The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming

monsoon

you miss-understood what i said then. russia, as in the leaders, not the entire population. putin is one of the leaders, who happens to be ex-kgb. the yeltsin introducing the market economy was about one of the reasons the cold war ended. i would suggest that you read what i write better before saying that i need to research better.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL, Putin was Ex-KGB. You are suggesting that he has it in for the USA because of that, yet you seem to not know or not understand that Yeltsin was also a high official in the Soviet Communist Party. Furthermore you are incorrect about the market economy. The attempts at market reform by Yeltson came AFTER the Soviet Union was dissolved and resulted in a economic collapse inside Russia after Yeltsin took office.

Yeltsin was instrumental in ending the Soviet Union, but it was because the people had already rejected the communist state. Yeltsin rose to popularity because he peacefully ended the coup on Gorbachev AND SAVED THE EXISTING SOVIET GOVERNMENT. It was Gorbachev who later dissolved the Soviet Union and Yeltsin as President of Russia took its place. The United States, as much as some would like to believe, had nothing to do with this.

I have read what you have written and you basically have accused the Russians (government, leaders, people, who knows) of having it in for the United States because they were embarrassed at the financial ruin on the Soviet Union caused by the USA. That is totally not correct.

^Indeed. The rest of the world is scared of America, not Russia. We spend more on our military than the rest of the world combined and the thought has to be, why do we need so much fire power? Of course having it means it eventually gets used as Iraq demonstrates. It's also the reason the USA can not afford to provide decent health care to its citizens, why we have a crumbling infrastructure that rates as 3rd world class, and the real reason why people pay such much in taxes.

It is starting to get scary BTW because the Russians have said today, has warned NATO/USA that giving military aid to Georgia will be considered an act of war on the Russian Federation. They mean business and it scares me that Bush/Cheney are still running the military.

^

The situation with Russia is indeed getting scary. If you didn't know, there was a tiny article in the media that stated we have ships in a Georgian port and Russia has ships in another port nearby. Apparently Bush had ships deployed to the area and it kept mosty under wraps. There is also a push by key NATO countries to speed up the admittance of the Ukraine to NATO. This would give NATO an even closer base of operations against Russia and would also likely anger them even more. Also, Russia recently threatened Moldova over separatist regions and used Georgia as an example, but they don't share a border with Russia, so they would have to go through the Ukraine to get to Moldova. Basically, adding Ukraine to NATO would mean that Russia would have to go through a NATO country to get to Moldova, which would in turn mean a declaration of war by NATO against Russia, which would act as a deterrent to attacking Moldova. One Russian official warned that Russia would respond militarily. I would like to note too though, that Russia has stated the it was not going to stop overland vehicles headed to resupply NATO troops in Afghanistan from passing through Russia and they also demanded that North Korea continue shutting down its reactors.

^Touche Monsoon

To add a little twist to our analysis: Its ironic to that Russia warned that Kosovo, the Serbian province that declared its independence in February would "legitimize" the breaking away of territories much the same as South Ossetia and Abkhazia in Georgia. Russia warned the West of establishing a "Kosovo precedent." This precedent is now the very core of how the Russian leadership is presenting their logic for their actions in Georgia.

Tricky, tricky

Cheney is visiting Azerbaijan to spark the potential for the development of a new pipeline to run from the energy reserves of the Caspian Sea region to Western ports in the Mediterrean Sea. The existing pipelines that make this key connection run through Tbillissi Georgia. Geography matters: Azerbaijan is bordered to the south by Iran, the west by Armenia and its mountains, the northwest by Georgia, the north by Russia. Lets hope that Dark Helmet doesn't spark more aggression out of Moscow.

• 4 months later...

The problem of halted gas out of the Caspian Sea has been smoldering for a while; cross your fingers and lets hope a resolution is soon coming. I haven't heard much about this in our domestic news media outlets, but the topic is a hot one on international media outlets.

Russian gas giant Gazprom says Ukraine has blocked gas deliveries to Europe

gas_pipelines_map466_aff.gif

Archived