Hudsonville Meijer?

bice7

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was working at the Jenison Meijer when the Grandville one opened. It was comically ridiculous how many people were supposed to meet someone at the "Grandville Meijer" and would show up in Jenison. When informing them of their error, the reaction was always the same: "You mean they built another Meijer like 3 miles away from here?!?" And the Standale one wasn't even open then.

There stores are not really that much closer, distance wise, than any other in the area. It is pretty compromable to the Alpine/Plainfield/Knapp triangle. That exit in Hudsonville is the new fad exit to build at right now because it is mostly farmland at the moment, is close to the Holland/Zeeland area, and is within close proximity to I-196.

Lets use a map of the stores and kill 2 birds with one stone.

Meijer.jpg

Looking at this map you see that Meijer has been creating a ring around the city. Frankly I see several areas where they are limiting themselves. The Caledonia sector is rather blank. The proposed Hudsonville store will fill a void that needs it. As for the Downtown Meijer, well I hate to say it but it would not make any sense. The distance between the Plainfield Meijer and Kentwood Meijer is 8.75 miles as the shortest route. Right now I think its just not going to work. The key thing is that Meijer figures for them to put a big 200k foot store in a downtown area will be expensive for the land. I think the only area they will move towards is a store on the west side south of 196. That would be the ONLY location they could move into. As for other sectors to look for is Newaygo/Fremont area. That is also lacking one. Probally Allegan will get one shortly too provided thier population increases. The key thing is that the experince with Lowell was not good. Given this not much I can see them doing. Overall I would expect to see in the next 10 years 3 stores running on M37 from M6 to Hastings.

Well I thought I take a look at what properties they own down there in caledonia. Well the block that runs from Kraft to the East Beltline north of 68th up about a half mile is all owned by Goodwill Co Inc. That is the same name for the Clyde Park Ave Store. Whats interesting is the developer for the Gaines Township store did not sell the land to Meijer but rather is renting it to them.

Well I thought I take a look at what properties they own down there in caledonia. Well the block that runs from Kraft to the East Beltline north of 68th up about a half mile is all owned by Goodwill Co Inc. That is the same name for the Clyde Park Ave Store. Whats interesting is the developer for the Gaines Township store did not sell the land to Meijer but rather is renting it to them.

Archived