of these type of resturants downtown in any Michigan city. (Traverse City may have many places like this, due to it being one of the wine capitols. Due to Detroit size, I wouldn't be surprise if they have something similar. From my understanding everyone says downtown Detroit is safe and about the only place for entertainment etc... in the city, while the rest is in the suburbs.)

The property on 919 Cherry, site of the old Gillard and Gillard law office, is preparing to open the second week of January. The wine bar will feature 40 wines by the glass and a 150 bottle wine list. The N2N nitrogen wine preservation system will the first of its kind used in Michigan. The wines featured have been selected by Michael Dombrowski, former wine manager of Art of the Table and former sommelier of the Grand Rapids Chop House. The wines are selected by Mike representing the best producers from the best wine regions around the world. Corez will feature Chef Chad Miller, owner of Bloom, who's menu will focus on regional and seasonal cuisine, with a variety of eclectic cheeses, homemade charcuterie, and house smoked meats and fish, as well as homemade desserts. The uniquely warm and organic bar will be run by long time downtown bar manager Dan Schneider, formerly of the Chop House. The current menu and wine list as well as pictures of the construction process can be found here: www.corezwinebar.com

In addition to unique food and wine offerings, the builduing is seeking LEED certification. Refuse is being seperated, sorted and recycled. Sustainable materials have been sought for use within the building, as well as sustainable construction methods. After construction is complete Corez will strive to achieve the highest standards of sustainability and environmental awareness.

Very interesting, seems like Grand Rapids night life may attract all crowds. From my understanding, you can't find too many (if any ) of these type of resturants downtown in any Michigan city. (Traverse City may have many places like this, due to it being one of the wine capitols. Due to Detroit size, I wouldn't be surprise if they have something similar. From my understanding everyone says downtown Detroit is safe and about the only place for entertainment etc... in the city, while the rest is in the suburbs.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Press photo is at least a couple weeks old. Their place looks to be completed.

I've sent them an invite to my street (to which they could crawl with a broken leg).

The piece also mentions Beckett Family Rentals. IMHO, the latter has bitten off more than they can chew. House next door to me is borderline blight, and not much has happened since their closing (at least a month ago). At least they got the abandoned dogs out.

• 6 months later...

So are they covering the old business name? That sign is beautiful, I hope they keep it. I'm obviously a sign buff as I'm sure most don't think it is 'beautiful'. :)

Before:

heritage.jpg

Yesterday:

uphols.jpg

The ladder guy told me that the sign can't be removed, but it will (soon) be wrapped with new aluminium. Use isn't changing, still Heritage estate sales.

Here's your sign.

sign-2.jpg

sign-1.jpg

Neon is lonnnggg gone, holes, rust. Yep, it's charming. Ladder Man said it will be wrapped with new metal. "It can't be removed."

While I'm at it, here's the Outreach Mission/thrift store next door to the subject property.

outreach.jpg

And the Fulton Street Group home.

fsg-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OTOH, here's one that's closing.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2009/11/beat_goes_on_music_store_closi.html

...CDs, used vinyl, DVDs, video games, collectible figurines, signed posters, stickers and even blank tape cassettes.

"The writing's been on the wall for the music industry for years. It's almost to the point where the music business is at a dead end."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived