Read, think, Reply...contribute

The Voice of Reason

I would argue that companies leave Hartford for predominantly desirability reasons. You don't move to an office park in Rocky Hill just b/c of cost, especially for a company like WFSB that owned the building they were in. In my opinion, Hartford needs to establish some level of density before it can accept losing jobs to the suburbs. I actually think it hurts both the city and region for those jobs to move outside the downtown area.

I agree that luring in banking/finance companies should be the target. Hartford is desirable b/c of the proximity to the large banking centers in the Boston area and New York area (including Stamford/Greenwich) and it is significantly cheaper and less congested than either of those areas.

I visited a lawyer friend who lives outside of NYC, but his law firm is in a prestigious building in Manhattan. He needs that because it gives the appearance of a well to do high power firm. some businessess need that. Hartford, for all its failing, still offer such pretentiousness. I have a customer who is doing lots of work for a NYC law firm. He told me the going rate paralegal, lawyers and etc in Hartford is so much cheaper than NYC firms, so NYC firms farm out a bit of work to Hartford area. I would suggest getting large law firms/Accounting firms/Ad agencies/Institution brokerages/mutual fund companies to establish their CT present in Hartford is more logical then trying to get back office bank processing clerks and programmers, companies tend to stick them in cubical, not expensive class A building.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I visited a lawyer friend who lives outside of NYC, but his law firm is in a prestigious building in Manhattan. He needs that because it gives the appearance of a well to do high power firm. some businessess need that. Hartford, for all its failing, still offer such pretentiousness. I have a customer who is doing lots of work for a NYC law firm. He told me the going rate paralegal, lawyers and etc in Hartford is so much cheaper than NYC firms, so NYC firms farm out a bit of work to Hartford area. I would suggest getting large law firms/Accounting firms/Ad agencies/Institution brokerages/mutual fund companies to establish their CT present in Hartford is more logical then trying to get back office bank processing clerks and programmers, companies tend to stick them in cubical, not expensive class A building.

Well without having to type it out you are seeing my inner mind now. :)

Banks sell insurance, have brokerages, wealth management divisions and such. Their presence also creats a great deal more work for Auditors and 3rd party accountants. All the annoying SOX crap I deal with at work creates more jobs. so does all the SEC crap and I am sure the FDIC crap.

I truely think the best industry is Finance (because it pays my bills) but we are not going to get Goldman Sachs to move here. However, I think it is very likely that if Hartford had greater diversification of its financial industry out of insurance and into banking, brokerage/mutual funds etc the Law firms and Accounting firms will follow.

My concern is that these bank offices now do not even look at Hartford. Thats what I want to change. If we get their attention and land an office or two, we are on their radar. Eventually when JPM Chase or Citi are looking to expand into the North East they might concider Hartford because we show up on the map of banking centers. Then when they need more cheap space and cheap talented workers for their growing fixed income unit, they see that Hartford has the workers and space ready to go... so we snag those jobs.

Hopefully during this time our regional banks do their part and are not bought and grow as well.

obviously part of what makes this discussion possible is downtowns recent improvements. If housing is continually developed we won't be worried about vibrancy or loosing jobs to the burbs. but the Jobs part has to be fought for. I Think Hartford should have fought for theFidelity campus Rhode Island got. I think it should have fought for RBC and UBS in Stamford. I think it should honestly learn to fight for jobs.

I think I once relayed a conversation I hade when JPMC was looking for a new home. well before NYC paid them to stay. Well I got such a depressing responce from this city.

remember the media is bored around here. I would love to feed them something to chew on. get the city to act.

Back to the thinking part...

I was doing some thinking during my morning commute that was brought about by some adds during the Olympics last night that reminded me of a few things.

For one GE is Headquartered in CT. it may be purely for tax reasons, and it may be down in Fairfield county, but the fact remains that the GE world HQ is here in the nutmeg state. GE for some reason immediately makes me think of Nukes, and that then makes me think of General Dynamics/EB down in Groton.

