Adult ed workshop location ideas

Veloise

Since we're sharing ideas on where to propose or get hitched or have a reception or feed the visiting fam, perhaps y'all can help with this slightly different request..

Looking for a venue where folks new to transportation cycling can be gently led through a bicycle commuting workshop.

Requirements:

--A building with indoor plumbing, and classroom or social hall-type meeting space on the ground floor

--Large open parking lot (with minimal hazards, broken glass, cruisers or doughnut-turners)

--Variety of streets, ranging from neighborhood to arterial

One of the instructors is pressing for a suburban locale, thinking that "people won't come downtown" and the suburbanite demographic is more likely to pay for someone to learn 'em how to ride a bicycle. However, this is likely going to be a multi-year thing, like an adult ed class offered through Parks & Rec. Multiple suggestions and jurisdictions are very helpful. I'm sure that a church facility would work (except that it's a fixed site and then there's the denominational thing). School systems, ISDs, libraries with big parking lots, Ys or other fitness places, any ideas are great.

Along with venue ideas, please also steer me towards a contact person.

TIA

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Veloise:

How about the campus of the Kent ISD/Kent Career Technical Center? I think it meets and exceeds your requirements.

Free parking, close to the East Belt/I96, and all kinds of riding types(including bike trail access on Leffingwell).

Google Map Linky

You would call the facilities department at - 365-2290.

Since we're sharing ideas on where to propose or get hitched or have a reception or feed the visiting fam, perhaps y'all can help with this slightly different request..

Looking for a venue where folks new to transportation cycling can be gently led through a bicycle commuting workshop.

Requirements:

--A building with indoor plumbing, and classroom or social hall-type meeting space on the ground floor

--Large open parking lot (with minimal hazards, broken glass, cruisers or doughnut-turners)

--Variety of streets, ranging from neighborhood to arterial

One of the instructors is pressing for a suburban locale, thinking that "people won't come downtown" and the suburbanite demographic is more likely to pay for someone to learn 'em how to ride a bicycle. However, this is likely going to be a multi-year thing, like an adult ed class offered through Parks & Rec. Multiple suggestions and jurisdictions are very helpful. I'm sure that a church facility would work (except that it's a fixed site and then there's the denominational thing). School systems, ISDs, libraries with big parking lots, Ys or other fitness places, any ideas are great.

Along with venue ideas, please also steer me towards a contact person.

TIA

Archived