Polo Shirt Mafia

JBGB

I went to Tyber Creek tonight and noticed everyone there was wearing Polo Shirts. This made me think that Ed's Tavern has also been invaded by polo shirt wearing people. What has happened to Dilworth? I have lived in this part of Charlotte for some time now and all of a sudden there is a influx of yuppie kids invading it. South End has started to build so many high-rent apartments that I am afraid more rich parent kids are going to invade this area of Charlotte.

My friend and I were watching the Panthers game at Tyber Creek and he was applauding the game, which he was asked to stop clapping or be kicked out. Yet the acoustic guy trying to play Radiohead was turned up? When was trying to have pride in your home team looked down upon and considered rude while some kid trying to be something he will never be, be rewarded? Charlotte needs more heart and definitely soul. Unfortunately this place has a long way to go to be called a city.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went to Tyber Creek tonight and noticed everyone there was wearing Polo Shirts. This made me think that Ed's Tavern has also been invaded by polo shirt wearing people. What has happened to Dilworth? I have lived in this part of Charlotte for some time now and all of a sudden there is a influx of yuppie kids invading it. South End has started to build so many high-rent apartments that I am afraid more rich parent kids are going to invade this area of Charlotte.

My friend and I were watching the Panthers game at Tyber Creek and he was applauding the game, which he was asked to stop clapping or be kicked out. Yet the acoustic guy trying to play Radiohead was turned up? When was trying to have pride in your home team looked down upon and considered rude while some kid trying to be something he will never be, be rewarded? Charlotte needs more heart and definitely soul. Unfortunately this place has a long way to go to be called a city.

There is very little left of Dilworth that is not pricey. I live within sight of Ed's Tavern in one of the few old affordable quads apts left around here. Have a lease this time around, after having moved down the block when my last building got sold. I would like for these places to remain but they are all going to be condoed eventually. Personally I would rather live in an old smaller place with some character than a brand new overly dense complex. The rents on these new places in Southend and Dilworth are ridiculous anyway. Studios start at 1k a mth at Camden Dilworth and I pay a little more than half that for a one bedroom in an old building.

Relative to Myers Park, Dilworth is more laidback and less preppy but that is not saying much. Funny you should mention the neighborhood bar scene. Earlier this week someone was telling me that Ed's has been "discovered" and it's not "cool" anymore. I guess "cool" is different for everyone.

There is very little left of Dilworth that is not pricey. I live within sight of Ed's Tavern in one of the few old affordable quads apts left around here. Have a lease this time around, after having moved down the block when my last building got sold. I would like for these places to remain but they are all going to be condoed eventually. Personally I would rather live in an old smaller place with some character than a brand new overly dense complex. The rents on these new places in Southend and Dilworth are ridiculous anyway. Studios start at 1k a mth at Camden Dilworth and I pay a little more than half that for a one bedroom in an old building.

Relative to Myers Park, Dilworth is more laidback and less preppy but that is not saying much. Funny you should mention the neighborhood bar scene. Earlier this week someone was telling me that Ed's has been "discovered" and it's not "cool" anymore. I guess "cool" is different for everyone.

Ah, the Common Market. Part deli, part convenience store, part urban outfitter, part wine bar, part pub, all style. The hub of hipster activity in Plaza-Midwood, bicycle commuters stop on their way home from work for a 24oz PBR and to shoot the breeze about the next bike polo meet-up or roller derby event.

Actually there is a dearth of any good coffee shops in the Charlotte area. There was once a coffee geeks club in Charlotte but it has not met, as far as I know, in a couple of years. Counter culture used to offer coffee tastings in Charlotte, someone posted here once about it, but I don't know if they still do. In any case I don't believe it was a place for the public to get coffee. For anyone in this area, who really wants good coffee, you really have to roast your own beans and then have the appropriate equipment to brew it. (also unavailable in CLT)

If you don't want to go through this trouble I would suggest that Carribou has the next best coffee but it's quite a few notches down in quality. I would then go to either Dunkin Doughnuts or McDonalds (they use beans roasted in Concord), and make sure that you go to one that has a super automatic espresso machine. The nasty vile stuff they sell in the grocery stores here that is called gourmet should not be called coffee.

Actually there is a dearth of any good coffee shops in the Charlotte area. There was once a coffee geeks club in Charlotte but it has not met, as far as I know, in a couple of years. Counter culture used to offer coffee tastings in Charlotte, someone posted here once about it, but I don't know if they still do. In any case I don't believe it was a place for the public to get coffee. For anyone in this area, who really wants good coffee, you really have to roast your own beans and then have the appropriate equipment to brew it. (also unavailable in CLT)

If you don't want to go through this trouble I would suggest that Carribou has the next best coffee but it's quite a few notches down in quality. I would then go to either Dunkin Doughnuts or McDonalds (they use beans roasted in Concord), and make sure that you go to one that has a super automatic espresso machine. The nasty vile stuff they sell in the grocery stores here that is called gourmet should not be called coffee.

CM should do quite well. They will fit in nicely with Niche and Phat Burrito. The clientele will most likely be more of a preppy/ psm mix than the original with the more upscale condo and apt projects going up in Southend. Common Market's laidback vibe works on every type though. I think it's great that they will have a presence on this side of town. I am also a big fan of Laurel Market South. I don't think they will be impacted negatively by the new CM. LMS is more focused on the daily lunch rush and that's mostly it. They have such great sandwiches :P

I'd be surprised if that ever happened. Their business is thriving as are all the businesses, as far as i know, on that little stretch. The owner isn't exactly someone who needs money, either, so he'd be a hard business to buy out. It is one of the main neighborhood hangouts for those in Wilmore and Southend. I think Common Market coming is a good sign that small owner-operator businesses are coming to the area, not leaving.

Archived