I am not a fan of nuclear power in general. what can I say I was raised by 2 hippies. But at this point in time Nuke power is an alternative fuel source. For that matter the other technologies GE employs are alternative fuel sources... like wind turbines.

I am wondering how feasable it is to get GE, UTC Power, and the independent alternative power companies to form some kind of alliance. possibly in conjunction with the Retnschler field development. GE may not want to move anything up to hartford, but it might be possible to get them to at least put an R&D park up here.

I am not sure what General Dynamics/EB could contribute, but well it is all very high tech stuff.

GE however has plenty of interesting industries for CT

http://www.ge.com/products_services/energy.html

GE Energy makes everything from coal to gas to nuke to solar to wind to geothermal to biofuel power. It would be interesting if somehow CT could lure some of those greener divisions some how.

Also

http://www.ge.com/products_services/finance_business.html

http://www.ge.com/products_services/finance_consumer.html

GE Finance has some real potential in CT if you combine the industries previously discussed. Also Finance jobs are extremely portable.

Continuing on the Energy front...

Northeast Utilities is a great asset for Hartford, and should be thought of as such. Through their subsidiaries they are the largest tax payer is many CT cities and counties. But they are also a major employer, and they are also a regional powerhouse. Power companies have consolidated all over the country, and CT is lucky to have held onto one of the survivors (so far). NU was almost bought by Conn Ed a few years ago, and this would surely have hurt the job situation around here. Instead it is still an independent company based in Berlin. If NU could make a move on one of the other regional players in the power/gas industry, I would say that the company would be pretty safe from take over. Unfortunately it is currently at the perfect size for aquisition, much like PNX Insurance.

It would be good if we could get NU involved in this hypothetical movement towards green energy in CT.

I know this sounds pedestrian (pun intended). But the single most important downtown project would be a very large parking garage on Spruce street. It would help companies, restaurants and residents of downtown. In a single swoop it will solve he downtown parking crisis that has cost the city jobs and revenue.

• 4 years later...

Did UTC sell off their Fuel Cells division?  Too costly?

The greatest thing that could happen for Hartford would be a HSR coming through downtown from Boston to NYC, and even better, from Montreal.  I really think this would completely change the face of the city, with many more people moving here to live and businesses setting up shop.

...not quite on topic I know...

I own a little UTX stock. Have for years.

They sold off the fuel cell division. They have off loaded almost all their "green energy" ventures having sold off their wind turbine stuff as well. This was a very good move as those were unprofitable assets. Great for PR but awful for the bottom line (unless the government is subsidizing it heavily).

Yeah, the portfolio transformation was a very strong move for UTC exactly the way BB says.  By adding two large Aerospace comapnies to the portfolio, and eliminating several non core assets, the company is set up very well for the future.   I would not be surprised to see more acquisitions though.  they dont like being too heavily influenced by Aerospace or especially government spending, so I suspect there could be some expansion on the non aerospace side of the house.

plenty more restructuring to come though.  Its a long way from being streamlined as a comp[any.  but thats normal I think with any big company made up from so many acquisitions.

CT and Hartford is not go anywhere economically until we become a more business friendly State. Many companies are moving operations out of State! Look how much UTC has moved. We are dead last in the country for job creation.

drc,

Obviously this mantra has been heard over and over on these forums, and in other places, but what exactly does that mean?

while I know we have the highest taxes and the state has a reputation as a non business friendly state etc...

But the fact remains that we as a state have more than our fair share of businesses, and new companies are being started all the time.  I am not disagreeing with the generel concept of what you are saying, but just asking you to define business friendlyness.  After all, as a state, we are extremely friendly to insurance companies, and we have given huge sums to media companies, and now bio pharma companies.

I think business friendly is a sort of myth.  we as a state are people friendly, and for this reason we are business friendly.  people own run and work for businesses after all and every business exists to serve people in one way or another.

Could we fix our pension issues and our union issues, absolutely, but that would not instantly make conservatives happy.  we would need to greatly reduce our taxes too, and then we would need to lower our services offered, and then it would not be as nice of a place to live.  at some point we could lower our standards so far as to be Arkansas.  But that would not make CT any more attractive to anyone but maybe a few large scale manufacturing firms.  the kind of companies that pay 18 per hour.

