Proposal Location

So, I've recently decided to pop the question, but my top choices of location have become rather expensive in light of the recent gas prices, and of course the poor college student budget!

Do you, the UP community, have any cool places in GR/West Michigan for the special event? I also invite you to tell stories of your own experience!

Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, I've recently decided to pop the question, but my top choices of location have become rather expensive in light of the recent gas prices, and of course the poor college student budget!

Do you, the UP community, have any cool places in GR/West Michigan for the special event? I also invite you to tell stories of your own experience!

Thanks!

In the early fall when it gets a bit cooler, the beach at Hoffmaster State Park that you have to hike out to from the campground doesn't get a ton of traffic. It's a gorgeous place, and not to far away. Another great natural place that's underappreciated and not too busy is Warren Woods State Park, some of the last remaining Beech-Maple old growth in the state. It's about a 90 min drive, not too far from the Indiana border. This weekend I was at the county park campground at Wabasis Lake and that's a cool place. They have a shorter nature trail with not much traffic with some larger trees.

If you're looking for really close to home, Millenium Park is really beautiful around twilight time, and you can definitely find a spot off to yourself. You could take a trip to the top of the JW, propose, then go to dinner at 616. Also, perhaps sitting out near the reflection pool at GRAM. Or you could go for a ride on the DiSuvero tire swing by City Hall and do it while you're swinging back and forth.

Those are what come to my mind.

Yeah, I want to propose marriage. :D

My most thought of place is a beautiful spot near the south end of Torch Lake, up North of Traverse City, but, like I said before, it's not a real cheap trip anymore.

I love downtown GR, and, of course, the surrounding area, but I really want to find one place that can be memorable.

Also, tamias6, thank you for the Heritage Hill suggestion to look for some housing. Though it won't be for at least another year, that will certainly be a good place to look!

DT at twilight, in a pedicab. On the GRFord Memorial Wait in Line Here pedestrian bridge. Tony'll charge you maybe $2.

If you are feeling flush, go with the horse carriage. (I don't know what they cost.)

A few weeks back, at the Tuesday night swing dance, a recently-married young couple got to dance to their song (Nat King Cole, LOVE). They told the host that they hadn't even gotten to dance together at their wedding. RPC was full of dancers, the host gave a signal, and everyone cleared out except the newlyweds. It was really cool.

If that's not your style, there's always BotM.

ETA: the fish ladder!

HTH

Let's say Alden, MI is the place near the south end of Torch Lake that you'd really like to go.

If you just spent any money on a ring, then the 300 miles round trip from downtown GR to Alden would be $120 (at $4/gal) in a Hummer... hopefully your car gets better gas mileage than that. :)

What I'm saying is: Go for it man. You only get one shot. Take the trip you want, don't stay home because of a $120 gasoline bill.

Since you wanted suggestions, however here are a few closer to downtown GR that still have some of the outdoor beauty you'd get up north.

- If you drive along the south shore of Lake Macatawa, turn left just before the Eldean Shipyards there is a trail to the top of a dune perfectly positioned to see the sunset this time of year. Very romantic spot if you're a beach-and-water Michigander. Scout this out first since it's a semi-marked trail.

- If you go to Grand Haven, there is a trail behind the water treatment plant that goes up a great dune with some sweet views of the city. A worthy spot indeed.

- Hoffmaster's great.. campground beach, or the nature center dune climb are both very attractive spots.

Geez, those are all dune climb suggestions... sorry. :)

If you are interested in the 'nautical' theme and want to stay close to town, might I suggest Reed's Lake in EGR. There are a couple of cool spots...

1.) Fishing pier off of Lakeside Drive near the intersection with Wealthy...usually has a fisherman or two, but clears out after dark, for sure. Not the prettiest part of the lake, but nice nevertheless...

2.) Behind the library / community center there is a two-tiered pedestrian area with magnificent lake views (sunset!), and it is typically not very busy (especially the lower level).

3.) This may be pushing the boundries of legality, but...there is a lake access road at the bottom of Hall Street (right where it ends, turn left) that goes right next to the lake. There are a bunch of private homes on top of a hill, then the road, which separates the homes from the lakefront. There are some awesome spots there, although they are technically private property.

After Labor Day, another good spot is Oval Beach in Saugatuck. Nice winding drive to the beach. Go to the Northermost part of the parking lot and walk North, there will be water on one side, dunes on the other. Watch the sun set. Then to a nice dinner in Saugatuck to celebrate.

After Labor Day, another good spot is Oval Beach in Saugatuck. Nice winding drive to the beach. Go to the Northermost part of the parking lot and walk North, there will be water on one side, dunes on the other. Watch the sun set. Then to a nice dinner in Saugatuck to celebrate.

There's always the Rogue River dam in Rockford at sunset. It's an attractive little park, you can walk out on the sidewalk over the dam, the water is rushing around, it's nice. Then afterward you go to Red's for a romantic dinner or The Corner Bar and eat 12 chili dogs to get your name on the wall to memorialize the romantic event - whichever works for you.

Archived