I am OK paying more in taxes than my peers in other states.  I earn more than they do.  I also live in a nice safe town with good schools. 

Regarding UTC moving ops out of state:

UTC is a massive global company with an increasingly large precentage of its sales outside of the US.  I have little issue with the building of new plants in Singapore or China to meet local demand.

Also, tell me where exactly CT is going to compete for these jobs with whatever your dream business friendly structure?

I work for UTC, and to be frank, I love the company, so I may have blinders on, I admit that.

but, CT is not competing with business friendly states, in fact its generally not in a position to compete at all.

Look at Otis, they just did some serious consolidating from manufacturing plants in Nogales AZ and Bloomington IN.  

CT cant pay the low wages they pay in Nogales.  its just an impossible gap.

interestingly, manufacturing was combined to a new plant in Florence SC.

This area of SC was incredibly economically depressed.  How can CT compete with that?  is SC more business friendly, or just cheaper to build factories in.

At the same time Otis had had a huge work force in Farmington, and the test elevator site in Bristol.

So, what are you lamenting about UTC, the loss of the blue collar manufacturing that is in places like Florence SC instead of Briston CT?

As long as UTC keeps those thousands(?) of workers in Farmington, they are welcome to build plants in Florence, or China for that matter.

In the long term will UTC leave downtown?  yup  probably

will there be less than 14000 workers in CT?  yup probably

will they continue to globalize and become less and less of Hartford company, a CT company, an American company?   yup...

thats because UTC is huge and owned by shareholders, and when this is the case, there is generally less emotion and consideration for your roots.

You gotta think that the decision makers at UTC are not people born and raised in Hartford like was once the case.

The CEO is french Canadian, as is the head of UTAS

The head of what used to be Carrier is French

The president of Otis is from Spain

drc,

Obviously this mantra has been heard over and over on these forums, and in other places, but what exactly does that mean?

while I know we have the highest taxes and the state has a reputation as a non business friendly state etc...

But the fact remains that we as a state have more than our fair share of businesses, and new companies are being started all the time.  I am not disagreeing with the generel concept of what you are saying, but just asking you to define business friendlyness.  After all, as a state, we are extremely friendly to insurance companies, and we have given huge sums to media companies, and now bio pharma companies.

I think business friendly is a sort of myth.  we as a state are people friendly, and for this reason we are business friendly.  people own run and work for businesses after all and every business exists to serve people in one way or another.

Could we fix our pension issues and our union issues, absolutely, but that would not instantly make conservatives happy.  we would need to greatly reduce our taxes too, and then we would need to lower our services offered, and then it would not be as nice of a place to live.  at some point we could lower our standards so far as to be Arkansas.  But that would not make CT any more attractive to anyone but maybe a few large scale manufacturing firms.  the kind of companies that pay 18 per hour.

I am OK paying more in taxes than my peers in other states.  I earn more than they do.  I also live in a nice safe town with good schools. 

Regarding UTC moving ops out of state:

UTC is a massive global company with an increasingly large precentage of its sales outside of the US.  I have little issue with the building of new plants in Singapore or China to meet local demand.

Also, tell me where exactly CT is going to compete for these jobs with whatever your dream business friendly structure?

I work for UTC, and to be frank, I love the company, so I may have blinders on, I admit that.

but, CT is not competing with business friendly states, in fact its generally not in a position to compete at all.

Look at Otis, they just did some serious consolidating from manufacturing plants in Nogales AZ and Bloomington IN.  

CT cant pay the low wages they pay in Nogales.  its just an impossible gap.

interestingly, manufacturing was combined to a new plant in Florence SC.

This area of SC was incredibly economically depressed.  How can CT compete with that?  is SC more business friendly, or just cheaper to build factories in.

At the same time Otis had had a huge work force in Farmington, and the test elevator site in Bristol.

So, what are you lamenting about UTC, the loss of the blue collar manufacturing that is in places like Florence SC instead of Briston CT?

As long as UTC keeps those thousands(?) of workers in Farmington, they are welcome to build plants in Florence, or China for that matter.

In the long term will UTC leave downtown?  yup  probably

will there be less than 14000 workers in CT?  yup probably

will they continue to globalize and become less and less of Hartford company, a CT company, an American company?   yup...

thats because UTC is huge and owned by shareholders, and when this is the case, there is generally less emotion and consideration for your roots.

You gotta think that the decision makers at UTC are not people born and raised in Hartford like was once the case.

The CEO is french Canadian, as is the head of UTAS

The head of what used to be Carrier is French

The president of Otis is from Spain

What does business unfriendly mean? It means last year the Connecticut legislator put new regulations on business making them pony up more per employee for health care costs.  They were the only state in the county to do it. It makes businesses less competitive and gives businesses in other states a huge advantage.

Did you hear about the mattress tax? The only state in the union to propose on is Connecticut. The original idea was to tax the mattress companies. A lame brain scheme if there ever was one because it meant that mattress companies would have to track their mattresses after they sold them.  It would have resulted in every mattress company refusing to sell mattresses in  Connecticut. Flat out crazy.

Connecticut has some of the most expensive energy prices in the United States. Like most of the states in the Northeast, Connecticut’s electricity prices are among the highest in the country and are second only to Hawaii. One of the reasons Connecticut has the most expensive electricity in the continental United States is because of the regulations its Democratic legislature has enacted. You can read about some of the worst in the nation anti-energy regs here http://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/states/connecticut/

Recently Connecticut  increased the minimum wage by 75 cents per hour over the next two years. That bill will require already struggling businesses to pay out more money they don’t have.

In 2010, the head of UTC in a conversation with the governor complained the cost of doing business in this state is too high and, unless something is done, expect UTC to move work elsewhere. When asked where he would move the answer was -anywhere but Connecticut.

The anti-business climate of the state is no myth.  That is classic denial. When left Hamilton Sundstrand left Connecticut it wasn't blue collar jobs, it was a group f the highest earners in the state.

I could go on for a dozen more paragraphs. This is the reason that Connecticut finished dead last of the fifty states in economic growth in 2012.

And Malloy's answer, more taxes and more spending. It's borders on suicidal. The fact is that the Democrats have run the state into the ground and offer no solutions.  Another ten years of Democrats at the helm and the state will go into bankruptcy. Unless the citizens wake up soon, therre is real trouble ahead.

What does business unfriendly mean? It means last year the Connecticut legislator put new regulations on business making them pony up more per employee for health care costs.  They were the only state in the county to do it. It makes businesses less competitive and gives businesses in other states a huge advantage.

Did you hear about the mattress tax? The only state in the union to propose on is Connecticut. The original idea was to tax the mattress companies. A lame brain scheme if there ever was one because it meant that mattress companies would have to track their mattresses after they sold them.  It would have resulted in every mattress company refusing to sell mattresses in  Connecticut. Flat out crazy.

Connecticut has some of the most expensive energy prices in the United States. Like most of the states in the Northeast, Connecticut’s electricity prices are among the highest in the country and are second only to Hawaii. One of the reasons Connecticut has the most expensive electricity in the continental United States is because of the regulations its Democratic legislature has enacted. You can read about some of the worst in the nation anti-energy regs here http://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/states/connecticut/

Recently Connecticut  increased the minimum wage by 75 cents per hour over the next two years. That bill will require already struggling businesses to pay out more money they don’t have.

In 2010, the head of UTC in a conversation with the governor complained the cost of doing business in this state is too high and, unless something is done, expect UTC to move work elsewhere. When asked where he would move the answer was -anywhere but Connecticut.

The anti-business climate of the state is no myth.  That is classic denial. When left Hamilton Sundstrand left Connecticut it wasn't blue collar jobs, it was a group f the highest earners in the state.

I could go on for a dozen more paragraphs. This is the reason that Connecticut finished dead last of the fifty states in economic growth in 2012.

And Malloy's answer, more taxes and more spending. It's borders on suicidal. The fact is that the Democrats have run the state into the ground and offer no solutions.  Another ten years of Democrats at the helm and the state will go into bankruptcy. Unless the citizens wake up soon, therre is real trouble ahead.

Thanks beerbeer you saved me from typing all that. Your post is dead on!!!! Voice of reason I admire your optimism that you have about Ct and Hartford, Honestly I wish I could feel the same. I'm sorry to tell you man, but you need to jump back to reality and look at the big picture. Our economy blows! States with lower taxes are doing much better than we are. Remember the 80s? Before the income tax was enacted, and all the other higher taxes. Economically CT was the envy of any State in the union. Remember all the grand plans for Hartford? Back then we ranked number 27 for taxation, and our economy was booming. Now we our ranked number 1 in taxes, and economy blows!!!!! It doesn't take a rocket science to figure out that all these taxes, and anti-business regulations will continue to drag the State down unless we change how we do business here. Malloy is a detriment to our State, and he needs to be voted out. One party rule has been disastrous.

Thanks beerbeer you saved me from typing all that. Your post is dead on!!!! Voice of reason I admire your optimism that you have about Ct and Hartford, Honestly I wish I could feel the same. I'm sorry to tell you man, but you need to jump back to reality and look at the big picture. Our economy blows! States with lower taxes are doing much better than we are. Remember the 80s? Before the income tax was enacted, and all the other higher taxes. Economically CT was the envy of any State in the union. Remember all the grand plans for Hartford? Back then we ranked number 27 for taxation, and our economy was booming. Now we our ranked number 1 in taxes, and the economy blows!!!!! It doesn't take a rocket science to figure out that all these taxes, and anti-business regulations will continue to drag the State down unless we change how we do business here. Malloy is a detriment to our State, and he needs to be voted out. One party rule has been disastrous.

so, I just read all that including the part about a possible tax that was never passed, and therefore is irrelevent.

how about we look at the causes and not blame a political party?

what?  you want to blame a political party.. Fine, I'll go there :)

my biggest gripe is that Republican states have dominated congressional spending for decades.  the long and short of it is that the dems are not cut throught enough.

CT paid 53 Billion in taxes and the government returned about 30 Billion is programs.... we are consistantly near the bottom of the heap in this regard and it has been going on for DECADES!!!

this little un-business friendly state is where it is today because republican leaders have successfully directed federal spending to their states and their districts. 

do you have any idea how much CT could use that 21+ Billion?  Each year!!!

so dont tell me CT is unfriendly to business, CT is a tiny state burdened by having to financially support far away brothers and sisters like New Mexico.  As a result we have taken to taxing our residents and businesses.

find parity on a federal level and CT would compete just fine.

Does CT over regulate, yup, sure does, but minimum wage hike and healthcare costs are not going to put a 5 employee sign maker out of business.  it may make him raise his rates, but his competitor will do the same.   people are still going to need signs, and those 5 employees are likely making more than minimum wage anyways.

I want to see statistics on who is actually paying minimum  wage in CT

prove it actually affects local businesses.

I suspect Wal-Mart, Target, MC Donalds etc... are the primary minimum wage payers in the state. 

These changes have ZERO effect on YTC, Aetna, Travelers SS&C etc...

they also dont affect resturants like Dish or the Wood and tap

they dont affect Joes garage

they dont affect construction companies

lets just please be realistic about minimum wage and whom it affects OK?

and again, bring that federal money back to CT, and stop buying jobs for Virginia, Mississippi, Montana etc...

You may read this for info on minimum wage.  skip all the words as it is a lubbying group or something like that, but the statistics are pulled from the dept of Labor.

Cashire is the top minimum wage job in CT and more than half of them work for companies with 500+ employees (national chains)

and those that dont work for those companies on average earn 50% more than than the national retailers!!!

so, yes, Walmart will be the ones hurt by this

EDIT:  should add that back in the 80s the tax parity was shifting against CT.  so, I think again we can point to the billions in defecit caused by federal custs in CT and budget shortfalls that have been made up with taxes....

cause- fed cuts

effect-new taxes to fill gap

seconday effect-lots of issues all over the place. doom and gloom, dogs and cats living in sin together

VOR, you seem a reasonable sort.

The reason I blame the Democrats is because this state's economy is a direct result of their policies.  I get you are sympathetic and want to defend them but pragmatically, facts are facts.

As I said I could go on and on. But don't take it from me, take it from almost every business association in the nation and the state. Read business surveys and ratings from any business magazine.  Look at the numerous companies fleeing the state.  There is a reason CT is dead last in economic growth -dead last- it is 40 years of a Democratic legislature.

Since you mention our terrible return from national government. You have 2 of 2 Democrat senators and 4 of 5 Democrat congressmen. They are doing a terrible job by your admission. The state has chosen one party representation in Washington and the state is paying the price.

Suppose Connecticut split it's Washington representation. Suppose the state was in play instead of in the pocket of the national Democrat party.  Then, the powers that be in Washington wold have to pay attention to Connecticut, they couldn't afford to ignore Connecticut. Connecticut would have power and clout. Instead, Connecticut can be comfortably ignored by both parties. Having one party representation in Washington is a HUGE problem.

Once upon a time Connecticut was in the middle of the pack tax-wise. Republican legislatures didn't raise taxes. Once upon a time Connecticut had no income tax and companies fled New York City and moved to Stamford. No more. 

We can have a discussion on minimum wage.  I've read a lot about it. The biggest winners when the MW is raised tend to be affluent high school kids with part time jobs. You're right that MW isn't a big huge influence. But it is not a good influence.  Your argument is that is ain't so bad. That's what Connecticut economic policy has come to, making yourself believe it ain't so bad.

I am a reasonable sort BB,

thats why I dont go around blaming any political party for our issues, especially individuals as figureheads of said party.

tagging Malloy to any issue CT may have is an absolute joke and reeks of political motivation.

The guy is a moderate dem if anything and has done more for the business community in this state than Rell ever dreamt of.

The 2 party state that we have had with Rell and Roland at the helm since 1995, and honestly Weiker before that who was a republican before he renamed a party...

What did they to help the business climate?  honestly?

So for those reasons I say, lament over past errors, and complain about potential curtrent issues as is our constitutional right and obligation, but blaming Malloy is like attacking the fireman trying to save you.

He at least went to war with the state workers(even though he largely lost that battle)  he has ponies monies up for the cities tio create stronger economic engines for the state, and he has lured companies into the state to do business.

He innitiated the consolidation of office space to save money and slashed budgets at departments while consolidating many redundent offices.

Neither of the past 2 republicans have done this.

I am not even a Malloy lover, but compared to Rell, the dude is awesome.

So, essentially every tome one of you conservative guys go off on some woe is me connecticut is ruined by commie pinko dems... yada yada, and you call out a Malloy.... you will get a response.

there are places to maon about politics, and franly, Urban planet is not the place. 

take your agenda driven politics elseware please, and discuss the urban development process here.  OK?

as per your above response...

you are damn right, I said it, the congresspeople need to get more federal funds diverted back here.  and those guys are and have been democrats... it pisses me off, but federal funding also comes from Govenors agendas and Govenors influence on the President.

OK, dont have time to finish typing but you get my main point above.... right?

The Democratic legislature is a bigger problem than Malloy. Besides, I've made my point. And it doesn't matter. Connecticut voters would elect a piece of wood if it was a Democrat.  But you have to ignore a lot of economic facts to like Malloy.

Malloy pushed for the biggest tax increase in state history in 2011. Like most democrats, he tried to tax his way out of a recession. That has never worked. There is a reason we are dead last in the nation in economic growth. There is a reason Texas is in our house recruiting businesses to relocate there. I own a business in downtown Hartford and I am now considering relocating to another state. To think CT is a fine state to open or expand your business is just not facing reality. The amount of taxes I pay each year (real estate, business property, payroll, workers comp, income, sales, etc.) is staggering. I don't want to get into a pissing match, but some of these taxes don't even exist in other states. I know because I pay them.

Something to consider- when I was in school, the state had no income tax and no casino revenues and was actually competitive in terms of business. What happened in the last 20 years?

The fact that CT is dead last of all states in economic growth is all you need to know. I don't know how anyone can look at that stat and argue.

I am not arguing that our state is looking up a massive hill, I am arguing the placement of blame.

When did the tides turn against CT?  when did federal funding start to dry up?  when did we begin cary a greater burden of Americas Western expansion?

when did our companies care more about shareholder return than running a good business?

when did the shareholder become anonomyous? (its when retirement funds started managing billions and trillions in assets and they only cared about profits)

the root cause is not Malloy, it is also not "the dems"  as you might suggest.   There has been a series of socioeconomic shifts in the fabric of America that has put CT and New England at a disadvantage to the rest of the country.  Combounding that shift, CT is small and therefore has less ability to muster resources and to react.  and geographically, CT is between two of the nations greatest cities and economic forces.  This makes "upgrading" to a larger city very easy... and upgrading away from CT would be normal based on those factors. 

I am absolutely certain that there have been moves made by democrats that have drastically hurt the State of CT, wounded it even, but to blanketly blame a political party for all of our ills is obtuse.  to further blame the sitting govenor is equally so.

Our tax burden sucks, there is no doubt and we do offer too many services it seems at times, but at least I see the current govenor as someone who has made strided to change this.

Rell had the best econemy in Americas history,agencies and the state and the pensions funds were all booking income off investments consistantly.  tax revenues were alway higher than projected due to rise in property values, but she never once reigned in spending, never negotiated with union, never did crapola to lure a company and as best I can tell just mailed it in.

I only mention this because it is a counter point to blaming Malloy

A I stated above, politics dont really belong here so dont go randomly blaming Malloy and the dems... especially when Rell, of the opposing party was much less effective during an economic boom.  and because as someone with a differing opinion, I am not posting (unless as a reaction) anything political and pro democrat.

Malloy is a pro city Govenor... He recognizes the economic value of Hrtford, and for that I support him. 

I vehamently object to the politicizing of things on this forum, so I kindly ask for you to stop.

EDIT:

this topic was brought up by a damn spamming bot-account and it instantly became politicized and useless.

in the mean time there has been actual development news and yet, this is the only discussion with replies in it.

There's a lot of good stuff in the Courant about this today, read the letters. http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/

But here's the thing. The root cause is the Democratic legislature and liberal politics.  How can you NOT see that? The taxes didn't come into existence on their own. The regulations which burden state businesses (that don't exist in other states) didn't spring into existence from nothingness. They were enacted by liberal politicians.  These are facts. Ignore them at your peril.

BTW, the rest of New England grew in 2012. Connecticut was the only state in the union with no economic growth.

There's a lot of good stuff in the Courant about this today, read the letters. http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/

But here's the thing. The root cause is the Democratic legislature and liberal politics.  How can you NOT see that? The taxes didn't come into existence on their own. The regulations which burden state businesses (that don't exist in other states) didn't spring into existence from nothingness. They were enacted by liberal politicians.  These are facts. Ignore them at your peril.

BTW, the rest of New England grew in 2012. Connecticut was the only state in the union with no economic growth.

BB, thats the opinion section.  its not even worth the time to read.  at least editorials come from a newspaper employee writing their opinion on an issue.  and that is rarely worth the time it takes to read. 

Id much rather read your opinion than some random opinion elsewhre online, or in the courant, because at least we have a vague comonality and a certain element of understanding or familiarity

• 1 month later...

I'd like to see a company like Merck KGaA from Germany or Novo Nordisk from Denmark set up a facility in the Hartford area. Both are in the top ten of biotech company giants. I'd agree with what many people have said before me. The current menu isn't working as well as it used to....we need to venture out and explore new things so we don't get caught behind....again.

Archived